No announcement yet.

Crazy speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I pulled the speedo and cable and noticed the cable was slightly kinked and the outer sheath is cracked. The cable inside is still oily from last time I lubed it but I'll replace it since it's not exactly buttery smooth to turn by hand.

While the gauge is on my bench I figured I'd open and clean it and since some of you have opened up these units I figured I'd ask before screwing something up. How the heck do you get that ring off without damaging it or anything else?
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      -- I've mastered the art of opening these without damage -- and I'll fart around with it sometime when it's cold and wet outside and I'm bored. He let me have it for $5.

I'll also keep track of the mileage, and I may be able to set the odo on the replacement correctly. I've figured out how to do it on a junk speedo, but it's a rather delicate operation.
      This would make a great tutorial to ad to the collection.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
        While the gauge is on my bench I figured I'd open and clean it and since some of you have opened up these units I figured I'd ask before screwing something up. How the heck do you get that ring off without damaging it or anything else?
        Find a screwdriver that is thin enough to go under the ring, wide enough not to crease the metal and soft enough not to mark the plastic and then a lot of patience.
        Think long and hard about going in there if a new cable is on the way. A small bit of lube at the cable entry and then see how it behaves.
        Don't ask how I know this
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

If one is not a purist , and has some cash laying around --
          Would it not be easier to go electronic with the Speedo and Tach ?

May not be the best tutorial -- but you can get the idea...

<strong>
          Currently in the Stable :
          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
            [B]If one is not a purist , and has some cash laying around --

May not be the best tutorial -- but you can get the idea...
            I'm certainly no purist, but what is this "extra cash" thing you mentioned?
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
              Find a screwdriver that is thin enough to go under the ring, wide enough not to crease the metal and soft enough not to mark the plastic and then a lot of patience.
              Think long and hard about going in there if a new cable is on the way. A small bit of lube at the cable entry and then see how it behaves.
              Don't ask how I know this
              Yep, you can remove the glass quite easily without leaving any traces visible from the outside. Basically, use a very thin, small screwdriver blade to pry up the back edge of the retaining ring a wee teensy beensy tiny bit at a time. It takes a little patience and usually at least two or three trips around, but eventually you'll be able to remove the ring and the glass to get at the mechanism. (There are also a couple of screws to remove, but they're obvious.)

To reinstall, you'll use something small and smooth to re-crimp the edge. Take tiny bites and make several trips around, and the evidence will be barely visible. And it will be hidden by the "gasket" ring and outer housing.

You do NOT need to cut the housing open.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Go around at least three times before you start to actually prise the lip away. If you don't go slow you will distort the ring and it will not seal correctly when you put it back together.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                  I think I'll wait for the cable to arrive and try it out before opening the gauge. I was at Andy's house today and he's having the same issue but his gauge makes funny noises that mine doesn't. He spun the thing with piece of an old cable in a cordless drill and it squealed like crazy.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                    If one is not a purist , and has some cash laying around --

Hmmmm, interesting. Maybe if mine explodes I'll look more into something like this. Couldn't watch the whole video but an interesting gadget for sure! The tachometer is a bit funky too, but again if it explodes...
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                      I think I'll wait for the cable to arrive and try it out before opening the gauge. I was at Andy's house today and he's having the same issue but his gauge makes funny noises that mine doesn't. He spun the thing with piece of an old cable in a cordless drill and it squealed like crazy.
                      You can drip sewing machine all-in-one oil into the cable input. It might help but can also get oil on the face if overdone.

Comment

Got the new cable installed but will have to wit till morning to test ride with it. I was amazed how flexible the new cable is.
                        Hopefully that solves the erratic needle problem.
                        Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Most of us were a lot more flexible thirty five years ago
                          97 R1100R
                          Previous
                          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Wahoo, new cable fixed it! I went for a fifty mile ride this morning and the speedo needle was steady up to 90mph. Boy I almost opened up that can of worms for no reason.
                            Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Working...
                            X