No announcement yet.

Dave Davis memorial rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made it home around 6:45 this evening. A really long day in the saddle, but the trip was a blast!

Totaled 1645 miles in 5 days. More than half of the total was riding on those fantastic Missouri sweepers. Countless outstanding BBQ meals were an added bonus! It was great seeing everyone.

Can't wait until next year!
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Sounds like an outstanding time, as always. Wish I was there.

Originally posted by gbw View Post
      And finally, thanks to Nardy, Baatfam, JonR, Wazz, and everyone else connected with scouting these amazing routes. There just aren't enough days to do them all. We'll need to extend this to a 3 day rally.
      Ha! All I did was ride along with Joe and Jon....Good times, though...
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

[QUOTE=gbw;n1704280) We'll need to extend this to a 3 day rally.[/QUOTE]

It already is a three day rally. Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Y'all just need to show up late afternoon on Wednesday
        edit:. Life is short, extend those days off occasionally.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I expected these tires to last at least another 2k miles when I left for Farmington. They had about 2400 miles on them before I left, and I don't think it's unreasonable to think a set of "sport touring" tires that cost $426 to last at least 5k miles.

After riding to the rally (~300 miles) and 2 days of fun twisties (probably approaching 300 miles each day) I was less than 900 miles in and my rear tire looked like this.

Obviously plenty of tire to make the 300 mile ride home.

Here's what the rear looked like last night in my garage with less than 1200 miles since leaving home.

For what these Road 5s cost I expect them to last much longer. I'll be trying out the Dunlop Roadsmart 4 next. Then maybe the Avon on bwringer's recommendation. Then maybe the Shinko based on Larry and Ron's experiences. This is my 3rd set of tires this year. It's getting expensive!
          Last edited by gbw; 09-19-2022, 09:20 AM.
          Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
          Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

I'll post a before/after picture of my rear tire later. Needless to say, I was right. That thing had plenty of tread for the ride home. I'll probably take a couple more good local rides on it before I'm forced to replace it. All the skeptics that said I'd never make it are a bunch of worry warts.

That tire might last another 1000 miles Greg!

Who says it actually needs to have tread on it? As long as it's holding some air, you're good to go! Let's see some cordage!

Ron
            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
            1982 GS1100E
            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

That tyre looks a lot more sport than touring now...

Looks like fun as usual! I hope I can make this one before too long!
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I like this trend of tire photos... we always seem to get a bunch of shots hanging around gas stations, which are pretty much the same everywhere:

My FJ-09's rear tire this morning outside my office Crispy, very crispy. This was pretty much brand-new a few days before trailering to MO.

I'm quite happy with it so far, but I'm less happy that the front was defective and I can't seem to get anyone's attention over at American Moto Tire... but that's a whole 'nuther topic. I re-installed the front Dunlop Roadsmart III and it all worked fine.

Last edited by bwringer; 09-19-2022, 07:03 PM.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                  I expected these tires to last at least another 2k miles when I left for Farmington. They had about 2400 miles on them before I left, and I don't think it's unreasonable to think a set of "sport touring" tires that cost $426 to last at least 5k miles.

After riding to the rally (~300 miles) and 2 days of fun twisties (probably approaching 300 miles each day) I was less than 900 miles in and my rear tire looked like this.

Obviously plenty of tire to make the 300 mile ride home.

Here's what the rear looked like last night in my garage with less than 1200 miles since leaving home.

​​​​​…
                  !
                  thanks Greg.
                  difference between first pic and second pic is 300 miles ! ? !

(first pic is what my RT tire presently looks like…)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

And finally,

Glad to see you all checked in about making it home safely. So now it's my turn to check in.
                    After 3 nights and some good riding in the Arkansas Ozarks I hereby declare that I am the last attendee to check in.

I was checking out out early on Wednesday morning and decided one more ride should work. So after getting permission to leave my truck and trailer in the hotel parking lot until noonish, I set out for more.

There's just too much good riding in Arkansas to not take one last ride.

Got home at 9:30 p.m. and should be tired but after 1.5 hours of laying in bed and not being able to fall asleep, here I am.

Sorry for being so long winded.
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Seeing Greg's post about tire wear. One of the reasons I took the Suzuki on this trip was to try to wear out my front tire.

It's a Shinko 230 with just over 8,000 miles on it and there looks to be <1000 miles left.

Why is it when you want a tire to wear out, they just keep on keeping on?
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Hey guys, it's that time of year again for picking dates and determining who can make it this year.

Anytime after Labor day works for me.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

The Sept. 7th-10th dates work for me. Well........actually anytime works for me!

I'm planning on arriving on Wednesday afternoon. Can't get enough of those fantastic Missouri sweepers!
                          Ron
                          1982 GS1100E
                          1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Working...
                          X