No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I saw them, the lower ISO w/ the tripod/longer exposure times is a great improvement grain (noise) wise. Just giving you a hard time. Glad to see the thumb surgery hasn't kept you off the bike for long. Here I am commenting about the pics you didn't take, when I didn't even get out on the bike. Waiting on new sprockets.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

... and last night. I headed out with a similar mindset, but without a destination. I headed West toward the Deleware River and Trenton on I 195. Somewhere along the ride I decided to head to at least Lambertville, a pretty old town that sprung up when the D&R Canal was a major enterprise last century. Like Sunday, the highway was very lightly travelled. Once past Trenton, Rt 29 N shrinks down and travels follows along the canal and river on the left and sometimes rocky hills on the right. Old houses dot the road, sometimes with front doors just feet from the road. Houses built in another era when things went slowly, and placed wherever they would fit between the road and rising hills behind them. One past Stockton the road opens up to a nice smooth state road. The scenery to left opened up and the moon revealed fields with low fog, clear starry skies, and rising hills in the distance. I got to Lambertville and was having such a nice ride that I cose to go to Frenchtown, another beatuiful town 18 miles north. I literally saw one car on the road. This was good, allowing me to ride just off center of the road to, in theory, give a bit of space for the ever present deer, which I saw a lot of.
      At this point the hills to the left rose up from the shoulder of the road, giving the tunnel of trees effect. Once in Frenchtown, I crossed the steel bridge over the Deleware and headed back South on Pa Rt 32. Although I literally just left NJ, I felt like I had ridden to a faraway land. 32 is a small two laner with lots of curves, rises, falls, some lumpy areas, occasional three way stops in tiny towns along the river, and beatuiful. The nature of the road caused me to ride mostly in third of fourth gear and enjoy the beauty of the night. Under the spell of the moon and the stars, I rode and enjoyed. I hadn't been down this route in nearly 20 years. Some flashes of familiarity of the area, and flashes of memories connected with them came and went with the miles ridden. Too soon the trip down memory ended, and I was back in Trenton filling up with gas. I certainly hadn't intended to ride 130 miles or stay out until 1:30 am, but it worth every minute. It was my best ride this year.

One lone pic on the Frenchtown bridge.
      http://Frenchtown bridge. by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
      Last edited by dorkburger; 09-29-2020, 12:42 PM.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
        Yeah, I saw them, the lower ISO w/ the tripod/longer exposure times is a great improvement grain (noise) wise. Just giving you a hard time. Glad to see the thumb surgery hasn't kept you off the bike for long. Here I am commenting about the pics you didn't take, when I didn't even get out on the bike. Waiting on new sprockets.
        All in good fun. My old chain literally chucked out tens upon tens of O rings. Its on the winter list. It was a make do short term solution last year.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Very cool Glen. Somthing about riding in the moonlight makes time stand still. Maybe it's just riding that does that, but moonlight is way cool to ride under.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

What a way to end the season

After spending this year working on Charmayne's bike and using parts from mine to help in troubleshooting, I finally had a chance to get my GS550T back out on the road this week. I had to first order a new battery from Motobatt Sunday night and though they said I would get it by Friday it actually came in last night. So, after installation, some cleanup, and airing up the tires, I rode the bike home from the garage. On the way, I had a suspicion my main brake light wasn't working well (I also have a brake light on my license plate that was operational) and confirmed it later in the evening. As I wanted some company while I was troubleshooting it, I rode over to Steve's place to work on it. I discovered the white brake light wire separated from its terminal and crimped a new one on plus re-terminated the ground cable that came out of its terminal while getting to that connector.

A test showed my brake light still wasn't coming on so a-searching we went and found the wiring under the wheel had come out from under their clamps so that the white wire broke there as well:

Broken brake light wire by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Steve and I spliced in a new wire, talked for a little bit longer and then I headed home. The stop light at the corner of the road just up to his place was green for me so I downshifted to second gear and leaned into the turn when suddenly the bike slid out from underneath me and I hit the ground on the right side. It slid down the road for about 10 feet dragging me with it. Once I could get up, a person on the corner helped me right the bike and I sat back on to push it into the gas station parking lot there since I couldn't start it (probably flooded the carbs) and the front brakes felt mushy. A quick look at it last night showed no major damage except some scratches to the right rear muffler and my crash bar though I did have to pull the left handle switch assembly back up. A cop must have been right there at the corner as he pulled into the parking lot as soon as I put the side stand down and checked on me. I agreed for him to call the medics as my left hand hurt and I had some road rash on my right forearm near the elbow that I somehow got despite wearing all of my gear.

After calling Steve and taking the bike back to my garage, I spent a few hours in the ER to confirm I only have a bruised left thumb and a sore right shoulder which is making this fun to type this morning, even with my touch typing skills. Doctor said I'll be sore for about a week or so. I'll head over to the garage tonight and inspect the bike more closely but I'm really hoping the forks aren't bent and that I only have to replace a brake line that might have ripped open (stainless steel lines) at the banjo.

