No announcement yet.

"Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had a server upgrade the earlier part of this month.

The upgrade to our webhost server has been completed. There may be a delay of up to 24 hours for the new IP changes to be made to your DNS server. This means that anything that you may have entered to the forum since this morning may be lost when the DNS update happens. On my end the change to DNS has been completed 10:53 EST.

It might be helpful to know if these problems are occurring on any threads that were either started of posted to within the last ten days or so--since the switch. What has been reported so far seems to be from older threads.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I have not seen a problem with anything recent. I'm just selecting the Post Reply and seeing if it presents editable form or not. While I do see your added test post, I am still unable to add to it. The original link I used as an example was last posted to on 01-04-2023, 02:01 PM. But it appears that all the threads under "Popular Technical Info​" are locked.

Other threads in various area are also locked. For example:

However, even older threads than 1/4/23 are not locked, for example:
      This forum is for use by the female riders/owners of the GS. Share your unique viewpoints and perspectives here.

Comment

I did a little digging into this and there isn't anything definitive that I can find. Some of the conditions where folks have seen the error message are
        • that it affects only some people
        • it tends to happen with old posts. (Is the thread creator account possibly deleted?)
        • you can get the error message one time and then another time you go in and don't have a problem.
        t doesn't appear to be a hard programming error since it isn't affecting everyone, all the time. There are a couple of things that I can do with the databases to rebuild indexes. It's a pretty server intensive deal and I'll have to shut things down while I do it. Since it' is now Sunday night, a busy night, I'll wait and do it tomorrow night 5/22.

Comment

Don and Frank, I just sent you both a PM with this same error message but this is what I got:

image.png
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Cowboy, can you post the URL you were using above. I can't read it in your image.

I have gone a performed maintenance on the database. Let me know if you are still seeing the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by joequesmith View Post
              I have not seen a problem with anything recent. I'm just selecting the Post Reply and seeing if it presents editable form or not. While I do see your added test post, I am still unable to add to it. The original link I used as an example was last posted to on 01-04-2023, 02:01 PM. But it appears that all the threads under "Popular Technical Info​" are locked.

Other threads in various area are also locked. For example:

However, even older threads than 1/4/23 are not locked, for example:
              https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ms/ladies-only

Over the course of time and forum software upgrades things may have gone squirrely. Typically a topic like the PMint post above would be closed since adding comments to a post that old doesn't make any sense. I'm pretty sure I would have done that in the past but looking at the post now, I see that it wasn't closed. So I have gone and closed it. Go there now and see if you are still getting the error message.

I should note that old posts are not automatically closed. That is something I have to do manually and typically I only do it if I see people posting to old things where it doesn't make any sense to allow posting.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                Go there now and see if you are still getting the error message.
                i am still getting the message. Cleared browser cache, no difference.
                Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                Bikecliff's website
                The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

.... So I have gone and closed it. Go there now and see if you are still getting the error message.

I should note that old posts are not automatically closed. That is something I have to do manually and typically I only do it if I see people posting to old things where it doesn't make any sense to allow posting.
                  That specific thread is now marked as closed. It still appears that all the threads under "Popular Technical Info​" can not be posted, nor can you add a new topic unless you have admin rights. Basically that entire section appears to be read only.

Comment

That specific thread is now marked as closed. It still appears that all the threads under "Popular Technical Info​" can not be posted, nor can you add a new topic unless you have admin rights. Basically that entire section appears to be read only.
                    think that's it ... same here, i see the "Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page" message in every thread there.
                    The "post reply" button is there, but it looks like regular users do not have the permission to post in that section.
                    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                    Bikecliff's website
                    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

I get that same problem, but only on that "End of ICE Motorcycles Thread". I cannot get to it from the notifications link still, and find it only through the search function. Just to let you know.

Comment

I just want to clarify some things in how the forum is set up. There are some forums such as Popular Technical Info that is set to read-only (as was what was surmised above)., Why? Because they contain threads that have pertinent info from long ago. My thoughts are that there isn't anything new to add to the topic, so why allow it to grow in size with unimportant posts, therefore it is set to read-only. If you feel that a read-only forum or post shouldn't be that way then let me know and I'll see what we can do to put it somewhere where it makes better sense.

Now I am not sure what you see on your screen when a forum or thread is read-only. Speaking from a UI standpoint you shouldn't see a Replay or Post button if it's read-only but I'm not sure that vBulletin is that smart. But you certainly shouldn't get an error message if you try though. So that's one question I have.

As for problems when clicking on links via the Notification window, I have seen things online talking about problems with that. It appears that once the system generates a notification that may have a link, if the post that the link refers to then disappears, the notification doesn't get automatically deleted. This can then cause the situation where you can have a notification that points to a non-existent link. Also, it appears that you may get a notification to an area that you don't have permission to read or post in. So while I feel that vBulletin software is one of the better packages out there, it definitely isn't without its issues.

Next I see that folks are having problems with the End of ICE Motorcycles thread if trying to access it through Notifications. So try clicking on this direct link and see what happens.

This area is to be used only for general GS topics. For non-GS related topics, join the Off-Topic usergroup. <b>Technical questions are not to be posted here.</b>

If you can, copy the link to the thread from the Notification window and post it here. Let's compare the URL's and see what the differences are.

Comment

I just want to clarify some things in how the forum is set up. There are some forums such as Popular Technical Info that is set to read-only (as was what was surmised above)., Why? Because they contain threads that have pertinent info from long ago. My thoughts are that there isn't anything new to add to the topic, so why allow it to grow in size with unimportant posts, therefore it is set to read-only. If you feel that a read-only forum or post shouldn't be that way then let me know and I'll see what we can do to put it somewhere where it makes better sense.

You have an "Old Technical Info Forum" and a "Popular Technical Info". Both appear to be set to read only. Your stance is both are old and there is nothing new to add to them. If the goal is to prevent forum growth with what you feel are unimportant posts, that's certainly an effective technique. My only feelings about it was it wasn't clear that it had been set to read only so I assumed when I tried to create a new thread or add to one, there was a problem.

You do bring up a good point. The GS is 40 years old and I wouldn't have expected there to be concerned about posting at this stage. If anything, I would have thought the site would be struggling for new content. Maybe the operating costs to double the size would be out of the budget. Just seems a bit odd but it's not my site.

​Now I am not sure what you see on your screen when a forum or thread is read-only. Speaking from a UI standpoint you shouldn't see a Replay or Post button if it's read-only but I'm not sure that vBulletin is that smart. But you certainly shouldn't get an error message if you try though. So that's one question I have.
                          No problem. Now that I am aware of it, I will just ignore any problems I have when posting. Carry on and thanks for clearing things up.

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post

Maybe you have to have a fast Suzuki to enter the thread? Trevor and I don't have that problem. Haha!

Good to hear from you Ed, I hope everything is going well with you.
                            Good to hear from you too, Norm!

All is well buddy.

Hope everything is going well for you.
                            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I get the "invalid URL" error message when trying to post a reply to Nessisms Earls brake line thread. It's been giving me that message since late last year. Its the only thread I've had issues with.
                              - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                              - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Working...
                              X