No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did some wrenching today on the Triumph, buttoning it up after replacing the chain, sprocket set and rear pads. Took me most of the day since I decided to go across the bridge to the Iowa Motorsports demo day. Got to ride a '22 Yamaha Tracer GT. 1st time for me to experience the quick shifter thingy. Weird if you are not used to it and didn't know how to use it the right way.
    95° here today with high humidity so it took all day as my garage was quite warm.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post

sometimes you have to get creative.
      Nice. I ended up buying a cheap bag of 3mm ball bearings on Amazon for $6. I did also loose a spring for the side to side turn signal detent so it's not working quite right at the moment, but functional enough for now. Boy was it a bear to get back together with the wiring still hanging off the bike. My buddy is supposed to be sending me a good spare LH switch assy to take apart for spares. I originally took this whole blasted thing apart trying to diagnose inop turn signals. Ended up being A) a loose rear turn signal wire and B) the self canceling "box" which when I unplugged, I got my turn signals back. Not sure what that might mean but I don't really miss that feature. I'll try to get everything "right" later, right now I'm just trying to get the bike sorted enough to take on a nice tour of PA with my brother on his old XS750F (I'll write up a trip report on here).
      Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
      Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Comment

Hey, I'm in PA. If you're going to be anywhere near the middle of the Commonwealth, say between State College and Bloomsburg W-E, and between Williamsport and Harrisburg N-S, give me a holler. Maybe we can meet up.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          Hey, I'm in PA. If you're going to be anywhere near the middle of the Commonwealth, say between State College and Bloomsburg W-E, and between Williamsport and Harrisburg N-S, give me a holler. Maybe we can meet up.
          Will do! We're starting out from Pennsylvania Furnace Friday July 8 and riding out to end up over at Kettle Creek State Park by the end of the day where we camp overnight, last year on the ride home we ended up getting lunch at the Kavkaz restaurant east of Logantown off the I80 exit there (highly recommend). Let me know if you're around and I'd love to coordinate a meetup!

Comment

So that would be July 9th you'd be in Loganton? (not Logantown). That's very close to me (about 30 min) and I've ridden by Kavkas may times and wondered about it. Looks good, definitely interested. Message me if you want my phone #. Had to look up Pennsylvania Furnace, never heard of it, looks like its just west of State College (Penn State).
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I've just completed a ten week project to rewire of my efe eliminating all the oem switches, fuses and relays. It was intimidating at first staring at the mass of electrical spaghetti lying on the floor realizing there was no going back, I know bugger all about electrical systems the biggest rewire I had done previously was 2 stroke enduro a four decades back. Previously my approach to electrical has always been if it ain't broke leave it alone but my alloy fairing conversion left unsightly electrical components exposed and the new electrical system installed would solve that. Only after I was well into the rewire I realized I could've accomplished it by merely relocating components lol. A far simpler wiring solution than Suzuki ever envisioned.

Anyway $1500 later it's done and it works, I've upgraded to 21st century technology with M-unit Blue and Motoscope gauge from Motogadget. An amazing bit of kit keyless start, zero to 60 recording, g force, gps mapping to my phone, maintenance tracking, brake and indicator light flash rate customization, security, Ping bike locator and many more features.

I'd post pictures but that requires too many hoops to jump through on this site.
              1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                I.
                Wow, sounds like you have dealt with a lot of details and technical "hoops" for all that retrofit.

Note: Since forum update a couple months ago, you can now upload photo directly (one per post). THe "upload attatchment" button on lower left.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Cool dry day today, low 70s this evening, got some time in garage.

Finally figured out that all that stuff (fuse block, solenoid, ignitor, etcetera) that I thought of as being mounted to the battery box, is actually mounted to a plate/bracket. And that plate/bracket is mounted to the battery box by two screws.

Ah, with that understanding, was lot easier to get out the battery box.

There is the dunnage Honda R/R I installed about 10-12 years ago. (Installed it without removing the battery box - was a pain.)

Now for the next part of the project to install the SH775 (Which is a little bigger, and mount holes not quite align.) and the truimph wiring harness.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Redman.Be sure to add a good earth to the mount plate
                    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
                      Yep. The body of the R/R doesn't need to be grounded ("earthed"), but, for example, the body of the solenoid does ground to that plate. And if that plate is just rubber mounted and the ground wire is left out or doesn't have a good strong connection, then, well, you will be sad.

I've found this more than once on old bikes.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
                        Yep, Did that long time ago.
                        Added my own "Ground" wire from solenoid mount screw (in that mount plate/bracket) to frame ground, and one from that frame ground to batt negative.
                        These to supplement the blk/wht wire there on solenoid mount screw from the wiring harness that is suppose to "ground" that plate/bracket.

Thanks UKGSNUT & Brain.

Comment

I replaced a truck caliper and pined for the fjords
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post

Ah, the lovely fjords of the GTA.
                            1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
                            New project 1979 GS1000S
                            Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                              Huh, didn't figure you being a fan of Rob.
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I'm lucky enough to live a short ride away from Brian (bwringer) so he graciously offered to go through my 1100E's electrical system before my PA tour this week. Got rid of that little headlight loop that had partially cooked a connector, cleaned up the fuse holders (will replace with a blade type fuse block soon). Result is notably less voltage drop at the headlight (brighter), and we found a bunch of bullet connectors in the headlight bucket that were hanging on by a prayer. Current (original?) stator is charging okay for now, will replace the stock r/r with the SH775 this winter. Thanks again Brian!

Comment

Working...
                                X