1978 Suzuki GS750 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ValorSolo View Post
    I tested the voltage to the solenoid from the start button, and it was good.
    So I guess it's the solenoid. That's an easy and inexpensive issue to fix.
    May as well replace the turn signal relay, while I'm at it.

I have all my wiring straightened out and in pretty good shape.
    I have a couple of wires twisted together for testing that need connections crimped on.
    Any way, I have it to the point I could install my airbox, but my boots aren't as good as I thought.
    They're fairly soft and I thought they were fine. But after trying to install the airbox, I now think otherwise.

Nothing to do but order some when I get my bike budget back in the green.
    Maybe I'll have the tank together by then.
    Oh, and I may or may not use the HD petcock, as I've found a lever-less, vacuum type dirt cheap.
    I'm thinking of getting three or four, just to have a couple for other experiments.

And I ordered some SS bracket material that should be here any day.
    I'll be able to start work on my grab bar again.

Had the same problem when I put bike back together, starter would not turn over, thought it was the solenoid and it was. I did not have it earthed. I had left an earth lead off one of the mounting screws. Hope this is the same problem with yours. good luck
    GED

1980 GS850G (BLACK)
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185562
    1980 GS850G (RED) http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=219169
    1980 GS850G (SILVER) (Coming soon)

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old bold riders!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
      I don't know what these lines are used originally for, but are they fuel and chemical resistant ? I wouldn't like to see them fall/melt while your riding and onto a hot motor, could be in for some serious problems...

I don't know what they are rated for, but I've used them for fuel before.
      But you make a good point and I'll watch it closely for a while.
      Originally posted by ged View Post
      Had the same problem when I put bike back together, starter would not turn over, thought it was the solenoid and it was. I did not have it earthed. I had left an earth lead off one of the mounting screws. Hope this is the same problem with yours. good luck
      I changed the ground on it the other day as I didn't like the way I had it.
      I didn't test it afterwards, not realizing that was the problem.
      After I read your post, I hit the button it it started turning over.
      So I guess I fixed the problem without meaning to and may not have even known it if you hadn't posted.
      Thank you.

Comment

My handlebar risers came today. Ordered them Tuesday, arrived on Thursday.
        These are the 30mm, but maybe the 15mm would have been better.

Comment

Well I wasn't ready and the bike wasn't ready, but my brother was.
          So we tried starting it up today. He just had to hear it run. And we failed.
          Seemed like the coils weren't putting out enough fire to the points.
          I have four relays ordered to do various mods with, one being the coil relay mod.
          I'll see if the relay helps and I'll also go over the points and clean them if needed.
          Still a few more things I want to do before starting the bike for the first time.

Comment

I'm seriously thinking of cutting my frame.
            I don't know the differences in all the specific models.
            But one model has a shorter frame in the tail section.
            So I'm thinking of cutting the ends off, where the rear turn signals mount.
            Shortening it to whatever model's specifications and welding it back on.

I have several reasons for wanting to do this, main one being appearance.
            With the "L" fender and no tail, it looks hideous sticking out there.
            The second most important reason, I found a grab bar made for that model.
            And it was too cheap to pass up. Made me drop my plans for my homemade bar.

Maybe it was the "L" model that is shorter.
            There's holes in the rear fender right about where the bar mounts.
            So I guess that'll be the third most important reason, sturdy the rear fender.

Oh, I've installed eight relays since I last posted in this thread.
            coil relay mod, two headlight relays, horn relay, two for running lights,
            one aux power and one blank for future use.

I also bought a headlight fairing, new Shinko tires, new headlight assembly
            and a ton of little things that I can't think of right now.
            Also, I'm going to pick up a dual disc setup, later in the week.

Comment

Here's a picture of the fairing I bought.

I used the mounts from the Memphis Shades screen that came on my bike.

Comment

I know it seems as if I never finish any of these projects, but I just haven't updated this thread. I got the bike about 95% done and then decided to change some stuff, so it's back to about 85% done. Now, I'm thinking of going a different route. See here. I'll try to get some pictures taken before I start stripping parts again. If for no other reason than to change the one in my sig.

Comment

Working...
                X