Serious Metal Chunks in Oil Pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
    tatu - now on closer inspection I can see that cylinder liners, pistons and all the clutch look shiny new. So I am thinking that a load of money and effort has already but put into this engine quite recently. If I can fix the head and cams, strip and rebuild it, then I would have a tip top motor. Do you concur?

I would love you to take a peek at it next time you come to Robinsons.

Greetings
    money, maybe. EFFORT,,,,,,NO. if that was the case it wouldn't have self destructed in such a manner and then rebuilt again without at the least, bothering to drop the sump off......
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I'm thinking the clutch blew, then some of the pieces ended up in the crank area and knocked off pieces of liner.

But now there is a new clutch in there and new liners, pistons and rings. But why would they even inadvertently, leave great big chunks behind after spending that sort of money on the repairs. They most probably didn't split the cases and took a chance.

At least I have some good new bits to start again with.

Greetings
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Fix and flip. Who cares if it breaks again next week? They probably didn't spend anything, threw in an old cylinder and pistons they had laying around, pop a clutch on it and post a nice for sale ad with shiny pictures.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
          tatu - now on closer inspection I can see that cylinder liners, pistons and all the clutch look shiny new. So I am thinking that a load of money and effort has already but put into this engine quite recently. If I can fix the head and cams, strip and rebuild it, then I would have a tip top motor. Do you concur?

I would love you to take a peek at it next time you come to Robinsons.

Greetings
          No worries, I in Trinidad just now, fly back Wednesday.
          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

They are called P O's for a reason. Usually sloppy work just to get some cash together. I bought a half finished dragbike and was told the motor was trash. I just needed the frame and such. Trip and I took a look at the motor and found one of the shift forks out of place. Trip reasembled and its now in my street bike. Sometimes the previous owners do us a favor. Most of the time, not so much...
            Curt
            sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

i personally would strip the rest of that motor down to see if there is other damage before looking for replacement head or cams. never know what other demons are lurking within and if you find other damage it may be worth replacing the lump and selling the rescued good bits off that motor on ebay...

Comment

Working...
              X