what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scavenger hunt success !

Ran out of $$$ for my 1100 resto/mod, but just got an 80 gs 850 g. Went back to the place I got it and scoured the garage and barn looking for missing pieces. Got mirrors, swingarm pivot covers, Windjammer fairing/luggage set, bunch of GS screws +hardware in jars, a gasket or two,and some engine guards! Bonus! Oh, and I found the missing rear cowl! Gotta start peicing this thing back together.

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
      Beautiful result. Did you use any buffing compound?
      Originally posted by Tech73 View Post
      Those look so nice, good job
      Thanks guy's! yes I did use a black ebony bar compound. I had to start with that corse because they were in pretty bad shape. If they had been decent to start with I could have gotten away with a red rouge or even a white tripoli.

Comment

"What did I work on?"

NOTHING.

I'm out riding.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          "What did I work on?"

NOTHING.

I'm out riding.

Neither did I Steve, except I'm not out riding either

Now I'm just jealous
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

DAWG! Ok I rode to work... does that count?

Comment

New cooler plugs (D9EA) and an oil change (non-synthetic Castrol GTX 10W-40) for my '82 GS1100E, of course I had to ride it to warm it up which was nice. See if that takes care of my minor slip of the clutch when cold problem.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Too many anti wear additives in regular Automotive Castrol GTX 10W-40. That may be your clutch slippage problem. It would be better to use their 4T Motorcycle / ATV specific oil.

Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2011, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Or Castrol GTX Diesel 15w40...
                  Last edited by pete; 08-01-2011, 03:35 PM. Reason: Wrong viscosity...
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                    New cooler plugs (D9EA) ...
                    Just out of curiosity, ... why cooler plugs?

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Raptorlined the interior and trunk of my dads SCCA car, got the dash panels cut and brushed.
                      Throttle cable on the 750 snapped (fortunatly in the driveway) ordered new throttle and clutch cables.
                      Changed alt. On the XJ, and fixed the OBA
                      New headlights for the T/A

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
                        Too many anti wear additives in regular Automotive Castrol GTX 10W-40. That may be your clutch slippage problem. It would be better to use their 4T Motorcycle / ATV specific oil.

I took out the Ams Oil synthetic to see if it made any difference by putting in something non-synthetic. It didn't. The clutch slippage is minor
                        but annoying and only does it when first fired up. When it warms up it's gone.
                        sigpic
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Just out of curiosity, ... why cooler plugs?

It's just so darn blazing hot down here, so the bike runs hot with stock D8's in it, so I put in D9's so it wouldn't run as hot, didn't seem to make much difference though. GS1100E's just run hot. Stop and go traffic, 100 degrees, just plain hot. Soaked a T-shirt just getting through 4 red lights.
                          sigpic
                          Steve

Comment

Nothing bike related, but I had to replace one of our bathroom sinks and trap. Old one started leaking. In the process of changing out the trap, I discoverd such a nasty, disgusting clog in the trap and drain. I have no idea how that thing drained at all. Yuck!
                            Current Bikes:
                            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                              It's just so darn blazing hot down here, so the bike runs hot with stock D8's in it, so I put in D9's so it wouldn't run as hot, didn't seem to make much difference though. GS1100E's just run hot. Stop and go traffic, 100 degrees, just plain hot. Soaked a T-shirt just getting through 4 red lights.
                              You would be better served by installing an oil cooler. I also suggest using the stock ports on the engine case for your oil lines. I have seen some aftermarket kits that thread into the oil filter cover. This makes changing the filter a chore IMHO.
                              After installing mine the engine oil temps dropped significantly.

Comment

Touched up the chipped edges on a NOS front fender I had bought a year or so ago. got to love an ignorant B!*ch who would ship NOS parts in shelf worn packaging. it still ticks me off!!!!
                                http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...t=PICT2591.jpg http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...t=PICT2592.jpg
                                Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

washed up the chain guard and the rear plastic fender for the '78 in preparation for some light body work, followed by paint.
                                Last edited by rustybronco; 08-07-2011, 04:05 PM.
                                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                                X