No announcement yet.

How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did 110 mph on the Maine pike(1-95) a few weeks back.
    Just out of Portsmouth. Had to slow down when I realized how fast I was going and the mess I would leave 8O 8O 8O 8O :roll:
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

I HAD MY 81 GS450 L UP TO 79 WITH NO PROBLEMS BUT IT IS GOING TO GO FASTER TRUST ME !

Comment

fast.

I had mine up to 85 which is all the gauge reads or close enough my needle was kinda bouncing around . Met up with a guy this week who could take 1st gear to sixty on his i think 663 kawasaki ninja. pop wheelies and everything. It was insanity.

Comment

How fast...?

Recently returned to motorcycling after a ten year break, and have acquired a 79 850 G. At an indicated 4200 rpm, it's travelling at 70mph, so if I could get it to rev to the redline in top gear, I would be travelling at 145mph or so. However, it's difficult holding on to the bars at anything over 100 (no fairing) and the skinny front tire does little for my confidence.

Back in the early eighties, I owned a highly modded Suzuki 750 complete with turbo running at 14psi. I still have the little slip of paper given to me by a nice policeman which has a pretty picture of my number plate above the speed gun readout of 156.8mph.... For the next six months my only biking was of the human-powered variety and I had to sell the Suzy to pay the fine.

Comment

Wish I knew, my GSX750E has 1100E cams, valves & reported intakes and hemi'd heads. Also Lockhart oil cooler, Accel ignition coils. Problem is the stock speedo that only goes to 80mph. Can do that with 3 gears after just shifting to 3rd, with 2 more gears to go and a 10000rpm redline - who knows. Be interesting with the Vetter 'Jammer fairing. Too bad the roads around me suck and are crammed with clueless cagers. Had my old Yam Venture over 130mph. That was heart pounding!

Comment

Fastest I've ever gone is ~185mph in a car. I can't imagine half that on a bike.

Comment

A lot depends on the bike. Some bikes feel stretched out and strained at 90 or above. My 1150 is just settling down to a sedate economy cruise at 90. Its barely running at that speed. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by UncleMike
                Fastest I've ever gone is ~185mph in a car. I can't imagine half that on a bike.
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure comfort will come with experience.

Considering that my first open road ride was two days ago, sixty miles an hour on a 35mph road is the fastest I've gone so far.

Comment

Just take it easy and let the learning curve take care of itself. Its going to take a while, so you may as well relax and enjoy it. :-)

Earl

Yeah, I'm sure comfort will come with experience.

Considering that my first open road ride was two days ago, sixty miles an hour on a 35mph road is the fast
                    est I've gone so far.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

:-)

E.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

220km/hr indicated and climbing strong.

Comment

Uncle Mike-like I'm sure you heard already- rubber side down, chrome side up! Riding for over 20 years, I've banged up a few rides. Including my GS. Just stay relaxed and alert at the same time ( sounds like something Mr. Myagi would say!).

Comment

Probably the best thing Mike has going for him is the time he has put in getting his bike running and looking right. He is young enough to be invincible himself, but I suspect that the thought of a scratch and dent on that paint job would strike terror to his core. ....Ride easy. It's just for fun.
                              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                              80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by dpep
                                I suspect that the thought of a scratch and dent on that paint job would strike terror to his core.
                                Consider your suspicions confirmed. Especially now that both bikes have custom paint jobs. Although you'll probably have to wait until spring to see the 450. I've got some work to do yet, and I can't wait to show her off.

Maybe I'll have to get another bike, just so I can trash it and not feel bad. I do need something to practice wheelies,...

Comment

Working...
                                X