No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was in the garage for the whole afternoon working out the problem with a 250 Honda Rebel. It was a hard start when cold from the time the lady bought it. If she pumped the throttle several times, the accelerator pump would richen it up enough to start but it required several restarts before she could keep it going. After it was warmed up, all was well.

If she used the choke, the engine would not start when cold, even after it had been running for a time. Using the choke when warmed up it would sometimes start.

After a lot of cleaning passages and inserting wires and carb. cleaner in order to identify passages, it seemed obvious that the 1/8" hole into the side of the enrichener jet passage was the problem. That hole was large enough that I could not see how there would be sufficient low pressure created above that point to lift fuel, emulsify and deliver out the enrichener discharge port.

I made a screw to fit the hole, inserted, reinstalled the carb. (), miserable job, and it starts on a touch of the button.

They ordered an aftermarket H4 headlight assembly with bucket to replace the original unit having a 35 Watt Stanley bulb inside a "sealed beam". The light was poorer than my AA battery LED pocket flashlight but with a 35 Watt (60 Watt H4 QI bulb equivalent) HID the light is fantastic. She may not like it though as it lacks that orange, sitting by 13th Century monk's candle charm.

The bike will now start when cold, lights up the road, so now to add some additional LED lights to improve visibility and she can take it home. As long as it doesn't snow as it has been threatening to do again.

The main reason for the HID is power consumption as the HID uses 35 Watts as did the original headlight. I didn't want to push the little charging system enough to try to run a 55/60 Watt H4 bulb as was hoping to have enough capacity left to run some additional LED lights so the bike can be seen at night.

Also made an addional breather for the MG's rocker cover as they suffer from having only a 3/8" breather hose.

Next resealing the MG's differential carrier and then making up a suction pump to connect to the crankcase of my ST1100. I'm interested in trying low crankcase pressure to see if it has a noticeable benefit. This is common practice on race cars and old English twins so being retired.....

Comment

Depending on the condition of the crankshaft, you may be able to salvage it by building up with hard chrome. I bought a year old 550 Yamaha Vision some years ago which had been run out of oil because the low IQ who owned it didn't fix a leaky drain plug gasket or check oil.

It destroyed the big end of one connecting rod, hammered the throw (common throw on the V twin) and spun the bearing in the other rod. I had the salvageable rod resized, ground the crank undersize to clean up the throw (no U.S. bearings available). A local hydraulic cylinder shop build the throw up with hard chrome and then ground the throw to standard.

All the "experts" told me it would not work and I guess they're right but it was still going 10 years later when I lost track of it.

No idea why people who should know that they don't know, don't know that they don't know and so won't say that they don't know. Do you know?

Good luck with that project. It looks like it will be interesting. Please keep us updated!

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
      Picket up a 78 750 supersport for a couple hundred bucks. Came with 2 engines. One with a spun rod bearing and the other with seized pistons.

Opening up the one with the seized pistons. Had a puddle of water in #4.

Ditching the points and getting a dyna S. Thinking about an 836 overbore kit if both cylinders can't be honed out. Top ends just need to be cleaned up...valves lapped and new stem seals.

Nic

Comment

Originally posted by Normk View Post
        The main reason for the HID is power consumption as the HID uses 35 Watts as did the original headlight. I didn't want to push the little charging system enough to try to run a 55/60 Watt H4 bulb as was hoping to have enough capacity left to run some additional LED lights so the bike can be seen at night.
        Good work on the HID, just make sure it has steady power once fired up. HIDs don't like to be started, then shut down during starting, the firing right back up once the bike is running.

Not that it would help your situation any, but just something to stick in the trivia bank: Honda has a 45/45 watt H4-style bulb that is used in many of their bikes, including the GoldWing. The locator tabs are just a bit different, so they don't drop right in to a standard housing, but if you are looking for slightly less draw than a 55 watt bulb, it might be an option.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yup, saw that too. Contacted the seller and unfortunately they do not offer a kit for the 77-78 super sport. Haven't talked with Ken yet.

Waiting on the arrival of my new 64mm flex hone to see if I can clean up one of the two pair of jugs I have.

Pick of the #4 cylinder with the water:

Picture looks worse than it actually is, but is still not smooth by any stretch of the imagination. The other jugs look good, with some vertical scoring, no rust, or excessive wear. Just hoping I can be within clearance tolerance after a good hone.

Pistons have just a light surface rust that mostly washed off with some PB blaster:

Head bare, with valves pulled. Shot of #4 chamber:

Really not all that bad. Once I get it into my aluminum hot dip tank, it should clean up well. Guides look smooth inside. Seats may need to be recut, but will see if after cleaning whether or not the valves will lap in.

