Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 Brown County Indiana GS Thang, 6/9-6/12, 2022 - SAVE THE DATE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the pics Dave. Almost as if I were there. Not really.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Awesome riding, BBQ, parking lot wrenching.... boy am I sad I missed out. I'm going to try to convince my brother to drive out from PA for next year so we can ride two of my GSes down.
      Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
      Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Comment

Kinda took the long way to show up at the rally,but 11,249 miles later I am home. Only hit light rain a couple of times so I went straight from Bedford to Pittsburgh in one shot. It was really great meeting you all,and was one of the highlights of my trip.Could not have been a nicer group of guys, and Mrs. Steve and Jay and family were amazing. Currently heading to post office to mail back my souvenir room key that I accidentally 'borrowed'. Whoops ,sorry Jay! Hoping to see you all next year!!!
        83 gs850
        07 vtx1300c

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          Earlier in morning
          (afore the other adventure began)

cowboy Scott bandit
          redman gk
          redmanSIL fjr
          redmanson tiger1050

BDE96181-DEC7-497B-8994-7B02956D99E8.jpg
          Good to see all the old familiar places!
          Current:
          2008 BMW R1200RT
          Past History:1971 Honda CB350; 1972 Bonneville
          1979 Suzuki GS550E
          1979 Suzuki GS850G
          1980 Suzuki GS850G
          1983 Suzuki GS1100E
          2006 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
          2004 BMW R1150 RT
          2009 Triumph Bonneville SE

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            Will tell about it later….. but your guess would be correct.
            Was this pic from this year? If so it looks like nobody has moved since I last came!!

Glad you all had fun.. looked at least up to the usual standard! No Nardy in sight without me to ride his spare bike for him it seems...
            Last edited by salty_monk; 06-14-2022, 02:22 PM.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Saturday Ride Pics.
              I got no pics of my ride.
              didn’t get much of a ride.

Rode out for breakfast. Little restaurant on north side of town, was crowded, the three of us sat at a little table for two with me actaully sitting on bench for adjacent table.

After breakfast, was gonna head out to Tunnelton, Ft Ritner, Medora, Becks Mill, Fredericksburg, Croyden, maybe Muckport, but definatly Leavenworth, then asses situation from there, weither 62 further south, or head to Paoli, Birdseye or what ever.

Started bike and had some ticking-clatter that sounded to me like cam related, and getting worse quickley.
              I told them to proceed (Justin had route track in GPS and had rode most of it before), and I was going back to motel to assess and ponder and decide what to do.
              By thetime I got back to motel, it was a terrible clacking-knocking almost a rattle with some scraping sound. I thought for sure was cam cap coming loose, and something about to bust through the cover or something.
              More of that story here (I shall not repeat it here):
              https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...or#post1697119

During the day Justin or Jay send me pics

This selfie pic from Jay includes Justin taking selfie pic.
              Also got the selfie pic from Justin that includes Jay taking his selfie that includes Justin.
              I enjoyed both cuz shows them and the bikes and the road in both directions and the scenery. And is kinda like picture I might take.
              Took me a while to realize they were probably mocking me, but that made it more fun.... sorta.

This is at the Old Brick Kilns along Ft Ritner (Sparksville?) Road.
              Justin and his wife and I went there in 2013 (Indy Moto GP trip) when it was all overgrown with trees and posion ivy. Was even tree growing on top of many of the kilns. Could barley see just a couple of them from the road. I had wondered what they were in previous years riding with a group.
              Now last few years the area is being cleared, and I have seen some effort to get it be a historic location or park or something.

Crossing over Ohio River on 135 to KY.

Later they reported that parking area at Overlook at Leavenworth was so full that could not find any parking spot, (or maybe at least not a parking spot with overlook for photo), and they went to the general store in Upper Leavenworth.
              Note to self: maybe better to go to Leavenworth on Friday than Saturday.

After got GK back together (that story does have a happy ending), I did go for a little ride, just west out 50 for several miles, and back, just for a test ride.

They got back about 630.
              Jay RedmanSIL exclaiming about the adventure, especially 135 for the twistys and 62 for the sweepers that turn tighter and then more sweepers, and rock wall on one side, and trees on other side.
              I said they didnt go for a ride, the did some RYyy-DENnnn RYyy-DENnnn RYyy-DENnnn.
              They were kind enough to not say was good not to have to be waiting for the old man to catch up.

Last edited by Redman; 06-14-2022, 08:27 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Jay and kids 2013, Jay and same kids 2022:

I showed Jay the 2013 pic (there in cover of picture book).
                He said the older daughter was born within a few weeks of the first rally there in 2009.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

In case anyone is curious, bwringer;s make-shift shifter linkage repair served me well throughout the rally and got me all the way home. I expect it would have outlived the bike. But the ball join started developing a hairline crack so I decided to replace it. Found a used replacement on ebay for $25. It arrived quickly, cleaned up nicely, and now my shifter linkage is good as new (fingers crossed).

Hopefully I'll never again experience the sensation of going for a downshift and feeling the lever disappear under my feet.

Here it is all put back together

Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                  Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

It was awesome to see everyone again! I'm looking forward to continuing to be a part of this really cool tradition you've built. Thank you Steve for your help swapping my tach. And thank you Brian and Jay for working together to book the rooms. Brian if you could please share the track of that Saturday ride I'd appreciate it, that looked pretty epic. And just so I'm not surprised if we cross paths again on the other side of the country, you're not planning to be in Utah at the end of September are you? Haha.

