• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
    It's called tempering.

Softens and toughens the copper so it will deform enough to
    seal when tightened.
    I believe the washers are steel or aluminium? They are silver, not copper colored.
    GS1000G 1981

Comment

You have 6 new ones ?
      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

You have 6 new ones ?
        Yes. So if I lose one each oil change, Ill be good until the winter. 3000km oil changes. 4x 3000 is 12 000, about what Im planning to ride before the snow comes.

Hopefully Ill lose less, but I dont want to waste more prime season because of waiting. Tyre has taken far too long to replace.

Next season Ill make sure I have brand new tyres on before winter storage, and a second rear ready for the first change (and when I change it Ill order a new set).

I hope I can catch up with all the neglected work and have a stable touring machine next year that just works and gives me no hassle.
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

It's called tempering.

Softens and toughens the copper so it will deform enough to
          seal when tightened.
          I believe this refers to the drain plug washer.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Noreg, Rijko

i believe you guys are talking about 2 different types of washers. I believe Noreg has the type of single-use metal crush washer shown in my pic, and not a copper washer that some reuse after a heat/cool annealing process that should make them reusable. YMMV. Thanks for the reminder that I had this one on my workbench waiting for me to attempt removal of the crush washer. It’s stuck fast to the oil drain bolt. I now have some penetrating oil on it to try to free it. This type of washer crushes when you torque it down(up) on the underside of the oil pan. It is not reusable. This is the only one that’s ever given me a problem removing.
            Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 07-20-2020, 07:14 AM.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

you are absolutely right, Rich. Different washers.
              I also don't like the crushing kind.
              Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
              Bikecliff's website
              The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                Noreg, Rijko

i believe you guys are talking about 2 different types of washers. I believe Noreg has the type of single-use metal crush washer shown in my pic, and not a copper washer that some reuse after a heat/cool annealing process that should make them reusable. YMMV. Thanks for the reminder that I had this one on my workbench waiting for me to attempt removal of the crush washer. It’s stuck fast to the oil drain bolt. I now have some penetrating oil on it to try to free it. This type of washer crushes when you torque it down(up) on the underside of the oil pan. It is not reusable. This is the only one that’s ever given me a problem removing.
                I had that kind. I had to cut it off it was impossible to get more than 1/4th off the plug.

The shop gave me a new one for free. So I figure I will ask for one every time I buy new oil. And even if they charge me 20 cent for one I might as well.

I reused it the last time. Might explain the leak...
                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Yes. That would explain the leak. They are single-use.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Got the Suzuki put back together today after carb dip and clean. Lots of little piddling around while they were being cleaned. Replaced the left side handlebar grip and throttle tube and grip with one from Yamaha. Supposed to be an improvement with less wrist twisting to get to WOT.
                    Replaced a damaged choke cable that doesn't work right. Seems like it is too long.

Initial start up showed the bench synch was pretty good, then trying to adjust the air screws for best idle and discovered #2 spark plug wasn't firing. Changed that out and then carried out the balancing with the carb tune. Buttoned everything back up and will give it a test run tomorrow. Kind of excited to ride it again as it has been down way too long.
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Had a slow air leak in the front wheel, closely inspected the tire and no sign of puncture.
                      Took the wheel off and discovered the air valve was torn, came off too EZ.
                      Replaced that and expect the air leak will be gone.
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Put wheel back on, new rotor on the rear, new brake pads, new oil filter, new oil, new mirrors, fixed right switch gear. Removed some rust from the end of the axle too.
                        GS1000G 1981

Comment

After the K&N cone filter and MGB stub stack went on it was obvious that things were different, needing some adjustment.
                          So today; swapped in a red spring to the SU and dialed in the tickover. Weather foul, so a road test can wait.
                          It immediately settled down to a better idle than before though, so probably a good sign.
                          Also discovered the cam cover bolts were all slack-ish, so gave them a tweak.
                          No proper obvious oil leaks from the cover, but the last couple of journeys, there was a whiff of hot oil coming up from somewhere - probably that.
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

In all my years of riding, this was a first. Luckily it didn't make a huge mess, and only minimal acid came out. Good ad for sealed batteries I guess.

Other then that I spent some time going thru random clips and straps so my saddlebags and makeshift camera bag attachments all use the same clips.

I stuck a rubber plug in the hole.

http://Missing by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Yesterday I topped up the oil for the secondary drive. And changed the screws with new ikea screws. There was a washer for one of them, I assumed that goes in the whole? I used the same torque as the oil filter cover, but a bit confused if that is correct. I want to change the stator cover screws too, as you see they are a mix of rusty screws and some strange ikea screws.

I filled the oil in too quickly and had to wait for an eternity for it to drip out of the level hole. Being impatient there was a bad choice. Should I grease the spline for the gear shifter? It had some of that strange silver grease...

Today I made an elegant modification to my bicycle pump so I could pump my tyres. Apparently they were a bit low (I measured them AFTER riding).

I cut off the handle that locks the thing to the valve, so it would fit inside my rear tyre rims. I should buy a compressor and and angled valve or something. But the bike pump works well, it seems to struggle a bit over 40 psi.
                              GS1000G 1981

Comment

Today, stripped the rear GS1000 special-rig sidecar wheel that will wear the Darkside tyre.
                                On close examination of the drive splines it was obvious they were half worn - this came as a surprise, as it's a black flange and my other black flanges are pristine. Oh well, time to get a replacement, they're cheap enough used.
                                I suspect the extra loads put on the hub by it being on a sidecar rig for who know how many miles, have taken their toll, and it's possible the PO only ever greased it at tyre-change intervals (as normal) but the intervals running a car radial would have been much longer, so essentially it's down to lack of lube and maintenance.
                                My plan to re-use the original tyre tube valve hole to fit a tubeless valve was thwarted, as it's an 11mm hole there, so I need a larger valve stem body - easily got, but it adds to the annoyance factor.
                                The wheel bearings feel absolutely lovely, which makes me suspect they were replaced relatively recently, as I doubt very much they're the originals, especially not with the aforementioned sidecar loads on them.
                                ---- Dave
                                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                                X