No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill, I'm enjoying watching the evolution of this this bike. Looks good.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
      Ok, 2 months 'til next track day:
      Working on fiberglass tailpiece/seat.
      Built a support structure that will support my weight and is securely bolted to the frame.
      Total sleeper Kat! Where's the first trackday gonna be?
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
        Total sleeper Kat! Where's the first trackday gonna be?
        The outfit I ride with Sportbike Track Time (schedule), has already begun it's season in Alabama. 1st day in Michigan will be 4/20/19. Not sure when I'll sign up, depends on forecast.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Started the rebuilt 850 in earnest to see what the exhaust sounded like...

The phone tends to pick up the treble more than anything and doesn't really give much of an idea what it sounds like. It's a fair bit bassier than this, without being loud.
          The alarming rattles are things bouncing around on the worktop, nothing terminal in the engine.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Does it sound like a Harley?
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Does it sound like a Harley?
              Oddly, it sounds a little more Harley-esque than the Motad did. Obviously not because there's a big twin thumping along, but some of the design aims of the Harley muffler team are still there, even without the full packing inside. There's an interesting growly bark that might show itself more when under load and higher rpm.
              ---- Dave
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Fitting the wiring to the Pantera fairing.
                I tried to work with the original wiring within, but just got pee'd off with it and howked it out and threw it on the floor in disgust.
                A simple thing like a headlight, two sidelights and two indicators involved some PO clown using six Scotchloks. There's no excuse for such shoddy wiring practice.
                I joined new lengths on and simply soldered and heatshrunk the joints (wrapped joints, of course) so there will be no worries about the lights staying on in the dark.
                ---- Dave

Comment

While re-installing my exhaust, I noticed a dent in the left muffler apparently caused by the center stand. Wondering why, closer inspection revealed a spot for a missing cushion to prevent the stand from slamming into the muffler. After rifling through the magical box of miscellaneous GS parts (everybody's got one or a dozen of those, right?), I found something I thought I could use, an extra seat pan rubber cushion. I cut it in half and installed it with a screw (ala drywall anchor) so it would split out the nub and hold it secure in the hole. I'm not worried about it coming out. The stand is tight against it while it's up.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Ah..... it's the little things sometimes, isn't it? That "dent" in the muffler may have been put there by the factory, so that the center stand could come up just a little bit higher.

Comment

Wasn’t sure about the dent in the muffler being from the factory or not. Anybody know for sure. Not that it matters. Just curious is all.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                        Wasn’t sure about the dent in the muffler being from the factory or not. Anybody know for sure. Not that it matters. Just curious is all.
                        I used to own that very same bike! So, I remember I put a precise indentation into the muffler just so the center stand would not bump it. Sent a photo to Suzuki and lo, they forever after replicated my indentation in all subsequent GS mufflers!!!
                        You are the present keeper of my original ingenious muffler with indentation!!! …()

Comment

Extra washer in the oil pan???

Finally got around to dropping the oil pan on the 78 GS1000 to see what it looked like in there. Lo and behold it was super clean with the exception of an added washer.

IMG_0197.jpg

Its 13mm ID X 25mm OD and .75mm thick. I think it is off of the starter gear that comes off when you remove the stator cover. I have not removed the stator cover to check for sure. It just looks a lot like the ones I saw in my 78 GS750. Anyone else seen one fall off and wind up in the bottom of the oil pan?
                          Ron
                          When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                          1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                          1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                          1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                          1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
                            Finally got around to dropping the oil pan on the 78 GS1000 to see what it looked like in there. Lo and behold it was super clean with the exception of an added washer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57551[/ATTACH]

Its 13mm ID X 25mm OD and .75mm thick. I think it is off of the starter gear that comes off when you remove the stator cover. I have not removed the stator cover to check for sure. It just looks a lot like the ones I saw in my 78 GS750. Anyone else seen one fall off and wind up in the bottom of the oil pan?
                            Yep; it's a common thing that POs do. Probably hundreds of GSs running around with those washers in the oil pan.
                            ---- Dave

Comment

what I worked on Sunday…

First start up since valve job; Saturday, then street tested Sunday.
                              Wow, took me 5 hours Sunday to put all the body panels, mirrors, windshield, signal lights plus fabricate a new plate bracket.
                              Test rode it 12 miles with 2 stop sign drag tests with moderation, 9-10,000 rpm shifts. Not accurate but I think it was doing 0 to 100mph in 7 secs! Ok, well seemed like it…
                              Just got into 3rd to pop from 90 to 100mph, then coast down to 65mph. Started to rain a bit, plus I was in my raggy work pants, so I put it away.
                              These are it's street legal clothes;
                              Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 03-25-2019, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Test rode it 12 miles with 2 stop sign drag tests with moderation, 9-10,000 rpm shifts. Not accurate but I think it was doing 0 to 100mph in 7 secs!
                                Addicting, isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                X