• Show
Clear All

You are definitely not alone.

I had to grind mine away in 2 places.

Comment

That is a nice bike!!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        tyres aren't about which ones look nice.....you need to choose a tyre for your specific needs.
        do you want long wearing tyres with reasonable grippiness or super sticky tyres that only last for 3 trips round the block?
        obviously price is a considering factor as well.....
        I agree but that was kind of my point there are so many different ones to chose from I guess I'll just go to a distributor near me as he also sells to the public and take his advice, I just feel I'm walking in with sucker on my forehead

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
          I agree but that was kind of my point there are so many different ones to chose from I guess I'll just go to a distributor near me as he also sells to the public and take his advice, I just feel I'm walking in with sucker on my forehead
          tell him what you want from a tyre and see what he offers you. if you are not entirely happy with his options, try another dealer and get their opinions.

it also works as a great way to save money. get some prices from the first dealer and see if the next one will beat their price, and so on and so on. you can end up getting a great deal
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

At work we always use a grinder the way you do. Stop before you get through though then use a chisel. Obviously we use a pneumatic chisel, and that makes it pretty easy.

Comment

Originally posted by nuitdevotremort View Post
              Stop before you get through though
              Aye there's the rub!

Greetings
              Richard
              sigpic
              GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
              GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
              Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

You're trying to make a notch and weaken the spot, not cut through. Shouldn't have to get THAT close.

Comment

Day 253 Wheel Restoration Start

Started the restoration of the wheels today. I tried various techniques to discover exactly the best one for my wheels. The paint is in good condition and I may paint it with some satin black enamel paint in due course. But to start with I am trying to remove the oxidization and get some bling into the old wheels.

See: My GS1100G Restoration Blog - Wheel Restoration Start

This is what the wheels looked like to start with:

They are in a pretty bad way. I started off using 400 grit and got them to this state:

They are still pretty mottled and needed a lot more polishing. I tried all types of polish and ended up using Brasso on the back of a Scotchbrite pad. I ended up with this:

I also spent some time on the spokes with a Dremel and a wire brush attachment and went from this:

To this:

One side of one wheel takes about 3 hours. So 9 more hours on the wheels!

Greetings
                  Richard
                  sigpic
                  GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

Thats a radical improvement..... keep going!!

Comment

you need a pot of this mate............

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

The problem is I will never get one of these though:

Greetings
                        Richard
                        sigpic

Comment

If you really want to get a shine on those wheels, don't mess about with 400 grit - start with 80 grit, take off all the rough surfaces, then work down through the stages to say 800/1000, then use your favourite polish.

You could use a palm sander on the flat surfaces to save some arm-ache.

Also, the painted areas were originally a dark grey, rather than black, but that of course is your choice.
                          1980 GS550ET

Comment

Looking good, keep it up. You're putting a lot of time and effort into this bike, can't wait to see the end result.
                            Charles
                            --
                            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

steve - thanks for that. Yes I had heard that the colour was dark grey and even though they are 30 years old now, they still look dark grey. I will get some dark grey enamel paint and hand paint over it. Then when it's all polished up I will try a satin clear coat over the whole lot.

Greetings
                              Richard
                              sigpic

Comment

eil - thanks for the kind words. It is slow going as there is always so much else to do and to pay for! But we are getting there.

Greetings
                                Richard
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X