Clear All

Here's a great starter bike:

"Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
      Um.... besides being heavy as hell, high powered, and full faired... yeah.

Still, if you could talk him down to $500 and it looks anything like it does in the pics, might be a diamond in the rough. Those FZRs were nice bikes.

Comment

Heavy as hell? Less than 500 pounds fully fueled for an 80's open class supersport? Interesting, but I think several people here are missing the point of this thread.
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Or you are considering the CL poster recommended it as a "starter bike". The "point" of this thread is making fun of absurd CL bike ads.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2016, 12:26 AM.

Comment

That is indeed the point, and that was what made it funny. Explaining it lets the humor escape. Instead, further the joke.
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Okay. I will attempt to obfuscate more...

Comment

I don't know if anyone has done this, but I put together a top 10 list of the verbiage I see on CL when reading m/c ads. Thought I would post it and see if you agree, disagree or want to expand it.

These are the things in a CL post that make me either laugh or groan.

Top 10 Craigslist Motorcycle Ad Posts
                10. "Just needs minor electrical work/finish hooking up wiring harness to get running"
                9. "Needs battery and gas to make run"
                8. "In storage since the Clinton Administration"
                7. "Just had carbs professionally rebuilt at (local shop name,) needs battery and tires to ride"
                6. "Great bobber/cafe project"
                5. Any post that uses the term "old skool"
                4. "All original, excellent condition, new 4 into 1"
                3. "Draws crowds wherever it goes"
                2. "Rode it last summer, now carb(s) leak, needs adjustment"
                And the number one Craigslist ad post is...
                "It ran fine when I parked it"

1984 GS1150ES (finally arrived, more to come...)
                1989 Dodge Dakota (the perfect Oregon work truck)
                1980 Sears "Free Spirit" bicycle (original patina and everything!)
                1978 "The Executive" RV (vintage like its owner)

How can I be in two places at once when i'm not anywhere at all?

Can I double park in a parallel universe?

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post

The best line of the whole ad - "and no major problems except for minors here and there."
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

That is a KILLER deal, even with work needed!!!

88 yamaha fzr1000 - $900 (LAS VEGAS)

Upgrading to a newer cruiser so selling my learning bike..great to learner bike because its fast and you don't have to worry about dropping it since its had its days..I've used it for work for almost 4 months and no major problems except for minors here and there..$900 obo.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

So he rode this little "starter bike" until he developed the skills required to handle a newer cruiser....... OK.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        So he rode this little "starter bike" until he developed the skills required to handle a newer cruiser....... OK.
                        Exactly. His "learning bike" taught him to want a cruiser? Fire that teacher!
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

" Upgrading to newer cruiser................and you...............have to worry............since it's had it..........."

The lost art of reading between the lines.
                          97 R1100R
                          Previous
                          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

This guy seriously seriously replaced the frame rails with chain. Curved at that. There is zero structural rigidity there. I can't fathom how someone would have thought this was a good idea. Im shocked its not folded in half.

82 honda nighthawk cb 750 bobber - $2200 (Hanover)

1982 Honda cb750 nighthawk
                            fuel: gas
                            paint color: green
                            title status: clean
                            transmission: manual

Hello, I have an 82 honda nighthawk cb750 that's been turned into a bobber. As far as bobbers go I tried to make look as nice and clean as I could and not bob it out real ratty. I put a lot of time and effort into this bike. There are tons of new parts here's a run down.
                            New paint job. Cut down down the frame and welded chain link to make new frame.
                            Hand made the solo seat. New signals with smoke lenses. New mini tachometer and mini speedometer. New exhaust wrap.
                            New license plate holder hand made. New headlights. Replaced the handle bars. New Maltese cross mirrors. Mounted an ammo box on the side for looks as well as that's where the battery and registration and insurance papers go. Removed the ignition switch and installed toggle under seat. For those of you thinking that makes the bike easy for theft it has a grenade shaped rotor lock that stores under the seat just don't forget it's on the rotor before you drive off! Carb was cleaned and new jet o rings installed starts up good. Fork seals replaced. New battery.
                            Not currently inspected but should pass. I'm asking 2200 obo Call or text no email plz 717 five two one 6598
                            Thanks for looking

Comment

Ok “Not currently inspected but should pass.”
                              Wanna place a bet on that?
                              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

But he did the welding himself!
                                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                                X