what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fried wire

I was dreading checking the valve clearance not because of the valve clearance process but because of the PO's promise that there was "nothing wrong with this bike".
    a sure sign that there were some mysteries to be found as soon as I took the tank off.

Of course I didn't get to the valve clearance because what I found was one of the wires to the fuel gauge sender was fried and then covered with electrical tape that also melted. Somehow, the sender still worked, but the frayed. bare wires had to be replaced.
    100_3564.jpg

and I cleaned up the non-existent alarm wiring that was all leading to a dead end.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
      I replaced the Vance & Hines slip-ons with a full Rinehart exhaust system on the Sportster. Loaded a new map on the efi controller but it's still not quite right on the bottom end, so I have asked Fuel Moto to do another map, after which, it'll be dyno time.
      Why doesnt the tuner adjust the map according to his findings on the dyno?
      Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
      Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
      Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
        Thanks Dave! Yes, I remember that very well! Must have been some of my earliest posts on GSR around January 2009!

Here is a photo where my son (#6) is struggling to stay ahead of the previous year's champion (#1) and nearly getting it crossed up into the corner!

The Walbro carb (very common on small 2-stroke engines) has 2 mixture adjustment needles (for low and high speed). On the 100cc engine in the go-kart the carb sits behind the driver and quite low down, so my son had to find the high speed needle "by feel" to adjust it when the engine started to get hot near the end of the races.

I strapped an old carb to a belt and made him wear it around the house, and practice to put his hand down and back to find the needle and tweak it slightly to make the mixture richer! I replaced the diaphragms after every race in order to ensure maximum performance, and we came second in the championship that year by 2 points, so I knew my way around those Walbro carbs!

Very glad to hear that your chain saw is running again Dave!
        Aren't 2 strokes fun! Go carts are so intense, precise.
        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Some work on the Fizzy!
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Today, realizing my state inspection sticker has a #8 on it, I headed to the dealer after work. When I got there I remembered that when I took the back wheel off to change tires last week, I noticed that the welded tab that secures the chain guard at the front was broken, and I just hadn't bothered to come up with a fix for it, and so hadn't bothered re-installing the chain guard. I asked the shop guy if a chain guard was necessary to pass inspection. He said, "unfortunately, yes". So back home I go with no new sticker.

After thinking about it for a while, and not wanting to spend any money, this is what I came up with. I'm no metal fabricator. But I have a dremel and a bench sander, and neccessity is the mother of invention.

Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yeah, I mentioned the HDs with the open belt primaries (which I think are really stupid and dangerous) to the guy . He said he doesn't pass those either.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                Today, realizing my state inspection sticker has a #8 on it, I headed to the dealer after work. When I got there I remembered that when I took the back wheel off to change tires last week, I noticed that the welded tab that secures the chain guard at the front was broken, and I just hadn't bothered to come up with a fix for it, and so hadn't bothered re-installing the chain guard. I asked the shop guy if a chain guard was necessary to pass inspection. He said, "unfortunately, yes". So back home I go with no new sticker.

After thinking about it for a while, and not wanting to spend any money, this is what I came up with. I'm no metal fabricator. But I have a dremel and a bench sander, and neccessity is the mother of invention.

That is pretty cool, Rich!

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

No pic's but I learnt a valuable lesson yesterday... wash your bikes!

Having a bad run with shocks at the moment. When I parked the 450 for my time off from work I noticed the left shock was leaking. It's an Ikon and I have a spare seal here so I can rebuild it.

When I parked the Kat after my Saturday ride last weekend I discovered on Sunday a pool of shock oil coming from the right shock. It's a Koni so rebuildable, but I just went throught that on the left shock a few weeks back and they've only got around 3000km's on them since I rebuilt them initially, so I'm taking it as a not so subtle hint that I shouldn't bother. I've ordered some inexpensive JBS branded shocks for the Kat. I'll put the Koni's aside and think about them later.

Back to the 450 and my less learnt... because I never wash it (being my daily rider), crunchy road grime has built up around the shock and compromised the seal. The right one is fine but of course I'm going to wash it now to make sure it stays that way!

I'm currently battling the gland nut on the left shock so I can replace the seal.
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Used to be that gators were available after-market to protect shocks. Or so I heard.
                    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                      Used to be that gators were available after-market to protect shocks. Or so I heard.
                      Or a sleeve made from a section of old inner tube... fancy blinged- up ones cost more.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I have gaiters on the 450's front forks but hadn't contemplated any for the shocks. I do recall older shocks being completely covered though... probably worth investigating given the 450 gets parked on the footpath near work every day.

The new shocks on the Kat are effectively upside down, so the seals should be less prone to grime build up I would think.

Mind you, regular washing will now occur...

sigpic

Comment

Next year preps…

Looking to improve my track bike for next year, took some side photos for analysis of body position.
                          I just bolted on some new foot pegs to convenient bolt holes. Seems I don't need to buy setbacks, just lengthen the shift lever, brake lever is ok.
                          Looks like I need to relocate the clip-ons to below the top fork brace, and cut some off the body cowl to fit the clip-ons.
                          This summer I ground some sole off my boot tips, but I weren't leaned over adequately…meh.
                          New 2" higher foot pegs, brake lever not modified:

tuck, elbows are bent = bars too high.
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Ah interesting! That's the sort I was thinking of.

sigpic

Comment

I converted the front wheel to tubeless when I spooned on a new Shinko 230 Tour Master tire on the GS750E today.

After I went to NAPA and paid $5.12 for a valve stem, I found a 2-pack of the exact same stem in "Slime" packaging at Autozone for $4.99. Guess I should have tried there first!
                              Ron
                              When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                              1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                              1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                              1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Not really wrenching...but made a make shift paint booth in my garage today to paint my Yosh exhaust in preparation to install on my new to me 750

No signature

Comment

Working...
                                X