Crank moves nice and smooth. No evidence of water in the bottom end when I drained the residual oil. Made sure to suck out all the old gunk with my wet/dry vac before I removed the head and the cylinders:

Standard bore Ring set on ebay for about $80 shipped (hopefully no one bids on them )

I helped get a 74 750K going for a friend, and he has donated his gasket set for my project so I saved a good chunk of change there.

And the rest of the bike. All the side covers, pipe, seat etc are off the bike. Paint is ruff, but has all the emblems intact:

Nic
          83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

The 45/45 with leg spacing slightly wider on the lower legs is stock for ST1100 in Canada & USA, I have several in my parts boxes (ST uses two bulbs). The CBR400 has two bulbs of the same configuration but 60 or 65 Watt high and 45 Watt low. I have converted several ST1100's and some other bikes from Honda bulbs to H4 for higher output and easier availability.

Thanks for the info. because it would have been good to know if I wasn't already aware. It may benefit someone's project.

I'm of the same view regarding starting/restarting HID but I see them frequently operated without any precautions. Perhaps someone can offer some hard information as to what are the effects or whether this is simply a myth?

It's difficult to imagine that the bulb would be affected but worry about the "ballast & transformer" units. Hoping no one takes my view as to the bulb's risk as having any basis.....just a guess going by zenon flash tubes and such which likely has nothing to do with HID.

Guess it's time to drop in to talk with a friend who knows the commercial lighting side of this subject to see what he says. If I learn anything substantive I will report back.

In the mean time, I'm sharing Steve's views.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Good work on the HID, just make sure it has steady power once fired up. HIDs don't like to be started, then shut down during starting, the firing right back up once the bike is running.

Not that it would help your situation any, but just something to stick in the trivia bank: Honda has a 45/45 watt H4-style bulb that is used in many of their bikes, including the GoldWing. The locator tabs are just a bit different, so they don't drop right in to a standard housing, but if you are looking for slightly less draw than a 55 watt bulb, it might be an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Normk View Post
              No idea why people who should know that they don't know, don't know that they don't know and so won't say that they don't know. Do you know?
              Pure gold right there folks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                Naaaa... just went out into the field and picked one out...

We have sheep's here also...

Pete, not a great deal, just an okay kind of deal. it was $185 shipped.

worse comes to worse, I can use it on the Skunk then shoot the 300M in the spring and re-sell it when I'm done. but, I really doubt I'll want to sell it
                Aaaah the old caveman grab by the hair and you'll do trick hey? Hahaha

Sounds like a reasonably good deal given the prices I saw during my quick Google this morning :O

With a quality gun like that I'm guess a good clean and lube will have it back to almost new condition in no time...
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Seat at the upholsterer, and got the wheels off ready to take to get new tyres on Saturday. Started trying to get the wheel bearings off, that's gonna be fun... and bought some oil, chain lube, and brake fluid.

sigpic

Comment

I can't wait to see the finished product. (Same as yourself no doubt.)

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                      I can't wait to see the finished product. (Same as yourself no doubt.)

Daniel
                      Oh indeed, it's been torture already and it won't be done 'til early next week...

sigpic

Comment

Got the new wheel bearings in and wheels back on with the new rubber. Got the chain on and torqued up the countershaft sprocket nut. Got the gear change lever on and filled her with oil. Got the new brake pads in and torqued up the caliper axle bolts.

I still have yet to put the chain link on properly as I didn't realise I needed a special tool... will get one this week to finish that off.

sigpic

Comment

Mr. Hahn showed up today with sync gauges today and got carbs dialed in. Running real nice, and with a bit of rejetting and a date with the dyno...

'80 GS1000ST
                          '92 ZX-11
                          Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Eagerly awaiting seeing the dyno sheets.

Daniel

Comment

Franks bike is running just a bit lean. There are 127.5 mains in the carbs right now. Were gonna have to bump up the mains a notch i think. Then when we can get the Dyno free some afternoon we are gonna run her and see what the best mix is and get her super dialed in. I got good connections with Randy ( the guy that builds the harvest classic bike each year ) and Lance, so shes got some very capable hands to care for her.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Neglected to update in here for a while... got my hand grips on tonight and put the hand guards on properly as well.

Found a location to put the pigtail for the trickle charger so I don't have to go fiddling with the battery terminals.

Started putting the new fuel and vacuum hoses on but got fed up real quick with that while sweating like a pig, so will tackle those another night.

Aiming for a run this Sunday with maybe even a shake down run around the block if I can change gears and if the clutch works...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X