The much more mild weather this year made the riding that much more enjoyable. Alex had a great time and said he's already in for next year. My dad felt bad for missing out and intends to make it back. My little 450 again held up well. This is my fourth season riding and I'm noticing myself getting better as a rider. I think my confidence and abilities on twisty sections of road are starting to exceed the capabilities of the bike. Around home I treat it like my cruiser, good for days where I'm just out to enjoy the ride and not get there all that quickly. So I should be fair to it, spirited 300 mile days isn't quite what she sees the rest of the summer. But this probably does mean you'll see my Nighthawk or V-Strom next year.

Last year I hardly took any pictures, this year I took some along our rides but didn't get any people pictures. But that's a little progress I suppose.

I was glad to see Route 450 at a normal level of gravel, last year the gravel was completely ridiculous. Snuck in a ride Thursday night with some ice cream in Shoals. I don't know what it is about riding a motorcycle but if I'm out and see an old-fashioned ice cream stand, I'm stopping.

Friday it was threatening rain all day but we kept north of it into Nashville. Killed an hour taking the distillery tour at Hard Truth while we waited for the weather to the south to clear up. It was nice to ride 58 back into Bedford, my dad and I did this loop last year but bailed out to US 50 when we hit some heavy rain.

Saturday Alex plotted out a nearly 300 mile day down to the river and back. Route 160 out of Salem was very good. At Charlestown State Park we took a little walk through the site of an old riverside amusement park from the 20s and 30s. Not much remains, but the base of the sign where boats would unload still stands. From there we had more ice cream at a really cool roadside stand. Found a neat tree-lined narrow road towards Leavenworth where we apparently missed the lunch rush at The Overlook, got seated right away right by a window.

So I am someone who really enjoys finding places that are stuck in time. Well not far from Leavenworth we filled up on gas at a place that was REALLY stuck in time. Old rusty pumps, shelves sparsely stocked with completely random items, and what they did have looked like it had been sitting there for 30 years. The only thing that appeared to be sold on a regular basis was beer. Quite bizarre.

Thank you again everybody! Looking forward to next year already.
                    Last edited by VGplay; 06-18-2022, 11:53 PM. Reason: Fixed Pictures
                    1982 Suzuki GS450TXZ
                    1985 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S
                    2015 Suzuki V-Strom DL650

Comment

Your images aren't loading. "Invalid link specified."
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Should be fixed!
                        Last edited by VGplay; 06-19-2022, 12:04 AM.
                        1982 Suzuki GS450TXZ
                        1985 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S
                        2015 Suzuki V-Strom DL650

Comment

Originally posted by VGplay View Post
                          ... Brian if you could please share the track of that Saturday ride I'd appreciate it, that looked pretty epic. And just so I'm not surprised if we cross paths again on the other side of the country, you're not planning to be in Utah at the end of September are you? Haha.
                          Here's that Saturday track, pretty much the most intense twistacular route I could dream up. Dale and I were completely beat by the end of the day. There's an older track called "Bedford Borden Blunk Bash" with a lot of these elements, but this one is even better, and has fewer errors.

https://www.bwringer.com/gpx/bedford...t-overload.gpx

It takes a lovely scenic and twisty back road route to and from Salem, and routes around the road closing in Salem. Then another back road route to Borden, and a romp up and down and around the hills around Borden, shoots over to the spectacular Skyline Drive on a high ridge overlooking New Albany and Louisville (please stop if you want to look at the scenery... it's impossible to both ride and look). Then it goes up and down the Ohio river valley several times (Blunk Road is one of my favorites). There's a busy little country store in Elizabeth, a rather "authentic" biker bar in Mauckport, and a gorgeous back road route from there to Corydon, then back through Salem via Beck's Mill Road.

This is the raw track, no cleanup or anything, wrong turns and all, so buyer beware. There is one very short, maybe 1/4 mile, segment of gravel near the end of the day just outside Bono. You can work around it to the south easily enough.

Originally posted by VGplay View Post
                          So I am someone who really enjoys finding places that are stuck in time. Well not far from Leavenworth we filled up on gas at a place that was REALLY stuck in time. Old rusty pumps, shelves sparsely stocked with completely random items, and what they did have looked like it had been sitting there for 30 years. The only thing that appeared to be sold on a regular basis was beer. Quite bizarre.

Yeah, that little store in Sulfur really is open... doesn't look like it at first glance. There's a porta-potty out back, next to the gantry for skinning deer. I'm not brave enough to try Donnie's Famous Chili.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Brian...quick question about that route: In Salem there is a stubby little out and back on Old State Highway 60 West, right off State Rd 56. Is this is a wrong turn, or is there something interesting to see down there?
                            Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                              Brian...quick question about that route: In Salem there is a stubby little out and back on Old State Highway 60 West, right off State Rd 56. Is this is a wrong turn, or is there something interesting to see down there?
                              LOL, nope, just a wrong turn and a dead end. Nothing interesting back there. Turned too soon off 56.

Those segments between Salem and the East fork of the White River (and Muscatatuck) are a mix of the most gorgeous countryside sprinkled with people living in the middle of junk piles. There's even a literal junkyard. It's a really fun route, though.
                              Last edited by bwringer; 06-20-2022, 08:35 PM.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks! I was just porting it over to Basecamp. I didn't see any other weird things, but that one sort of stuck out. Can't wait to try it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X