Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]60086[/ATTACH]

Funky *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$e, but it works great.
    Interesting...and clever.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Got these installed today. Didn't have to remove the legs at all, just slotted in nicely from the top, with pre-load that might be usable enough. The springs weren't listed for the 850 or 1000, but I'd chosen a set to upgrade the 1100ES, which has a small factory fairing, so erring in the right direction.
      Old springs that came out were an unknown set that came with the GS1000 fork legs, but were definitely tired.
      Old spring measurements: 3.8mm thick, 13.75" long, with a 5" spacer.
      New spring measurements: 4.52mm, 15" normal coil + 4" close-spaced coil, 19" long.

The acid test was shoving it off the centre stand and pulling it back on again. Happy to find it was about the same (maybe even slightly easier) as running the old springs with max air pressure (about 20psi), but that's with the fairing off.
      Preload is probably ok, sag isn't properly measured yet, but pointless just now as the fairing is still off.
      However, I'm relieved that it works. I wasn't sure if I would have to cut springs shorter or not. If it ends up that I have to cut the close-wound coils off and put the spacers back in, then so be it. Now I know where I am with a starting point.

I ended up choosing Wilbers as the price was right, and straight-rate springs over here are more difficult to find for the GSs, and where they can be found, aren't very cheap. I'd have bought Sonic, but the shipping and duty doubled the cost.
      Last edited by Grimly; 01-23-2020, 04:57 PM.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60086[/ATTACH]

Funky *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$e, but it works great.
        cool invention would eliminate a lot of cursing, won't help put on a tire that refuses to inflate and go back on the bead. I was defeated by a Battlax that I struggled with for two weeks, finally I gave up and took to a local shop to install, it was a humbling experience.
        1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Wired my YZF R1 kill/starter into the GS, wouldn't start hmmmm. Different set up than the GS k/s switch but thought I had it all figured out. No power anywhere, wth!

I started it up fine before I remove the carbs. I sit and stare stumped as to what could be wrong.

Check battery, good

Tranny in neutral.

Checked fuse box, twice.

Checked my new wiring, all tight.

Checked everywhere for lose connections found one by the air box, it had come loose when I removed the air box when I still intending to go with pods. Better, now the instruments light up but still no ignition.

Search some more and I find another connection that had come loose, not what I was looking for but now the horns work again.

Check wiring for power to switch, yup good there.

Sit and stare some more, consult the schematics again, remove new yamaha switch and hook up the oem kill/start, still nothing! Look at schematics some more.....hmmm it's gotta be something stupidly simple.

I decide to quit and start over tomorrow then it hit me, dummy!!!! I forgot that unlike my CBX needs the GS needs the clutch pulled in to start! LOL fixed.
          Last edited by wyly; 01-23-2020, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
            cool invention would eliminate a lot of cursing, won't help put on a tire that refuses to inflate and go back on the bead. I was defeated by a Battlax that I struggled with for two weeks, finally I gave up and took to a local shop to install, it was a humbling experience.
            it can be a brute, alright. and the BT45s were tight fits on my 650.....for me, the solution is always bead-soap and MORE AIR! I cringe, but it's what works, even with my tiny air-compressor.

..yes it's pretty ugly what I made there..a tire rim, a long bolt through a table, and some scrap junk from my heap. So I've used it 3 times with good result..the POINT of it was , if I try to use the lever-under-wall trick or similar, my entire wall lifts! so I was using wood-clamps to squeeze the tire off and that's even uglier. Burque ? had good results with the fancy MotionPro tool but ..I'm tight about the price+shipping if I can make something..

(I wonder if I couldn't use a spare car tire ON the rim? it'd be a better cushion...I'll try it on the rear)
            Last edited by Gorminrider; 01-24-2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

it can be a brute, alright. and the BT45s were tight fits on my 650.....for me, the solution is always bead-soap and MORE AIR! I cringe, but it's what works, even with my tiny air-compressor.

..yes it's pretty ugly what I made there..a tire rim, a long bolt through a table, and some scrap junk from my heap. So I've used it 3 times with good result..the POINT of it was , if I try to use the lever-under-wall trick or similar, my entire wall lifts! so I was using wood-clamps to squeeze the tire off and that's even uglier. Burque ? had good results with the fancy MotionPro tool but ..I'm tight about the price+shipping if I can make something..

(I wonder if I couldn't use a spare car tire ON the rim? it'd be a better cushion...I'll try it on the rear)
              Even the shop that put my tire on struggled with it despite their commercial compressor and a handful of tire lube, their first question to me was "Are you sure this is a tubeless rim?"

It would be nice to own the proper tools but the investment required for something I do very infrequently is questionable, and I've already got a garage overflowing with tools, space is scarce. When you get yours perfected share the knowledge and post it.

Comment

Replaced my front brake lines with fresh OEM (yeah, SS are better...next time), complete with new banjo bolts, crush washers and even a new grommet for the MC line. Fluid was like pancake syrup! Nice & clean now & firm at the handle. One whoops while bleeding thou-the hose blew off the RH bleeder while back flushing with syringe & spewed acorss the bottom of the motor (cleaned that off right quick!!). Otherwise it was easy-peasy. Rears come next.
                '78 GS750E (currently undergoing TLC).

Comment

Got my electrical issues sorted, final fiddly carb hookup issues sorted (should've hooked up fuel lines before I installed carbs)couldn't think of anything else so it time to see if it would fire up.

Choke, a little squirt from the accelerator pump, start and it fired up on the first try ...once warm idled at 1000. I heard feedback from others who said Mikuni's were virtually plug n play right from the box, may need a little tweaking come spring but I'm quite happy with the result so far.

Certainly louder with the new Hindle pipes, throttle response was crisp and smooth, it was very good day. My mechanic friend estimates I should end up with a gain of 15-20hp. Excited for riding weather to arrive.
                  Last edited by wyly; 01-27-2020, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Did an oil/filter change on my wife's 2016 GSX-S750 this afternoon... did one on my VanVan200 last night.

Oils well that ends well!
                    2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                    2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                      Got my electrical issues sorted, final fiddly carb hookup issues sorted .
                      Well,.... tell us.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

GOt the GK fairing off and into the basement workshop.
                        (Will post more about the "what for" sometime.)

But I come to realize this is why I like the GK (and GS in general): I was familiar with it and knew what to do, and did it in short order, maybe like 12 minutes, and I was carrying the fairing downstairs.

>>
                        Link to posting.
                        Last edited by Redman; 01-28-2020, 09:42 PM. Reason: link

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

IMG_1549.jpgI disliked the huge license plate light assembly from day one they didn't have LEDs back in the day, tidied it up and shed some weight at the same time. Now I need to do something about the indicators with the old plate light is gone they really stick out. I'll take off the front indicators they're 2" shorter to see how they mount if the same I know where I can get a pair locally. Or I could shed an extra 1/2 lb with aftermarket LEDs.

Comment

I gave mine a shave and a haircut years ago.
                            http://IMG_2566 by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
                            Last edited by dorkburger; 01-31-2020, 10:24 PM.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                              I gave mine a shave and a haircut years ago.
                              It's a vast improvement vs oem, I may still shave the bottom of the fender off later. Not sure I can legally tuck my plate up as high as you did. And you did the indicators too!!!

Comment

Got the fizzy put back together after cleaning out the oil pan and pickup screen and replacing seals on the water/oil pump. Fired it up and it still has that rattle valve sound up top. Very frustrated with it and myself right now. Any body wanna buy a cheap project bike?
                                Current Bikes:
                                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
                                X