No announcement yet.

Pic of the week game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my favorite WTHAW experience happened in West Virginia in 2009 I think. We used to have a rally there in odd years and in Red River Gorge KY on even years. We had been supplied with turn by turn maps and had stopped at a State park near the New River Gorge. When we left Victor took the lead (He also happened to have a GPS unit). We left the park on a Four lane highway that turned to 3 lane, then 2 lane, then 1 1/2 lane and finally to gravel. The elevation began to climb as the road got more narrow, eventually turning into what I would call a golf cart path. Victor finally stopped and I pulled up beside him as he stared at his GPS. I asked what it said and he replied "no signal". At this point we were a good way up the side of a mountain and decided to press on hoping to encounter a paved road. We finally crossed some railroad tracks and popped onto a paved road and turned Right still having no idea where we were. We soon came to a post office and walked in and asked where we were, the Lady behind the counter told us and asked how we got there. We said we had no idea, just followed a pig path over a mountain. She got a big laugh out of that and explained we had been following a power line Maintenance access road. This all happened on large street bikes and no one died. Good times!
    Last edited by marvinsc; 02-16-2019, 11:16 PM.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
      ..............For this week let's see your best WTHAI pic. I am aware as riders, we are never lost, just exploring until we run out of gas BUT once in a while one has to stop and ask "Where the Hell am I"
      I'll just add one more GS specific criteria. You just realized the electrical system is toast!

This pic captures that moment for me. It was on the Indian Reservation, at the end of a magnificent 500 mile ride. I came from Las Cruces to Truth or Consequences area on 25, then turned left on 53 going through Cuchillo and Winston which eventually turned to dirt. I had no idea what was up ahead and was pleasently supprized to come out at the VLA. This was such a fun ride I decided to fuel up in Magdelana, then take the next small road North (169) eventually heading back toward Albuquerque. 169 turned from decent pavement to Indian road 54 with aweful pavement, resembling a minefield, and eventually a dirt road rivaled only by the surface of the moon, or so it felt! This is around the spot I was swerving to avoid ruts in the road. They went from the center to the side, around deep holes and rocks. I hit a rut and went down at low speed. After some local passers by helped me to upright the GS, I squeezed the clutch and hit the starter button, only to enjoy the sound of silence. Pushing this heavy beast on a dirt road to bump start was exhausting and unfruitful. Boy, another 50 miles and I'd be home, but here I sat for five hours waiting for my son and wife to bring a trailer...

Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

This is a picture of somewhere on the Barlow Trail, had no clue where at the time.

It was the last time that I rode with my brother Eldon. We spent two days traveling this trail, camping out and picking our way along and through the ruts and holes, rocks and tree bowls, I miss him.

V
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I remember Eldon's epic trip to the Arctic circle on he Ural. I don't doubt you miss him. RIP.
          sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
          2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by ...... View Post
            .................... I've had a few of those moments ...................
            Originally posted by ........ View Post
            I've been there, ..............
            Originally posted by ........ View Post
            ................ I had no idea where I was.....
            How about that happening, when you ..... when YOU were suppose to leading a group ride......? And you have some disgusted riders wondering "how is that we are following this guy?"

Me, on GK, looking down at tank mounted map holder.
            Mr Steve there, grey shirt, looking at map he is holding.

Brown County 2015, after breakfast I said I was going to go to the Tulip Trestle, and a few other folks said they would follow along. I made my usual statement that I am not really any official group leader, but folks are welcome to follow along, will wait at stop signs for everyone catch up, will go slow thru intersections till everyone thru then accelerate, ectetera....
            I had a map (and gps, which was mostly showing its icon way far off of any road in its maps) and have only a little familiarity with the area. So after comming to an intersection and having maybe 80% confidence in which way to go, and then another where had less confidence, and then another where had about no idea which way to go, and not much of a general idea of where we were, I pulled off the first place that was bigg enough for all of us. I dispatched Justin Redmanson to climb up the slope and get a picture. The empty bike is his.
            To the far left is Norm Stormin.
            To the far right is Indy Bob, next to the right is Scott Cowboy. In center on red VStrom is Rob and Heidi (I dont recall forum name).
            I dont recall how, but somehow continued on, until found some road could identify on the map, then figured out which way to go to the destination.

