No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

took possession of a craigslisted harbor fright bike lift, used once and 175 bucks! Merry christmas to me (and my back)....
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
      took possession of a craigslisted harbor fright bike lift, used once and 175 bucks! Merry christmas to me (and my back)....
      Cool! I've been eyeballing those. How does the front wheel lock hold, secure enough?
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
        Cool! I've been eyeballing those. How does the front wheel lock hold, secure enough?
        Haven't tried it yet, BUT the consensus seems to be that the chock that comes with is pretty much garbage and is better replaced with something more robust, like: https://www.harborfreight.com/motorc...ock-60392.html

For what I paid, this is an easy upgrade.
        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I grabbed one over the weekend and so far love having a lift...prompted me to do my GS750 valves on Sunday.

Yeah the clamp (wouldn't even consider it a chock) is pretty much useless and I guess technically could `hold' a motorcycle upright but it would fall over if you sneezed. I would trust it + ratchet straps. So far I've just had the bike on the center stand.

1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
          1977 GS550
          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
            I am guessing the old RD has an injection oil pump with a adjustment screw for output like my Kaw triples did. You can just tweak the oil pump back a tad. It usually normal for minimal smoke at low throttle settings up to about half throttle. Wide open throttle always produced enough smoke on my Kaw to mask a navy destroyer. LOL
            Thanks for the input!!!

The motor needs to come out for a freshen up anyway, I was thinking the reed blocks should come apart and be cleaned. It's amazing how easy she fires up though...

thanks again!
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Yes, Merry Christmas. That lift is regular price $429.99.

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
              Haven't tried it yet, BUT the consensus seems to be that the chock that comes with is pretty much garbage and is better replaced with something more robust, like: https://www.harborfreight.com/motorc...ock-60392.html

For what I paid, this is an easy upgrade.
              Good call!

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
              I grabbed one over the weekend and so far love having a lift...prompted me to do my GS750 valves on Sunday.

Yeah the clamp (wouldn't even consider it a chock) is pretty much useless and I guess technically could `hold' a motorcycle upright but it would fall over if you sneezed. I would trust it + ratchet straps. So far I've just had the bike on the center stand.

Now, I want one!!!

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post

I am in the works to get a little Can-Am Bombardier 250 to haul wood, supply and dirt around the property.
                I had one for a couple of years, as an ex-Nato bike over here. Nice little runner, but a seat that felt like it was designed to carve turkeys if used for more than an hour.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Among other things .. I installed new Hagon Shocks today. Oh my my. I went over a piece of road I had to give up on previously with the original shocks because the bike was rattling to pieces but with the Hagons and My wife on back .. just a beautiful ride. Amazing transformation. While I dread doing the front springs if it brings anything close to the transformation the rear shocks did I am pumped.

So here is some things you should know ..
                  When you look up Hagon shocks on the net you come to

That site is dead. Hagon abandoned the US distributor and you will get an email from UK. Shipping from UK is kind of expensive and the order process is a little involved.

So I kept looking. After digging some more I found a post from Steve recommending Dave Quinn

The dude was an ABSOLUTE pleasure to deal with and made important recommendations regarding what I bought and he was dead on. If you are considering a shock swap you may want to speak with him.

I landed up with the Standard road shock with the standard rate spring but the wide spring and not the slim I went to buy. Looks much nicer on that chunky bike. I am about 200lbs clothed and my wife is about 120.

The second of three preload settings was absolutely perfect for the two of us. I didnt feel as if we would bottom out at all and it ate all the little bumps without even noticing them. I purposely drove over every damn manhole cover just to see.

Here is the best part .. I got all that upgrade in ride quality and all that pro advice for $235.64 shipped to AZ!

I have new rubbers on the way for the rear pegs and as soon as I get all running sorted out I will strategically apply some airbrush to the frame scars. UGH

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
                    Among other things .. I installed new Hagon Shocks today. Oh my my. I went over a piece of road I had to give up on previously with the original shocks because the bike was rattling to pieces but with the Hagons and My wife on back .. just a beautiful ride. Amazing transformation. While I dread doing the front springs if it brings anything close to the transformation the rear shocks did I am pumped.

So here is some things you should know ..
                    When you look up Hagon shocks on the net you come to

That site is dead. Hagon abandoned the US distributor and you will get an email from UK. Shipping from UK is kind of expensive and the order process is a little involved.

So I kept looking. After digging some more I found a post from Steve recommending Dave Quinn

The dude was an ABSOLUTE pleasure to deal with and made important recommendations regarding what I bought and he was dead on. If you are considering a shock swap you may want to speak with him.

I landed up with the Standard road shock with the standard rate spring but the wide spring and not the slim I went to buy. Looks much nicer on that chunky bike. I am about 200lbs clothed and my wife is about 120.

