No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I started out by dropping my 82' Ktm495 down from my man cave, adjusted the clutch, changed the tranny fluid, cleaned the air filter and mixed up a fresh batch of fuel/bean oil/octane booster so I can take her out for a good ride tomorrow....then of course I found my way out the back door to my shop and picked away a little more on the 81 1100e such as reinstall headlight after cleaning, we sprockets and x ring chain, polished up chain guard went back on and the rebuilt calipers and masters got hooked up to the new Paragon ss lines and bled. Tomorrow is a new day!
    Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

-1981 Suzuki GS1100E
    -1975 Honda CB400 Super Sport
    -1981 Vespa P200E
    -1990 Ktm 540 dxc
    -1982 Ktm 495
    -1981 Ktm 495
    -1989 Atk 406
    -1987 Cr 500R
    -1982 Yz 125

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
      Steve, does that 6 cylinder beast have screw adjusters or shim in bucket?
      24 shim and bucket to check.
      Same as the carbs, you don't get good at it you just get better.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Fixed a fuel leak on the V-Strom. There’s a short piece of fuel hose that connects the two injector bodies, down in the vee. Leaking there is a common problem, and I had “fixed” it a couple years back, with better hose and clamps. But it started leaking again, so had get in there and tighten the clamps. PITA to get to.
        Much prefer working on race bikes, lot less crap in the way.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post

There's something different about this 1100E. Maybe it's the red plug wires...
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Haha yes, they are very rare, made of red turbonium!

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
            There's something different about this 1100E. Maybe it's the red plug wires...
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Got started today.....

THe ol' Five Gallon bucket has become a very important tool for me in recent years.
              Well, two of them, one on each side.

Probably Will start a thread, at some point. I can predict I Am gonna need some advise (advise at a minimum).

Last edited by Redman; 04-29-2020, 06:59 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Both my CBR600 and GS1100G had carb issues, so I haven't been able to ride them…bummer.
                Turned out the CBR600 was ok, I just used winter level choke and flooded it, thought so. After a week it started just fine with no choke.

The way the GS would start but run weak and not idle, seemed like one carb was bad.
                Pulled them out today, and checked cleaned every carb jet. Number one had a small sludge deposit in the bowl, and the emulsion tube was up a bit, could not get the main jet to catch it. Maybe the jet got a bit loose, I dunno but the bike's idling well now.

Too friggin cold, wet and windy for a joy ride today, later this weekend will be warm and sunny.
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

The following story is true, names have been omitted to protect the ignorant.

Answered an ad on the local Faecesbook "garage sale" page, someone was looking for a mechanic with a VOM to help diagnose a problem with their throttle position sensor. Figured what the heck, a reason to get out awhile.

"Sure, I can drop by, I'll base my fee upon how much of a pain in the butt you are to deal with. That said, If you have a can of cola on hand that'll be fine"

Found a web page that described checking it out with the pinouts for the connecting cable. The sensor checked OK and I started working my way back by hooking up to the pins in the cable to see if the problem was upstream from there. Sure enough, it was!

"OK, hop in the car, turn the key on but don't try to start it"

He does

"OK, slowly push down on the gas pedal"

"My gas pedal is stuck all the way down"

We unwadded the floor mat from around the pedal. Car started and ran fine.

"Well that would do it, how did you know to check the throttle position sensor?"

"I asked on an internet forum"

Oh well, it was worth the $20 he offered afterward but a can of cola would still have been good enough based on how many times this story will be retold, it's gonna get a lot of milage.
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                  1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                  LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                    The following story is true, names have been omitted to protect the ignorant.

Answered an ad on the local Faecesbook "garage sale" page, someone was looking for a mechanic with a VOM to help diagnose a problem with their throttle position sensor. Figured what the heck, a reason to get out awhile.

"Sure, I can drop by, I'll base my fee upon how much of a pain in the butt you are to deal with. That said, If you have a can of cola on hand that'll be fine"

Found a web page that described checking it out with the pinouts for the connecting cable. The sensor checked OK and I started working my way back by hooking up to the pins in the cable to see if the problem was upstream from there. Sure enough, it was!

"OK, hop in the car, turn the key on but don't try to start it"

He does

"OK, slowly push down on the gas pedal"

"My gas pedal is stuck all the way down"

We unwadded the floor mat from around the pedal. Car started and ran fine.

"Well that would do it, how did you know to check the throttle position sensor?"

"I asked on an internet forum"

Oh well, it was worth the $20 he offered afterward but a can of cola would still have been good enough based on how many times this story will be retold, it's gonna get a lot of milage.
                    Sounds like this was a cable throttle? Sometimes the solution is the easiest one.
                    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

There wasn't a cable that ran to the TPS, my guess is there's a potentiometer up under there somewhere that's sending the signal to the TPS. Couldn't quite get myself in to where I could see it but no matter, unwadding the floor mat did the trick.
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Broken mouse pad.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I worked on my '66 Honda S90. A guy i know was having an anniversary and wanted to "recreate" a first date.
                          Apparently there wasn't quite as much room on the bike 50 years later. haha.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

volts.jpg

Had some electrical gremlins and sorted that out but thought it would be nice to know when trouble is afoot. Hence the voltmeter and charging part unit. Battery is holding 13.2 or so till startup.
                            1985 GS1150E 22k miles Work in progress

Comment

Bought another gs650g, the state of it was worse than I thought from the pictures, but the price was so low I couldn't argue.

The tires are from 2007, the bike is currently in a crank no start, the battery is dead, it has no spark, it leaks from at least 2 differrent spots, it's hard to find neutral gear(right below 2nd gear), the choke cable is broken and it has a lot of new electrical tape behind the headlight(assuming something shorted a lot of stuff out since it had 3 fuses blown).
                              So in other words, I got a busy summer when this bike is going to get sold again.
                              Attached Files

Comment

A 650GM! Neat little baby kat! That should be a fun bike when you get it sorted.

Dogma
                                --
                                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                                '80 GS850 GLT
                                '80 GS1000 GT
                                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                                X