Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about this?

Create a "Cafe Forum".

The first post in the first thread is a list of links to all the other cafe forums, maybe with commentary.

Lock it down.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Although I'm not a fan of most of the hacked up bobber/rat/café bikes I've seen, there are some that have been note worthy and aesthetically pleasing.

A new forum for those that are a fan of that style doesn't bother me. I just hate it when a good survivor gets hacked for a fad and will soon be ignored. Does creating a new forum fill a need? Probably does but I'd hate to encourage it at the same time. Don't think I'd visit it... Just don't think I could stand seeing some fine examples get all hacked up. I don't think it will change the minds of those that don't like the style either. It may even become another venue for venting that should be avoided. Kind of like the Vortex but more bike related instead of the BS politics that seems to be spewed in that forum. It would at least be bike related.

As for loud pipes.... Well they just end up pi$$ing off and reinforcing negatives about bikes and riders to non riders. I ride just about every day and love bikes, but I have a neighbor that screams past my house with an open exhaust crotch rocket every morning. Nothing like waking up at 5am to the sound of a screeching loud bike zipping past my house. Only time I've ever wished for a biker to go down.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

another thought...

The first GS 750 was a 1977. That's 38 years ago. I know there are a few, but not many original owners here. Considering that newer more modern bikes are readily available for similar money would indicate that people are seeking these old GS bikes out, maybe as a result of the cafe / retro trend. I think were seeing the emergence of the next generation. Heck, I was only 13 when my 1150 was built and the bike was already 14 years old when I rescued it from a garage where it sat for 12 years, and at 42, I am among the younger members here. And while some bikes may be sacrificed to the trend, I suspect as many will be saved from the scrap yard. Id rather see a rescued bike turned cafe bike, then see it in the junk heap.

I think the cafe trend will peak at some point, and then what will be left are the long term devotees who will continue in the form with ever better results.

Car guys will remember the pro street trend of the late 80s-early 90s where nice vintage cars were hacked regularly to the dismay of the purists. It peaked and trend riders moved on. The current cafe craze is very similar.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by G-3 View Post
          I'm at least 25lbs under stock, if that dosent add performance on a 500lbs motorcycle nothing will! And I'm in the club that loud pipes save lives. Thay may not see me but they hear me!
          look man I'm sorry if my bike is a travesty in your eyes but we all ride. I know you got some great knowledge to share, I hope you don't judge me by the way my bike looks. Even if it isn't your thing.
          Loud pipes save lives.... WRONG!

Loud pipes make for ****ed off neighbors and give motorcyclists a bad image.

Comment

"Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

People who think that loud pipes make you more noticed don't have an understanding how sound works. The pipes face the wrong way. Higher frequency sounds are directional. High revving, and particularly 4 cyl bikes have higher frequencies. Maybe a Harley can be heard to an extent from ahead, but even a Harley is a higher freq than would be considered low freq. But if you have ever driven on a Los Angeles freeway, you know that you typically do not hear a motorcycle until it is right on you.....even if it has an un-godly loud pipe. I have a friend that ran an open pipe on his R6 for a while. I could not ride behind him. In front of him, no problem didn't even bother me. Now, staying ahead of him was an issue, but for an entirely different reason.

I am not against after market performance exhausts, but the reason is for performance, not some safety myth.

"If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do..." --PJ Pijanka
              1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
              sigpic
              My GS550 Build

Comment

CAFE all the Way.

A cafe is NOT a BOBBER
                BOBBERS and the people who make them are putrescent trash!

Cafe style bikes are an art form and deserve recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                  CAFE all the Way.

A cafe is NOT a BOBBER

Only if they're done right. All too often someone tries to make a big heavy bike look like a café and the result is less then a good example. Café bikes are supposed to be light nimble machines designed to be an around town rocket. A GS1000G does not make a good café racer but I've seen enough of them for a lifetime.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Just about everyone on here hates me for "hacking up" my 83 GS1100G... but I love how it looks! I bought the bike and I did what I wanted to do to it. Is it a perfect example of a Cafe Racer? No, and it likely never will be. But I appreciate the way it looks now a million times over how it looked stock. Hate on me if you want.

I'm not finished... more changes coming soon!

Comment

That does not look too bad
                      needs a rear fender for the lines to look right

Comment

Originally posted by gordinho80 View Post
                        Just about everyone on here hates me for "hacking up" my 83 GS1100G... but I love how it looks! I bought the bike and I did what I wanted to do to it. Is it a perfect example of a Cafe Racer? No, and it likely never will be. But I appreciate the way it looks now a million times over how it looked stock. Hate on me if you want.

I'm not finished... more changes coming soon!
                        I'd be seen on it. For how long is a matter of comfort

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Cafe forum, I'm in. L forum, not so much.

An L on the way to being a cafe is a thing of beauty. Even if it doesn't make it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                            CAFE all the Way.

A cafe is NOT a BOBBER

What he said. Right on Rusty.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              Cafe forum, I'm in. L forum, not so much.

An L on the way to being a cafe is a thing of beauty. Even if it doesn't make it.
                              Hehehe.... Poor L owners are the Rodney Dangerfield's of GS ownership.
                              No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                                Hehehe.... Poor L owners are the Rodney Dangerfield's of GS ownership.
                                Don't let Kent fool you. As you can see by his portrait he secretly Loves Ls.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Working...
                                X