No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finalised (I think) my fork brace/mudguard mount design tonight, just need to cut it out and bend it up. Will need to round some of the corners off too:

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I worked on my junky Polaris Indy Trail snowmobile. I changed out the tie rod ends, and began replacement of the front suspension bushings. It is suposed to be made so that the tie rods have one right hand and one left hand rod end. That would facilitate adjustment of toe-in. In reality, the right tie-rod has two right hand thread rod ends, and the left tie-rod has two left hand rod ends. That is just stupid. I'm debating removing the motor in order to change out the rod end in the steering undereath it. That means I'll probably do it.

Some of the factory rod ends are not available on line. (The two upper radius arm joints) The two lower radius arm rod ends were $47.00 each, the least expensive I could find. I got better ones with Zerk fittings at a local bearing house for $22.00 each. All were available from McMaster carr for far less.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I put euro bars on my bike today, I like them so far. They sure change the character of the ride!
        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

It been a busy week. I just got in from doing the heater core in the old Red Ford truck, had to put starter brushes in Honda lawn tractor and replaced the UV damage roof vents on the RV. Also the rear electronic module on the Windstar decided it didn't want to blink the right rear signal anymore and after figuring it wasn't a broken wire or a bulb I just wired to front one, that'll work. Oh yeah, I actually worked on the GS too, it needed a rear tire. Changed it and took it to the dealer for a comp[uter balance, he said they could do it right away so hung around for a while and BSed with the staff (I know most of them) and when I asked him how much for balance he said don't worry about it, just enjoy it.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Fitted new speedo cable, new clutch lever (replaced the clutch cable last week) , adjusted clutch, looked for (but didn't find - yet ) the bad connection that turns my lights off, deemed my chain and sprockets ready for replacement (sooner rather than later), managed to ride off without hooking up the gasoline tubes to the petcock, amazed at how far I got on what was sitting in the carbs...

This bike is in a state of putting out fires just to make it run half way decent. I need a winter soon, to take it apart and give it some real quality time.

Oh, forgot. A loose wire drained my battery, so I had to charge it overnight.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2011, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Nearly have the front mudguard mounted, just one mounting hole a little off I need to fix.

Got my Ikons in the mail

And I'm about to reveal plan B for my ignition woes...
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Getting really sick of my front sprocket nut being WELDED onto the shaft. Of course, there's no evidence of a weld, but after at least a dozen cycles of heating, PB Blaster, impact, breaker bar, extra-long "cheater" bar, I'm defeated by a stupid piece of metal. Even donated my left elbow to the cause and got nothing in return.

I would have thought the loc-tite would have burned off by now, I would have thought the rust would have been penetrated right now. I had less difficulty disassembling my truck that has done nearly 5 times the mileage AND been on this earth longer than this damn GS.

I just need to vent... I bought this damn thing nearly two months ago to ride to work and this is the only thing keeping me on the road. I really can't think of anything more than to stay the course with heat, PB, and impact until I break the nut, myself, or the impact/socket. Anyone else have any favorite methods of getting these off?

****!

Comment

Cut the sucker off and order a new one.

Comment

Got the front and rear brakes flushed, cleaned up and compressing and releasing freely. Tonight the calipers, mounts, brackets and master cylinders got painted and are ready to go back on once it all cures.
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2011, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Hit Harbor Freight pretty hard today and scored calipers / impact wrench / torque wrench just for the big stuff / bunch of little $hit.
                      Filed some more cleaning up the clutch basket, while awaiting new FBG fibres. Tightened clutch hub nut. Measured clutch plates at 2.0mm average ... hope that's within spec?? ... measured clutch fibres which were all at 2.2mm only!! DOOOOP
                      Also removed starter clutch nut with impact wrench. Got that biatch!!!!
                      Re-installed grab bar AND chain guard ... (sick of chain wax on fingers when center-standing)
                      Did a bunch of Naval Jellin' including the footpegs on the idle Katana (and rec'd new valve cover gasket for Katana. sooooon it will re-live)
                      c'mon parts! (oh, and a puller from a certain tugger )

Comment

Originally posted by spwalker09 View Post
                        Getting really sick of my front sprocket nut being WELDED onto the shaft. Of course, there's no evidence of a weld, but after at least a dozen cycles of heating, PB Blaster, impact, breaker bar, extra-long "cheater" bar, I'm defeated by a stupid piece of metal. Even donated my left elbow to the cause and got nothing in return.

I would have thought the loc-tite would have burned off by now, I would have thought the rust would have been penetrated right now. I had less difficulty disassembling my truck that has done nearly 5 times the mileage AND been on this earth longer than this damn GS.

I just need to vent... I bought this damn thing nearly two months ago to ride to work and this is the only thing keeping me on the road. I really can't think of anything more than to stay the course with heat, PB, and impact until I break the nut, myself, or the impact/socket. Anyone else have any favorite methods of getting these off?

****!
                        Why on earth would anyone loctite a sprocket nut? I hope you're turning the nut counterclockwise to loosesn.

Earl
                        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

After finding the air box drain hose missing on my '82 GS1100E I decided to check my air box drain hose on my '79 GS1000E to see if it was plugged like I believe it's suppose to be. Sure enough it wasn't, sucking air like crazy, so I plugged that air leak and the engine seemed to idle better,
                          imagine that!
                          sigpic
                          Steve
                          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                            Why on earth would anyone loctite a sprocket nut? I hope you're turning the nut counterclockwise to loosesn.

Earl
                            I'm asking that same question

Yep, lefty loosey. Followed the threads just to be sure. Will be taking a cut off wheel to it tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by spwalker09 View Post
                              Anyone else have any favorite methods of getting these off?
                              3/4" impact gun with an adapter to 1/2" drive and a 32mm (?) six-point socket set on reverse.
                              It WILL come right off.
                              You ARE leaving the bike in first gear, right?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                                After finding the air box drain hose missing on my '82 GS1100E I decided to check my air box drain hose on my '79 GS1000E to see if it was plugged like I believe it's suppose to be. Sure enough it wasn't, sucking air like crazy, so I plugged that air leak and the engine seemed to idle better,
                                imagine that!

SAY WHAT ? ?

NO?

Comment

Working...
                                X