No announcement yet.

Paint carburetors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This guy was the man for carb painting. Check out some of his photobucket albums:

If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.

Greetings
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Those looked so good, at least the picture that I could see.

Comment

Hi Wedoo2, I am redoing the whole bike at the moment I have the engine out and cleaned I am ready to tear down the top end. After this is done I will do as you suggested and remove the side covers and polish. I will try to do the carbs at the same time. Now having said that I am thinking of having the cylinders, cylinder head, rocker cover media blasted I should do the carbs at the same time. Then I will polish everything.

Thanks for the link Londonboards.

Here is my rebuild link.
        Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Comment

Have a look at my rebuild thread, and a few other of my threads it will show you some of the cleaning, polishing and painting that I did on my full restoration...

have fun with your build...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            A lot of that would depend on your definition of "presentable".

Some prefer the look of the bare, silver carbs, others prefer paint or some other coating to match or contrast with the bike.

I have used caliper paint with good results.

Drooling over that engine. How hard was it to paint the carbs as in did you take everything. That engine looks great. Been sanding mine to get years of corrosion and neglect away from PO and going to paint mine with bits of polish parts.

Comment

Steve, did you disassemble the engine to paint it that way? Looks amazing. Mines got so much crud from the PO allowing leaks to happen all over the engine. I thought about steam washing the engine then trying to paint. What do you think?

Comment

I think I did those carbs as a complete rack, minus the tops and float bowls.

Other carbs I have done the individual bodies, because I also tend to polish the "choke" nut for a little more "bling".

Of course, I can't stop there. The fuel transfer tubes also get polished, as well as anything else that I think deserves it.

In another week or so, I will be cleaning and painting carbs for MY bike, we'll see what they look like when done.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

They look great, may have to attempt this. So take tops and flat bowls off and hit it with black gloss caliper/heat paint? Any issues with screws needing turning etc?

Comment

Originally posted by 81GS850 View Post
                    Steve, did you disassemble the engine to paint it that way? Looks amazing. Mines got so much crud from the PO allowing leaks to happen all over the engine. I thought about steam washing the engine then trying to paint. What do you think?
                    Believe it or not, that engine only got a healthy dose of engine degreaser, followed by a trip through the do-it-yourself car wash.

After it was dry (aided by air hose nozzle), I removed the covers for polishing, masked off the frame and exhaust pipes, then let the spray fly. After the paint had dried overnight, I filed the edges of the fins on the head. Should have waited longer, some of the dust from the filing got caught on some paint that was still a bit tacky.

Be careful with steam cleaning or high-pressure washing, it is far too easy to blow water into places it is not meant to be.

Last edited by Steve; 10-09-2014, 10:11 AM.
                    sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X