As I need to get tires for the Bandit still, it seems my year is done for now. This sucks but at least no major injuries.
            Last edited by cowboyup3371; 10-01-2020, 08:02 AM.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Jeezum Scott, glad you're OK, if a bit sore. Do you know what the cause was? Gravel? oil on the road? What caused the rear to lose traction?
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Sorry to hear Scott. I hope your feeling better soon.
                Current Bikes:
                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Scott, buddy....the crash was your lead story....put it up front....LOL...

I saw your issue, saw you went to Steve's place, and saw the bad wire....thought you were covered....stopped reading...

And yet...Oh, by the way, I happened to have crashed on my way home, talk later.....

If Rich hadn't posted, I wouldn't know.....

Glad your OK....
                  Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Scott, glad you're ok. Hope the bike damage is minimal.
                    sigpic

Glen
                    -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Diesel? Glad you're ok, if feeling it a bit.
                      I get very twitchy around some certain places where tractors and trucks pull out after re-fuelling and sometimes over-fill their tanks or plain forget to tighten the tank caps.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks all. I'm really not sure what caused it though after playing the events through my head I'm wondering. The road was clear and didn't look wet at all. I had just downshifted to 2nd which put me about 25-30 and slowing when I started my lean. I know I adjusted my position on the seat to the inside and possibly may have done so later than I should have but I'm not sure. Although Steve sent me some pictures of the street, I think there's still part of the corner that he didn't get which could have contributed to it. Unfortunately, I ran out of time today to go back and look for myself.

I managed to stop by the garage for a few minutes this evening for another matter and looked over the bike for a few minutes. Although I didn't get into a meticulous inspection nothing is broke while the tachometer rear cover has a small dent and there are scratches on the edge of the headlight out of the light area. I'll have to remove the forks and measure them but just looking at them makes me think they aren't bent. I'll also replace one brake line just because plus my helmet and boots (right boot has a small hole in the toe area) will need replacement after doing their jobs.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Tough way for the riding season to end.
                          Scott, glad to hear just some minor rash on you and the bike.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Nearly taken out.....

I was returning home last night around midnight from my moto / photo outing and nearly got taken down by a Dodge Durango. Its thankfully been about 10 plus years since I've been that close to moto doom (left turner then). I was happily riding home with a camera full of goodness and feeling good in general. I was on a two lane county road that opens up to 4 undivided lanes at a divided highway interchange. One offramp from the highway ends at a stop sign and enters the county road in the direction I was travelling. I was in the left lane of the county road approaching the offramp. Two spaced apart cars came down the ramp. The first stopped at the end, then whipped a very illegal U turn across 4 lanes. I had plenty of room to avoid idiot #1. Apparently idiot 1 and 2 were following each other. While my focus was on idiot #1, I didnt see idiot #2 come quicky up on my right and attempt pull the same U turn nearly right into me. It happened so damn fast. His front end came into view, I braked and swerved, and thankfully they braked. If neither of these happened our front wheels would have collided. His wheel which was close enought to see the raised white letter sidewall, was still cut, and had we hit each other, I think my front wheel would have almost squarely hit his with no chance of a glancing blow. In my estimation I would gone down immediately and violently. Once clear I stopped in disbelief and looked back. The Dodge was stopped. In a very uncharacteristic of me move, I turned around around intending to approach the car. He completed his U turn and both cars quickly got back ont the highway they nearly killed me getting off of. I followed. Not intending to stop them, or even get close enough for him to use his car as a weapon-again- , but to let him know i was PIZZED. They both took off at a very high rate of speed and I took the time to gather my with and cool off.

Now in in analyze / criticize mode..... I don't think I should have braked but it was instinct, I suppose. When I braked and swerved left at the same time, the braking force prevented the bike from easily swerving and buying me precious space. I'd guess we were within 2, maybe 3 feet at the most and he was angling toward me. I also definitely tensed up and that also likely made swerving more diffult.

In the end I was way more lucky then skilled and I am thankful it didn't end badly..... but at least I did't "have to lay it down".
                            sigpic

Glen
                            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Scott -
                              You worry me -
                              How many times has that bike been down ?
                              2 that I know of for certain --
                              Maybe something is wrong with the bike's geometry ?
                              Is it bent from a previous slide ?

If it's not the bike then ---Perhaps --?
                              Something is going on - you should self critique and evaluate your habits very carefully
                              If there is more you should know ; or a habit to change - PLEASE do it
                              Before we are reading something much more tragic about you -

Posted because I care about your safety and well being

I have been down once on one of my Goldwings (1985 GL1200 A) -
                              After recollection of the happenings I realized I came into the corner WAY TOO HOT and missed the turn -
                              It hurt - nothing serious thankfully - but there was some damage and it cost me some money and pride.
                              After thinking it through I decided to slow down - especially in the corners; where I over-rode my ability -
                              Been fairly comfortable ever since ( 10 years ago or more )

be well
                              Currently in the Stable :
                              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Scott,
                                man, good you are okay.
                                hole worn in your boot, sounds like you did do some sliding down the road.

yah, do ponder what all factors lead to that, it don’t need to feel bad about it.
                                i suppose one thing to ponder is if it was the front or the rear that slid out.

also good that the cop didn’t confided it “too fast for conditions” or “careless driving” or something.
                                Last edited by Redman; 10-02-2020, 03:18 PM. Reason: Also..

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                                X