I dont mind getting lost, in fact I do it on purpose when out on my own. Well, not really on purpose, but it just happens after taking a few turns just because it looks interesting to go this way then that way. I dont mind doing that when riding myself or maybe with one other.
            But not so good to get lost with a group, especially when suppose to be leading the ride ... is embarrassing actually.
            Last edited by Redman; 02-18-2019, 12:59 PM. Reason: dont mind getting lost............

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Go left? Go back? Go straight? Hmmmmm.....

Last edited by Baatfam; 02-22-2019, 11:26 AM.
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Excellent image Baatfam, so convincing it has to be genuine.
                1979 GS1000
                1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

I know we are somewhere in Washington...it looks like Rob is pointing the way...lol

This was taken last year when 7 of us did the Washington Back Country Discovery Route (WABDR)

No signature

Comment

I tend to get lost on purpose anytime I'm out riding without a destination. As Dave said, turn this way instead of that, because either I haven't been that way yet, or it just looks better... I have a couple of pictures from such adventures, but haven't had the though to look when I've had the time. We'll see what happens...
                    '83 GS 1100T
                    The Jet

sigpic
                    '95 GSXR 750w
                    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

This was taken on the way back from one of my west coast trips. Somewhere either central Oregon or Washington. Just wandering some back highways I haven't traveled before and keeping it pointed sort of northeast towards home. Didn't remember exactly where I was at the time and didn't much care. Must have been a stinking hot day because I parked in the shade, not in the sun.

Wandering Around
                      by soates50, on Flickr
                      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                        This was taken on the way back from one of my west coast trips. Somewhere either central Oregon or Washington. Just wandering some back highways I haven't traveled before and keeping it pointed sort of northeast towards home. Didn't remember exactly where I was at the time and didn't much care. Must have been a stinking hot day because I parked in the shade, not in the sun.

Wandering Around
                        by soates50, on Flickr
                        Great pic Sandy...road looks familiar...
                        No signature

Comment

Borderlands between the two states, up Enterprise way, I think.

V
                          Gustov
                          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                          81 GS 1000 G
                          79 GS 850 G
                          81 GS 850 L
                          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                          80 GS 550 L
                          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                          2002 Honda 919
                          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I forgot to submit..... wierd week.

Somewhere in NJ. I followed a low clearance sign figuring there might bee a steel bridge. I love old steel bridges.
                            http://20170826_085837 by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Friday - Vote Day....

Weekly summation:

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                              For this week let's see your best WTHAI pic. I am aware as riders, we are never lost, just exploring until we run out of gas BUT once in a while one has to stop and ask "Where the Hell am I"

Reelfoot2010 by Scott Marvin, on Flickr

I was riding in the area of Reelfoot Lake Tennessee...
                              Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
                              I was out exploring some of the smaller roads south of me and I found myself in a holler.

Originally posted by DaveR View Post
                              Ranch country in SW Saskatchewan.

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                              Lost in central NY somewhere...

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                              It was on the Indian Reservation, at the end of a magnificent 500 mile ride.

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                              This is a picture of somewhere on the Barlow Trail, had no clue where at the time.

Originally posted by Redman View Post

Brown County 2015, after breakfast I said I was going to go to the Tulip Trestle...
                              Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                              Go left? Go back? Go straight?

Continued...
                              Last edited by Baatfam; 02-22-2019, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Continued...

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                                I know we are somewhere in Washington...

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                                Somewhere either central Oregon or Washington.

Wandering Around by soates50, on Flickr
                                Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                                Somewhere in NJ.

20170826_085837 by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
                                If I forgot anyone, please let me know...

Comment

Working...
                                X