Your Latest/Best Tire Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
    Wow, Help me with this one guys. I just got ready to order my sport demons, and happened to look at the schematic for my bike on Bike Bandit (81 GS1000G), and the schematic shows a tube..... It's a 1981, I thought it was tubeless... can I mount a tubeless on a rim designed for a tube? Is it REALLY a tubeless, I thought that was pre-1980.
    Take a close look at the wheel. It should say tubeless if it is. If not, put a tube in.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
      Wow, Help me with this one guys. I just got ready to order my sport demons, and happened to look at the schematic for my bike on Bike Bandit (81 GS1000G), and the schematic shows a tube..... It's a 1981, I thought it was tubeless... can I mount a tubeless on a rim designed for a tube? Is it REALLY a tubeless, I thought that was pre-1980.
      The "Joe's Garage" gang has converted a few "tube only" wheels for use with tubeless tires and have not ever had a problem with them. There IS some grinding involved on some wheels, because the hole the valve stem goes through is tapered on the tube style wheels (at least the ones we converted) and we had to remove some metal in order to create a nice flat surface for the tubeless valve stems to seal properly against. A dremel can be your best friend!!

The wheel will normally have some imprint on it indicating "tube only" or some such words ... that's how you can tell (usually) what you've got.

Regards,

Comment

Damn it. Another day delay ordering. I'm going to have to wait until I get home and look closely at what I have on it now. I just can't imagine those tires have tubes, but I better be sure.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I think the only tube-type wheels were the spoked ones. I think all the mags are tubeless.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
            I could be wrong, but I think the only tube-type wheels were the spoked ones. I think all the mags are tubeless.
            I am 99.9% sure you are right, but at $200.00 for the pair, and the bitch of having to return them. I guess I'll wait and order tomorrow. That should get them here by next weekend.

Comment

Another difference is the shape of the rim, mags for tubeless have a kind of a lip inside the bead area, wheels for tubes do not.
              They will work anyway, just wasn't designed for it. May not be as safe if the air suddenly goes out of the tire.

I'm not doing tubes any more.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Nope, Bruce ... some mags were "tube" type ... the ones we converted at Joe's place were mags...

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                  Nope, Bruce ... some mags were "tube" type ... the ones we converted at Joe's place were mags...

Regards,
                  I stand corrected. Thanks, Steve. I wasn't sure on that...
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

My '81 GS has mag wheels and were tubed. I put on a set of tubeless tires with minimal effort. The only thing that I had to do, was to enlarge the hole for the new valve stem. Just make sure you get a replacement stem that has a large enough rubber, to seal the groove in the wheel. I didn't do any other grinding and was able to get the tire to seal perfectly. Have about 2500 miles on the tires so far, with no issues.

Comment

I'm gonna look tonight. Hopefully I can tell from the tire that is on it if it's a tubeless one, barring that, I'll contact the PO.

Comment

My 78 has tubes. My 80 has a tubeless rear & a tubed front.... It's clearly marked on the rim.

They're all mags & look the same from the outside.

Dan
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                          My 78 has tubes. My 80 has a tubeless rear & a tubed front.... It's clearly marked on the rim.

They're all mags & look the same from the outside.

Dan
                          Hoping when I get home shortly, the tire will say tubeless or not.

Comment

Look on the rim not the tyre.

Tyre will likely say "tubeless, tube on tubed type rim" or something similar.

Dan
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                              Look on the rim not the tyre.

Tyre will likely say "tubeless, tube on tubed type rim" or something similar.

Dan
                              Yes, this. The tires will work just fine with or without tubes. No need to return the tires or anything like that.

If your rim requires a tube and you don't feel comfortable converting it (pleeeeeeeease don't open this tedious debate again), just go get a tube at your local Motorbike Shoppe and put one in.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                              X