No announcement yet.

How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6th gear flat out a little above the red at 12000RPM, the speedo said 110... when you calculate the ratios it comes out to 111... in other words planty fast enough...

for now..

Comment

My GS750L's spedo goes to 140. I was flyin on it yesterday! I glanced down at my speed and it clearly read 22 mph. In other words, I was nearly going the legal limit for that stretch (25 mph). That's the fastest I've had it up to so far.

Seriously 8O

Comment

After finally getting the new clutch, tires, chain, pipe, jet kit, and K&N filter installed I just had to get the ol' bike out and let her rip. I got up to just over 150 on the interstate before I ran into some traffic and backed down. Didn't have much left from there so I can't imagine it'd go much faster.

Comment

My 1150 tachs out at something over 22 mph. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Andropolis
          My GS750L's spedo goes to 140. I was flyin on it yesterday! I glanced down at my speed and it clearly read 22 mph. In other words, I was nearly going the legal limit for that stretch (25 mph). That's the fastest I've had it up to so far.

Seriously 8O
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
            My 1150 tachs out at something over 22 mph. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Andropolis
            Seriously 8O
            First gear is unknown, second gear is atleast 80 at redline. If 22 is flyin' on a 750, becareful of 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. They can be a real B*TCH !

Brad tt

Comment

The guy that I bought my 650Kat off a couple of year's ago ( top bloke ) is also a race marshal at Philip Island race track, so he used to take advantage of the advanced rideing courses they held there.
              He was clocked at just over 200kph, not bad for an old 650.

Comment

Had mine up to 120 on several occasions :twisted: even with filthy carburators. Only mods are UNI filters replacing the stock airbox. It will go faster, but there isn't much pull left. I'm thinking of a stage three jet kit and trying to find exhaust (Anyone know something?).

Comment

Not as fast as I thought it was in '78

When I finally got my '78 GS1000 back together (very nice OEM shape if I must say) I was disappointed at how slow it was (modern 600's beat the snot out of it), shocked at how bad it handled (flexi frame and skinny tires don't make for great handling), and amazed at the poor brakes (Fred Flintstone anyone?). Now before you jump and tell me it?s ?not right?, this bike is put together well. The motor is strong, it?s got new swing arm bushings, new steering head, races and bearings, new wheel bearings and tires. Brake calipers are rebuilt, pads are new and rotors are true and clean. 27-year-old bikes just are not up to current day rides.

Every time I ride it I can?t believe I raced one of these at Brainerd in the CRA in the early ?80s. And I truly can?t believe the press this bike got in 1978, being hailed as ?The best handling Super Bike, period!? and ?. . .83 HP and light weight at only 536 lbs.?. Cripes, my dirt bike makes over 40HP from only one cylinder! My freaking GS Adventure only weighs a bit more and it has an 8-gallon gas tank.

All that being said, I will never sell or trade this Maroon/orange striped beauty. The seat is flat and comfy, the mirrors are crystal clear at 65 MPH and it?s nicer than the one I had in ?78. This bike is a piece of history that brings me back to the days when I was ?young and stupid? and helps me remember when and I why I started riding. I stopped wanting the best and fastest a few years back and now I?m collecting a few bikes that are fun to ride, look cool and have more of a pedigree (to me) than the latest superbike that has the same staying power as a 486DX. Anyone know where a nice ?78 Yamaha XS500E can be had?

These old bikes are slow, don?t handle and don?t stop but I could care less. My smile makes up for it all every time I ride one!

Comment

Top Speed

When the bike was new, I had my 83 GS750ES up to 100MPH on the Long Beach Fwy. Today with my carb, ignition and vacuum leak problems, I can't even get it out of the garage.

Comment

1982 GS 450L 102mph 8O with NO windshield

Comment

I got my 83 gs1100 stock up to 100mph. Backed off bad front tire had more to go on the throttle. When I get a new front tire might have to see how fast I can go.

Comment

those babys will easily do 100.--- 120 to 130 should be attainable if all is running correctly

Comment

i dont know the top speed of my bike yet, i haven't dropped it from high enough, ill let you know when i do...

Comment

My 1985 GS300L does 80-85, maybe a little faster or slower depending on the wind...

intercessor

Comment

Put a Harley to shame (yeah, big challenge :? ) the other day on I 93 south near Pennacook NH. Indicated 140 on the speedo, but the GPS (accurate as heck) said 132.5. Glad I didn't see any turns. Definitely as fast as that thing could go with my fat a$$ on it. WFO for about 8 miles, so I know it didn't have anything else in it.

What I like is the roll on ability these bikes have. I rode with a guy on a GSXR750 and a Honda Blackbird, not to mention Andy's YZF-1, I could keep up with thier passing even when they were really pouring it on.
                                Currently bikeless
                                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                                X