Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris in TN
    replied
    Mark Harrop gone? Sad news. As a long time (but intermittent) forum member I can remember how Harrop's forum focus gradually shifted from the bikes to social/political/scatalogical colour commentary on life in general, both his and his fellow forum member's. He was a pretty polarizing person of note here.

But, like him or not, he served his country a long time and went on to some interesting post military occupations. He paid his dues, and earned his right to pretty much say whatever he felt he needed to say. Didn't like what he said? Walk away then. I did, often enough. But I also stayed often enough to give him a fair hearing, he deserved that.

I suspect that Mark would have been alternately amused and enraged by many of the comments here. Maybe both at once, depending on the source.

So here's a final 'Well Done' Mark. In a world of colourless drones you were a memorable exception. As one old GI to another, I hope you've found your Valhalla Sergeant.​

Leave a comment:

• Steveb64
    replied
    I was gutted when I heard about Marks passing. One of the few truly interesting people on this site, and worth paying some attention to - which was why I stopped posting here after he (and a couple of others) were kicked off (imo - given they hadn't said anything that hadn't been said by others without censure). And have no interest in posting again given the same sad old trolls still live here.

Anyway - I think this video pretty much sums Mark up...

Leave a comment:

• GSXR7ED
    replied
    Sad to hear this...even though it's been since 2022.

I vaguely remember Mark's activities on here...just that there was lots of conflict with others.

RIP Mark and thank you for your service.

Leave a comment:

• Bert Patterson
    replied
    Mark certainly said some things he shouldn't have said. I've never done anything like that here, unless you could threatening a couple people's lives. At heart, he was a good guy, interesting, funny, bizarre mini-bike fan. I helped him with a couple projects. I sent him a book he was interested in and he sent me a masood hat. It was too small for my big head, but my bald cousin still wears it. RIP, Sgt. Harrop.

Leave a comment:

• Rob S.
    replied
    Originally posted by trevor View Post

Lol................always good to get a Stripes quote in!
    Good catch!

Leave a comment:

• ptegsotic
    replied
    someone referred to a photo as he looking 'frail'
    I didn't think he looked frail at all (folks are just so used to seeing obesity everywhere ... including in the mirror! )

I presumed some terminal disease (unless i missed something)
    Really enjoyed his postings. cheers Mark

Leave a comment:

• Suzukian
    replied
    56 years old is way to young to die at. You haven't even hit the prime of you life. I didn't know him but may he and his family have peace.

Leave a comment:

• trevor
    replied
    Originally posted by Eli69
    Lighten up Francis
    Lol................always good to get a Stripes quote in!

Leave a comment:

• Nessism
    replied
    Originally posted by earlfor
    Well Mark, 06/06/1966-2022, aged 56. Remember the times I said one of these days you need to learn how to twist the throttle down. I knew you never believed they worked in either direction and more power into the curve was always your style. That can be a good thing or a bad thing. My thought to that is the fastest man alive is! Whatever you were doing this time, a rain check probably would have been a better idea.
    WTF are you talking about earl? Do you know something we don't? This post suggests that Mark did something stupid that wound up killing him. Unless you have specific knowledge, it would be best if you STFU.

Leave a comment:

• argonsagas
    replied
    Originally posted by bccap View Post
    The memorial service .......
    Thank you for sharing that, Garth.

Over the years Mark shared some...unusual...things with me.
    I am one who believes respect must be earned, not given automatically..
    Mark fully earned my respect and that is one of the highest compliments I have to offer anyone.

RIP

Leave a comment:

• GS1150Pilot
    replied
    Originally posted by bccap View Post
    The memorial service .......

That was beautiful, Garth. Truly wonderful. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• bccap
    replied
    Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
    That is a lot of medals! I guess the dates in the end of that video should be earlier than 1996-2022 - anyone know how old he was? My guess is it should have been 56?
    Mark posted a lot of pictures on his Facebook page ....... I'm not all that great with ages but if I had to guess he would've be in his mid fifties to early sixties ......If the 1996 should have been 1966 that would have made him 56 .......

Leave a comment:

• dorkburger
    replied
    I was wondering about the dates also and wondered if it was a goof, or related to time served in the military.

Leave a comment:

• salty_monk
    replied
    That is a lot of medals! I guess the dates in the end of that video should be earlier than 1996-2022 - anyone know how old he was? My guess is it should have been 56?

Leave a comment:

• argonsagas
    replied
    Originally posted by Cipher View Post

Its the mean spirited nature of abusing the dead that's a problem. The OP tried to pay respect only to have a thread used as a urinal by trolling losers
    do that at a funeral service or a gathering of friends you'd be quickly and rightly handed your ass.
    Having not checked in on the forum for much of the summer, I missed this thread until now.
    Sparred with him for years both on and off the GSR screen.. A man with solid values. I am very sorry to hear of Mark leaving us.

Your post is pointed and the point is both clear and accurate.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X