• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rijko View Post

You're one of the exceptions Rob.
    Probably not the first time you've heard that
    'True dat'!
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

What kind of welder do you have? Tig would be more then enough. There are many ways you could gusset the swing arm, so look them up, don't go by my one pic. I really would consider draining the oil, taking off the clutch cover, checking the free length of the springs, sitting that long, they are probably squished, and then check the clutch plates.

Comment

Ive been using a MIG welder to get the shock in place. I have a plan already layed out for gussets on the swing arm. Once thats done ill send some more pictures... So i finally got my battery today after struggling for a month. Just so i can run into a little problem. Based of the dimensions i got online for the batery it was going to fit under my tank. I made a little mock batery out of wood and it fitted 100%... long story short... it doesnt fit under my my tank its about 10mm to tall( i screwed up when i made the mock batery). I really didnt want to put my batery under the seat but it looks like i might have to. Cutting and welding on the subframe i dont have a problem with, but i dont want to cut and add to the rest of the frame. IMG_20230202_165916.jpg shes just to tall to slide into position... i can take the engine out and then put the batery in, but that is not practical at all. I also dont want to cut and move those 2 gusstes blocking the batery from sliding in.

I will now be building my seat around the batery, id prefer a flat seat with a tiny lift at the back, if i mount the batery in the back it will be a bit to high for what im going for. Mounting the batery above the shock seems like my best bet at the moment.

Comment

IMG_20230202_174243.jpg That seat frame there was jusy to test the shock its getting taken off, after that the batery will fit alot better.

Comment

IMG_20230202_173858.jpgsomething like that then the rest of my electronics further along the seat.

Comment

IMG_20230203_103219.jpg not the best drawing but itas the concept
              Attached Files

Comment

IMG_20230203_103211~2.jpg so ill build a little box around the batery and have a flatish seat coming from there.
                Attached Files

Comment

I have a nice square wave Mig, your Mig will do a great job. Just hoping you weren't going to do it with a "stick"

The pick below would work as a truss. The wall needn't be too thick either..

850 Truss.jpg
                  Last edited by Suzukian; 02-03-2023, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Kenneth_G_Rogers this is a really nice build so far. More as a general Q: How much do mono-shocks improve...handling? Traction, hitting dips and bumps etc for daily commuters?

I'm working on a GS1000 right now, it's still in the planning stages so... just wondering. Sorry to distract on your thread, friend.
                    1982 GS 450L aka Lil' Red
                    1980 GS 1000G aka Big Red (Resto-mod WIP)

Comment

If I were going to a mono shock conversion, I would grab the swing arm, the linkages and bolts, and weld the brackets to make the Suzuki Full Floating Suspension system. That is incredible. The bike of my motorcycle tracks so fantastically. Look it up. The parts can be found off of EBAY reasonably, as they don't really wear down. The GS1150 or GS750ES from the early 1980's on would work.

csteel_179_2-768x843.jpg

Comment

Project has been put on hold till end the month, I bought over one of my friends 1979 750. So i just need to top up the savings first before i continue. IMG-20230210-WA0015.jpg
                        Last edited by Kenneth_G_Rogers; 02-12-2023, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Plans for this month will be to open up the motor making sure everything is in good shape and looking for any parts i need to replace. Im almost done with the subframe design. Still making small adjustments to make sure theres enough space for all the electronics and at the same time make it as small and strong as possible. Ill updates with more photos as i get the small things done.

Comment

Nice looking bike. An 18" wheel conversion would help it out a lot.

Comment

Screenshot_20230227-115027.jpg im leaking fuel out of the carbs only on this spot... when i first put it on i thought its coming from the float bowl, maybe the gasket. Checked it it was still in excellent condition.. then i eventually found the problem here...

Comment

16774915972186731517304132152861.jpgjust a better view... did check the fuel line and the clamp. On the clamp i struggle to see if its not coming from the back of the feul line. So far i believe its not the feul line

Comment

Working...
                                X