No announcement yet.

My Norton is taking shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the seat was too puffy/high and may be still. But it's lower than it was, and is super comfy. I looked high and low for foam online, and it was not easy to get ahold of. In the garage I picked up a 1.5" thick garden kneeling pad and thought hmm, this might work as a base, with the open cell firm foam on top. It works very well indeed. I took apart a small throw pillow and used the filler to fill spaces as well. Not perfect but not bad either.

Working on electrics - got a 3 phase alternator, Podtronics reg/rec, electronic ignition and single 2 plug coil. Original wiring harness is like new so I'll use it.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Now that's a proper looking motorcycle! What 'year' would you call It? Looks like a '72 or '73 to me.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        Now that's a proper looking motorcycle! What 'year' would you call It? Looks like a '72 or '73 to me.
        It's a '66 per the guy I bought the basket case from, but it may be an early '67. Number guides vary in that era so it's tough to really know for sure. The front disc brake caliper and fork lowers are off a '73 Commando, so that may be what your eye picked up. The drilled disc is aftermarket upgrade.
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Where I work, we build aircraft crew seats, among other things. If that seat foam doesn't meet your expectations, I'll look up the foam spec we use and forward the info. I looked up the info one other time, and the foam is available in the aftermarket. A lot of our seats use laminated foam bases; one density of foam is used for one element, then other pieces, of different density, are glued together using contact adhesive.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

How does it start? Does it have a compression release lever?
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

How does it start? Does it have a compression release lever?
              Kickstart on right. The lever is not mounted, I'm working on the timing and some adjustments to the frame bolts, center stand and fender mounts. The kick leverage isn't great on these Nortons with such a short lever but this one has lowish 7.5:1 compression. The pile of parts included a compression release device and lever but it's one that requires drilling a hole and tapping the cylinder head, that's not gonna happen.
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Where I work, we build aircraft crew seats, among other things. If that seat foam doesn't meet your expectations, I'll look up the foam spec we use and forward the info. I looked up the info one other time, and the foam is available in the aftermarket. A lot of our seats use laminated foam bases; one density of foam is used for one element, then other pieces, of different density, are glued together using contact adhesive.
                Thanks, the stuff I used seems just about right, will see how it goes, it's a couple layers and I'm not bottoming out but it's quite comfy too. Feels like a bike seat should.
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Check this throttle linkage out on an Excelsior big X, late teens I suppose, I don't know much about them as they are a bit before my time. Cool bike, one among many at Drager's in Burlington WA.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Here's another cool bike at the place...

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Now that's delicious. The seat, not so much. I prefer the slim two-up seat circa 1972 Sportster. But it's got what I consider the mandatory air cleaner shape and shine.

Now, for extra credit: what are the two cars (is one a pick-up?) in the pic? Expiring minds want to know.
                      Last edited by Rob S.; 11-06-2022, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Now that's delicious. The seat, not so much. I prefer the slim two-up seat circa 1972 Sportster. But it's got what I consider the mandatory air cleaner shape and shine.

Now, for extra credit: what are the two cars (is one a pick-up?) in the pic? Expiring minds want to know.
                        A Richard Petty tribute and a Datsun 1600, well, Nissan Fairlady.

1967 Plymouth Belvedere/Satellite DGC0066. VIN RH23F77100066 this is a tribute car to Richard Petty's Number 43 race car. I have pictures of Richard...

1967 Datsun Fair lady Roadster DGC5225 VINSPL31115225. This is a one family owed car that was purchased new in Okinawa Japan. The car is in great shape and...
                        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                        '79 GS100E
                        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

As I wait for the Norton's oil tank and painted side cover to be finished I took on a couple side tasks, neither is mine. One is a '67 Vespa 150 Sprint imported from Vietnam which is a nightmare electrically, plus this late '74 Honda ST90. It's a really cool little bike, a 'grown up' CT70 which is big enough for a full sized human and is basically dripping with cool, IMO. Now I want one. I've done the basics to get it ready to run again, but it needs a battery. It's pretty impressive how fully featured these were, street legal and I'd say way better than a scooter for getting around town, and able to do some trails too.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 11-27-2022, 05:38 PM.
                          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                          '79 GS100E
                          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I did a semi restoration on 65 Raleigh Roma scooter several years ago. Wiring was pretty simple. I did have to draw a wiring diagram as I took it apart so I could put it to put it back together properly. Thankfully the wiring was intact before I started.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Well the bike is ready for the oil tank to be returned so I can start it up - I left with the OG painter to match up the side cover I bought. Time marches on, the weather in CA hasn't been good for a guy who works out of his garage. It should be done in a few weeks but I've heard that before. Oh well, that's how things go.

In the meantime I have done just about everything I can to make the first startup successful. I have also gotten the side and center stands finished, that was possibly the hardest tasks, just old stuff not going together well, tight clearances due to a Norton engine in a Matchless frame. I got a reproduction tail light and number plate assembly off eBay, not without its issues but it is mounted. Man it's huge, but that's OK. I also mounted the electronic bits inside the reproduction tool/battery box, and finished up the wiring. It has a new 3 phase alternator and 12V positive ground regulator/rectifier. I thought about going negative ground but ahh, not really worth the bother IMO.

I hope to post a startup and ride video around June or July, I'll be back in Southern California and my son, my heir with no spare, will be helping. It will end up with him eventually.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                              '79 GS100E
                              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

So here it is ready for the fitting of oil tank, fuel and oil lines, then a few small things to finish off and startup. I finished the wiring, tying in the Yamaha scooter master cylinder to the circuit. The bike had no front brake light switch, just rear from stock. I'm looking forward to having it titled and on the road by July. I may fiddle with the seat as aesthetically I would like it an inch lower.

The Uni air filter is squashed in, there's only an inch or so of clearance. I couln't figure out any other solution. Originally it had twin carbs which helped with room, but it still had a very slim air filter. I can live with it.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 04-26-2023, 04:57 PM.
                                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                                '79 GS100E
                                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                                X