No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spent the weekend replacing the transmission on the GPz. First I found this in the oil pan:

Something seemed amiss, so we dug further and found this:

It did not look all that healthy, so we replaced it with the transmission I had sitting around. Waiting on an oil pan gasket to finish putting it back together.

Comment

You ever see a bike on Craigslist and just KNOW it's too good to be true? Well, this one hit about 3 weeks ago, and I started emailing the guy immediately. I have a stock 90 model in mint condition, but I've also got a friend who has totally customed out an 86 and has been badgering me about "coming to the dark side." So anyhoo, I've basically been negotiating with this guy since he listed it, after going out and looking at it today, I brought it home for a NICE price, I'm not even going to say exactly but it was less than 4K!!! It's a 2000 model with 25K miles, the mods have been done right, still not 100% to my liking, but a good start. I can see right off the bat the stock bars and front blinkers are probably going to go, but the list of mods so far is impressive. Bike runs OK, been sitting for about a year so it's got a little stumble, I'm hoping a can of Seafoam will do wonders. Worse case scenario, the carbs come off for a quick going over, no big deal. Supposedly was jetted for the UFO pipes, it's got a radiator fan switch and V-Boost controller switch. Here's a list of what he told me was done so far. Needless to say, I'm very happy with it. Here are some pic! Enjoy!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Aftermarket Rims made by RC comp
      BRM Race Tail
      Jetted carbs
      UFO exhaust pipes
      Lowered body
      MEK Fork Brace
      Frame Brace
      Engine Guards
      Fat Rear Tire: Michelin Pilot Sport 180/55 ZR 17
      Front Tire: Michelin Pilot Sport 120/70 ZR 17
      Works Performance shocks
      EBC Pro-Lite Brake disks

Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
      87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
      99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
      15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

I pulled the carbs and bench sync them after checking the float levels. Smoothed it out some.

Comment

Originally posted by oldrookie View Post
          I pulled the carbs and bench sync them after checking the float levels. Smoothed it out some.
          Nice work!

I hooked up the HEI setup ready for testing on Saturday... cannot wait to hear that pipe!
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
            Nice work!

I hooked up the HEI setup ready for testing on Saturday... cannot wait to hear that pipe!
            I bet you are! That bike has demonstrated your patience...or maybe tested it...for long time.

Hope you are posting up some good "music" pretty soon.

Comment

"Tested" is the right word! Haha

Watch this space...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                "Tested" is the right word! Haha

Watch this space...
                Bet a lot of GS'ers will be!

Comment

Originally posted by oldrookie View Post
                  Bet a lot of GS'ers will be!
                  No pressure hey? Haha... let's hope she fires up and runs...

sigpic

Comment

I pulled a head apart and discovered some minor scoring on the right side intake bearing race, nothing worth nothing on the cam journal though which I thought was odd. Got all the valve stem seals replaced and when I put the last valve back in the rubber top of the seal tore off. Wouldn't be a problem but nobody in kansas city has any of them so now I have to wait until next thursday for the damned thing.

Comment

Originally posted by cheezeweezle View Post
                      I pulled a head apart and discovered some minor scoring on the right side intake bearing race, nothing worth nothing on the cam journal though which I thought was odd. Got all the valve stem seals replaced and when I put the last valve back in the rubber top of the seal tore off. Wouldn't be a problem but nobody in kansas city has any of them so now I have to wait until next thursday for the damned thing.
                      Man I hate that! Had the same thing on my 450, but fortunately the dealer had plenty in stock on that occassion...

sigpic

Comment

I spent the morning first raising the carb needles one clip to try to cure the high-rev dogginess. I can't test it out yet, still waiting for a handle switch from Chef (Canadian Postal system pergatory).

Then I replaced the Athena valve cover gasket with my new Realgaskets one, cleaning up the misting oil stains from the engine while access was easy. I'm gradually replacing all the Athena gaskets I used when I did the engine top end....I should have known better...at least I used Suzuki head and base gaskets.

Lunch time.....

Comment

Had the day off...finally got around to the valve check/adjust. Turned out to be only check....all valves within spec after over 10,000 miles! Cams still look pristine & everything clean as a whistle....gotta love Suzuki quality. Found the source of an annoying rattle (coil mount loose), so it was worth it. Disappointed a bit, that I didn't get a chance to use my new Suzuki tool to adjust the valves though....no more wood screws/dowel here.
                          '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                          Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

I should say so! nice list of items there Grand Rouge!

Comment

Tank Time

Swapped the tanks on my 650g's, the new (to me) 82's tank needs a derusting (Thanks for that great tutorial, Cliff!!), also got fully acquainted with one of the differences between the 2 years, 82's got the fuel level sender, so the petcock is further forward on the 82, meant the valve on the 81 tank needed a longer vacuum line, fuel line was already long enough. 81's a rolling chassis only, so-. Going to score a couple of expansion plugs tomorrow.
                              sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                              '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                              '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                              '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                              '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                              '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                              '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                              '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                              '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                              '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Not a dam& thing !

Comment

Working...
                                X