No announcement yet.

New GS1100 G Restoration Project. Rebuilding my Dad's bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheels are looking good! BTW, That kalecoauto site is some funny stuff.

Comment

Costs so Far

Someone started a thread about the cost of doing these rebuilds:

so I thought I ought to look at my costs so far:

So here are the costs so far. Didn't pay for the bike because it was my Dad's and he left it to me. Costs that I incurred before I started work on it last August would have included shipping from Canada and getting it moved between 3 houses until it arrived here (all this was over a 15 year period). Now that I have started the refurb, this is what I have spent so far:

So turn that into USD = $2,498.

And how does the bike look now:

I still have to:

Paint: £500
      Powder coat: £200
      Tyres: £150
      Parts: £350
      Chroming: £1,000

and so it goes on. Bike might be worth £2,000 (on a good day) when it is finished.

This is a bit like an AA or GA meeting:

My names Richard. I am a GS Aholic. I spent £300 this week on my addiction..

Greetings
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

You need to stay out of Halfords Richard!

I got caught today by my missus - she wanted me to service her car and the local guy with a beard was shut for the bank holiday. £18.99 for spark plugs! They're £8 at Arthur's......

By the way - their petrol resistant lacquer isn't.

Wait till it starts going back together - all shiny stuff and you'll know it's good ('cos you did it yourself). The money will seem like nothing.

And when the bugger won't start 'cos you got the coil leads round the wrong way........? Or you forgot that bikes need petrol...
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

i HATE Halfords. avoided at all costs
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
            i HATE Halfords. avoided at all costs
            You aren't married to my missus Adrian......I had no choice.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

That's very funny!

Can't wait to start re-assembly. I have nearly got the wheels sorted and am starting the fork rebuild so I will have a rolling chassis by the end of the summer. On the road 2014.

I have a spare "insurance" set of carbs and I am going to test out various finishes on the carb float bowls to decide what to do with my real set. I have discovered a really nice finish can be put on the lower fork legs by getting them to a mirror finish by polishing and then "scoring" them with a green Scotchbrite (only going in a horizontal plane) to create a beautiful satin effect. To me they look like new.

Greetings
              Richard
              sigpic
              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

check out the pound shops for consumables such as swarf, wd40, de-greaser.
                Also what are the cable wrap samples.... is that cloth loom tape?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                  check out the pound shops for consumables such as swarf, wd40, de-greaser.
                  Also what are the cable wrap samples.... is that cloth loom tape?
                  why would you want to buy swarf? its easy to make your own!
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

NEVER keep records of the spending!

When people ask me what I spent on my GS I usually say: Oh, i'm not sure, maybe 4-5 grand", and they say: "Oh, that's not too bad cos it really looks like new", and I think to myself: "Yeah, that's probably because I spent at least 7 grand!"

There is however NO way to prove it, te he he
                    GS850GT

Comment

Paul - The first time I went into a £ shop, I saw Kodak AA batteries on sale. A pack of six for a £. It was unbelievable. I bought 10 packs. Thought I had hit the jackpot as I use loads of them in wireless microphones. Ha. They lasted about 10 minutes a piece. They were clearly factory rejects or old stock or something. Same Kodak batteries for sale around the corner for £4.99. There is no such thing as a free lunch. I have never been back to one since. Suppose I should not be so cynical after just one visit?

That cable stuff was a pack of samples I got to test out on the wiring harness. It looks like this in situ:

I think it looks great and tons better than some insulating tape. It opens and closes so you can access all the wires at any time without destroying it.

Greetings
                      Richard
                      sigpic

Comment

Agemax - I hate that Swarfega. Really dries your hands out bad. My wife not only complains about how much I spend and why I am always in the garage but refuses to let me touch her unless I have put some hand cream on.

Let's have your recipe. I have nearly run out.

Greetings
                        Richard
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                          Agemax - I hate that Swarfega. Really dries your hands out bad. My wife not only complains about how much I spend and why I am always in the garage but refuses to let me touch her unless I have put some hand cream on.

Greetings
                          what recipe? who mentioned swarfega? Paul said he buys SWARF there

i buy tons of stuff in pound shops, our local one sells good quality(!) rags,polishing cloths, polish, small cans of wd40, acetone, solvol, wet + dry, + loads of other consumable stuff used in the garage.

always come out with a basket full. but hey, its only £1 each,(polishing cloths 5 for £1). if you use them once and then get used for oily wipey hands rags.......still a bargain
                          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Greetings
                            I dont think you want to his his swaf on your hands

Comment

Agemax - OK I got it. You engineers and your shavings.
                              Richard
                              sigpic

Comment

Agemax - OK I got it. You engineers and your shavings.
                                hey, we are good at shaving money
                                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                                X