The second of three preload settings was absolutely perfect for the two of us. I didnt feel as if we would bottom out at all and it ate all the little bumps without even noticing them. I purposely drove over every damn manhole cover just to see.

Here is the best part .. I got all that upgrade in ride quality and all that pro advice for $235.64 shipped to AZ!

I have new rubbers on the way for the rear pegs and as soon as I get all running sorted out I will strategically apply some airbrush to the frame scars. UGH

Man that's a pretty bike!

Comment

Replacing a turn signal after my third 0.2 mph parking lot spill on my Wee Strom. Getting a fairing panel off is almost necessary, and I'm figuring out how to do it. PITN. After the signal is swapped, I have "crash bars" to install + protectors for radiator and oil cooler.
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

It was yesterday but ... installed new Sonic springs in my forks with beautiful clean fork oil. Oh what a dream ride!!

Also managed to install new rear peg rubber, go over all my valve cover bolts to stop the oil creep, successfully after today's test ride, and finally got around to installing the correct gas tank mounting hardware. Ok six hours of my day doing it all but there was plenty of beer and it was a balmy 77F so a very enjoyable day made even more enjoyable by today's ride!

So ... unless something breaks .. I am kinda done and wont have much more to contribute to this thread. I want to do chain and sprockets but they have some life left so I am going to wait until spring

Edited to add: Oh wait .. I just remembered I need a new horn ... well its something
                        Last edited by Guest; 12-31-2017, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Wheel maintenance and clean up of spoke wheels I had stored for many years. Found a nice matching 3.0" x 18" D.I.D. rim off of E-bay. It's a front wheel that was already laced up with a 18" take off rim previously with .165 S/S spokes. D.I.D. rim cane from a 79 KX400 dirt bike and was in great shape. Cleaned up dings and corrosion.
                          At work, we make a new sandpaper that is on rubber instead of paper. It allowed me to wrap the corroded spoke with a 320 grit. After de-greasing and polishing, the spokes look nice and fresh. Spokes looked worse than pictured rim. A new set of Nachi bearings and its off to the wheel shop to lace up my newly found rim. Will clean up hub while disassembled.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by limeex2; 12-31-2017, 05:45 PM.
                          Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                          Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                          Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Haven't done much since my last session until tonight. Finished assembling the front end, gauges, some wiring and checked the valves tonight. Kudos for Steve and his spread sheet, been using it for quite some time now and it was great looking back at just how much adjustment these shims and bucket systems don't need. A total of 3 shims needed in the last 35,000kms. and that includes the 1 shim needed this evening.
                            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Finally got around to replacing the pre-amp board on our Hammond T-500. About 1.5 hours of work, electrical is a somewhat new thing to me (solder old circuit boards). New Caps and the thing came back around... Speakers are my next on the list for replacement. It's my fiance's Grandmothers in which we inherited after she passed away in September. Nice to hear it come to life, hasn't run properly in nearly 25 years.

Moved it into the living room... To make room.

Then Yesterday I grabbed my "new to me" Hammond Concord. (E-series)

Great working good condition Full On Church organ... Sucker CRANKS, built in Lelsies , It's transistorized but the sound is Phenomenal. Shakes the house... It was free but I gave a donation to the church's youth group for helping me load it into my truck.

Mrs. Jedz toying...

It was a 4 hour round trip to snag... Maybe less then $200 into the whole ordeal for a not so desired Hammond... Definitely one of the better Key'd instruments I've played on... I enjoyed a Steinway & Sons Full Grand and a Hammond B3 with 2 Aux Leslies more... But this one is definitely one of my favorites... For a 73 it's in very good shape....

So at 525lbs, there was some definite wrenching going on yesterday
                              Last edited by Jedz123; 01-08-2018, 08:36 PM.
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                              Originally posted by Hayabuser
                              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
                                It was yesterday but ... installed new Sonic springs in my forks with beautiful clean fork oil. Oh what a dream ride!!

Also managed to install new rear peg rubber, go over all my valve cover bolts to stop the oil creep, successfully after today's test ride, and finally got around to installing the correct gas tank mounting hardware. Ok six hours of my day doing it all but there was plenty of beer and it was a balmy 77F so a very enjoyable day made even more enjoyable by today's ride!

So ... unless something breaks .. I am kinda done and wont have much more to contribute to this thread. I want to do chain and sprockets but they have some life left so I am going to wait until spring

Edited to add: Oh wait .. I just remembered I need a new horn ... well its something
                                Go to a car parts place and get yourself a High tone horn and a relay switch. I did that to mine and now it has a REALLY GOOD LOUD Horn.
                                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                                X