Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Fast

Originally posted by Atilla the Bunny

Once I replace the chain and sprockets and put new seals on the forks I am going to have to find a track on which to play.

I think I wore that "I just went 100 mph on my bike" grin for days!
    Here's a link to some trackdays, schools, etc.

Comment

(Linked from www.reallifecomics.com)

-=Whittey=-

Comment

Well my bike needs a new ignition i have a week spark and it's running rich right now and i still hit 110mph with it and climbing easy before my front tire started to wobble, found a cup in the tire. Thats on my 850GL

Comment

I've had mine up to 75, but only for a short time. I'm a very timid driver. I've had my car up to 85 though.

Comment

Never got my GS850 to the limit, stopped at about 115 mph.
            In my ''immortal days'', my GS1000E did about 225 kph or 140 mph.

Don't feel the need of doing this again; I'm getting older, and there's so much more traffic nowadays, compared to the late 70's.

Comment

My -81 stock 450 can do 90mph!
              It's quite fast for the little thing. 8)

Comment

I took it up to around 120 last night..............Man it is running very well right now in the cooler air,,,,,,,,Lil GS750 will really move out

Comment

Originally posted by Alwyn678
                  I took it up to around 120 last night..............Man it is running very well right now in the cooler air,,,,,,,,Lil GS750 will really move out
                  I do that from time to time myself Al but i think we better both COOL IT. Oh yeah, I forgot to ask you what cooler air is???

Comment

Well lets see,, how fast have I gone,, My 79 Gs1000E with vetter fairing and lowers and samsonite luggage on the back had me going 130 with alot of throttle to go and a few more RPM left.. The front end felt way to light (b/c of the fairing) so I had to let off her,, I stripped it down once for a month or so but never had it past 100,, but it sure was fin blowing the plastic off my friends Katana 600 with it,,, now I actually have to try hard to pass him,,, then the first turn or stop,, and I'm back in second place!! LOL :roll:

Comment

how fast ??

Believe it or not I only tried 2 or 3 times to see how fast my 750EX would go flat out. Once by myself on a roughly 2 mile flat stretch my speedo was barely a needle width over 210 kph or 130 mph!! 8) Pretty damn good I thought. The next time brought me a pretty big speeding fine as the provincial police said according to his radar I went by at 204 kph or 126 mph. Yeah, I wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer when I was 17 when I think back(especially when it came to going fast). If the bike will still do it 16 years later, I don't know. Properly tuned it just may, plus I'm a bit lighter than I used to be.

Jon Kram

81 GS750EX and proud of it!!

Comment

I've had my bike up to 130km/h and it handled fairly well. Actually, the bike rides better at higher speeds with luggage. But still, that isn't fast enough for passing on highways with a traffic speed of 120km/h. I imagine the bike can get to the theoretical top speed of 160km/h but with the state of tune my carbs are in it would take too long if I wanted to pass somebody. Passing ability is necessary as I pass everybody (sometimes 3 times in one trip since my gastank is so small )

Steve

Comment

I passed a kawie ZX1100 at 165mph on my GS 1150 and been 175mph on my old 82 GS1000 Katana wish I never sold It some people say speed kills I live off it and no there not stock you know there is nothing like a good head
                          Hey Slowpoke good air is what we in Florida call February

Comment

Dunno, I suspect ~130 on my '82 GS1100EZ a few years back.

Going from San Diego to Yuma for a training op in '94 (USMC), The bike was new (to me). I had just gotten it back from the shop where I had a tune-up, safety check, and tires done. I had not ridden it any real distance yet, and had not ridden a bike that could move for years (traded my old '80 Honda CM400 for it. 'nother story).

I went out on Interstate 8 or 10, I forget which. The one that is a straight shot to Yuma anyway. After a bit, I noticed the roads open, clean, and dry. It was a warm day, but not hot yet, so melted asphalt was not a problem yet. I decided to go 85 and watch the radar detector. I lay down on the tank bag, feet back, and cruise....

I notice I am passing cars like they are standing still. No radar, a sky scan tells me no speed planes... So I just keep going and watching.

A few hours later, "Yuma 14". What? Yuma is still hours away! I notice I am near redline. At 85? Quick check, Yup, top gear. Hmmm... And what's this little peg by the 85 on my speedo?

D'Oh!

Nearly out of gas, I let the throttle go, and the needle finally moves off 85 at about 3500 RPM. Sunofa...

I was checked in, got my room, a base pass, and already back out the gate headed for town before my next fastest colleague came in. Another bike, of course (Honda V45). His speed was intentional, though.

God, I miss that bike. Beyond doubt the best bike I have ever owned. Blew the shifter shaft O-ring while a friend was riding it. Seized up once it ran out of oil. I sold it to him for $500, about what I had invested in it.

Comment

135 on my GS1150E when it was new and I was "young and dumber"

Comment

Why is it that some GS1100s here can do 160mph and the top speed for my 1100 is supposed to be 141mph? Did Suzuki switch gear ratios between the different years? I was under the impression that all of the 1100/1150s were pretty much the same. HP output may be different but the end of the redline is pretty much max and that's going to determine the topspeed.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X