No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should have been minor to change oil and rotate tires. But my floor jack is in storage, so I used a scissors jack barely tall enough to get the car on jack stands. A PITA with odd repercussions not worth listing.

Also, my hood would not latch completely shut ('05 Accord). I squirted WD-40 on the latch and slightly moved it to no effect. Then I squirted liquid (not aerosol) Liquid Wrench on it. A couple of hours later, it apparently dissolved the crud and the latch now works properly again.

Tom
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I worked for 12 hours on a conveyor belt unit yesterday upgrading it from an electric clutch to VFD control.. I’m an HVAC Tech, so not surprisingly, it went slow and painfully. And while Its just mechanics and electrical circuits, the poor workmanship by others left the provided wiring schematics only a suggestion. Frustrating. My back hurts today....
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Did not have to wrench on anything, bikes are set up great!!!
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

After a year of reading about how my Shunt RR was going to cause my stator to explode, certainly scorching my testicles and leaving me with a motionless bike in the desert surrounded by rattlesnakes and no water just waiting .. no... praying to die ...

I installed an Sh775 today!

I checked and it is charging the battery so if I can get some lowered heat in my case in the AZ heat and save a stator .. it was worth the $50.00. Oh .. and it may save my testicles.

Comment

After last weekend my chain and sprockets on the KLR were full of sand. Since I had a clip master link, I pulled the chain and cleaned it in some kerosene. While that was drying cleaned off the sand filled funk around the sprockets. The kerosene made the chain look new again. Once reinstalled I gave it a shot of lube and turned to give the 850 some love.

I had 2500 miles on this T4 oil and wanted to try the STP additive mentioned in another thread. (Thanks Mr Leftlostcommonsense)
            I have a couple of minor weeping gaskets and hope the thick honey type stuff will find it's way to those spots and plug the little holes. Also wanted to see if in this summer heat it would run quieter and shift smoother. It really hasn't been problematic unless I run the oil too long.
            Also, I cleaned the foam air filter with some paint thinner, oiled and reinstalled it.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Finished putting the stock exhaust back on. Much much better. Nice and quiet, and it even runs better. Now to figure out why I can't get the front brakes bled properly. Plus, just noticed today my fork seals are leaking. ****e!
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Full fork rebuild, fresh breaks on Suzie Q. Next, valve adjust and check sync.

V
                Gustov
                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                80 GS 550 L
                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

It's getting to be in the upper 90's in my garage after noontime but there's still stuff to do. I find wrenching on these machines to be more fun these days, in spite of the heat.

Last night I got the braided stainless steel brake lines installed on the KLR. I had waited for this one way check valve for months to come in the mail. I ordered it on Amazon for a few bucks and thought I'd give it a try. What a waste of time and money! It takes more pressure than the MC pumps to open the valve. I tossed it in the trash and bled the brakes as usual.

That stool is the best thing since buttered toast! A friend gave it to me for helping him get his bike running. I don't think I ever would have purchased one for myself but I love it!!
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I decided I would clean and sort all my tools today. I may finish by the end of the week.
                    tedious thing driving off then chucking tools in whatever spot is easiest when you get back tired.
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Just sick of dealing with that fairing... Chased an electrical gremlin in the Bandit and replaced the throttle grip. Decided I was done with yards of plastic and installed a 78 Honda CB750 Headlight and worked the wires into the bucket... So much easier and Dang this Bandit looks AWESOME naked! Didn't know a GS was under there

Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                      Originally posted by Hayabuser
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post

That stool is the best thing since buttered toast! A friend gave it to me for helping him get his bike running. I don't think I ever would have purchased one for myself but I love it!!
                        They are not bad, but don't expect it to last forever.

I had one a few years ago. The wheels don't have much in the way of bushings/bearings, so they stopped rolling in about a year. I replaced them. A new set of wheels cost more than the stool. With the new wheels, the stool was back in business, but only until the support under the top broke off. I considered getting it welded, but decided against it. I have since come up with another mobile stool or two, so far they are doing a bit better.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          They are not bad, but don't expect it to last forever.

I had one a few years ago. The wheels don't have much in the way of bushings/bearings, so they stopped rolling in about a year. I replaced them. A new set of wheels cost more than the stool. With the new wheels, the stool was back in business, but only until the support under the top broke off. I considered getting it welded, but decided against it. I have since come up with another mobile stool or two, so far they are doing a bit better.

I doubt I'll put as many miles on mine as you, but thanks for the heads up.
                          Roger

Current rides
                          1983 GS 850G
                          2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Did my first oil change on the Bandit today. I learned this will be a definite exercise in patience for this bike much more so than the GS but it's not that hard to do
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Rebuilt the rear caliper on the GS750 this morning before the temp got too high in the garage. Oh, how I hate brake fluid! Stops better now and no brake fluid leaking anymore!
                              Ron
                              When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                              1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                              1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                              1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Got tired of looking at the rusty valve cover bolts, so I swapped them out.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
                                X