No announcement yet.

GS1100G Road Runner Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was out riding mine yesterday and was considering how it's going to be on my trip to British Columbia. I used to leaning forward onto the bars. Mine are Super bike bend and are pretty straight as you say. I generally lean forward into the wind and the force of the wind lifts me slightly off the bars, relieving the weight from my wrists somewhat. I also think that leaning forward helps eliminate the buffeting effect and pressure of the on coming wind. The pegs are to far forward and high for long distance. I alternate between the front pegs and the passenger pegs and this makes it somewhat bearable. This is the approach I use on my 650 g, which is a shorter bike and I'm not so sure it will totally apply on this beast. I'm 5'10" and I suspect my arms are a bit on the short side. It's seems to be along way from my seat to the new bars I put on. I'm going to take off this morning are do a bit more research to see if I an come with a better technique.

You be sure to post up some pictures of Italy. I really enjoyed the Belgium trip which, indirectly introduced me to an entertaining movie. Your going to have to go through a lot of interesting places to get to Italy. It does sound like fun.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

CharlieG - thanks for your post. Yes I was having the same problem - having to stretch too far to the bars and getting upper arm ache. I too used to rest my feet on the rear pegs from time to time. I was snapped arriving at a rally like this:

Yeah, I'll do Italy photos of course. Thanks for your interest.

Greetings
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Getting Ready for My Trip

Lots of things to do to get the bike ready for this 2,500 mile trip.

See my GS1100G Road Runner Blog (big pics)

First off was a change of oil for the forks and the engine.

Odd amounts of oil were taken out:

After trying a 10W fork oil and discovering it was hopeless, I took the sage advice to add a mixture of 10W/40W oil and ATF.

Made sure the levels were exact:

Replaced the shocks on the rear with these air shocks from my other project:

Richard
        sigpic
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

The European Tour 2014

The Offical photos of the Assassins Eurotrash Tour 2014 - including getting my GS1100G over the Stevlio Pass and having the usual regulator/rectifier problems.

Click on the photo to get the whole album:

And the whole lot put together with some bad trick on the motorcycle - Don't do this at home.

Greetings
          Last edited by londonboards; 09-22-2014, 12:26 PM.
          Richard
          sigpic

Comment

Very nice photos! Thanks for posting. How did the changes in seating position work out? I'd like to see a close up of your wind screen. It's looks to be pretty minimal, which is what I would like. Did your R&R problems end the trip for you?

cg

P.s. I looked back through the photos and have a good idea of the wind screen now.
            Last edited by Charlie G; 09-22-2014, 07:19 PM.
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Here are some photos of the windscreen. It was a life saver for me especially looking behind at speed without getting your neck twisted off.

Greetings
              Richard
              sigpic

Comment

Cool, well done on the trip, I see you changed your pipes.
                sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Yes the old rusty ones were blowing quite a bit and I just wanted a bit less noise for the journey so I popped on one of the 4 sets of original pipes. They all have lose baffles but I could put up with the rattle.

I also put on a set of rearsets which vastly improved the riding position for long distances and allows some body weight to be taken on the legs.

Also put on handlebar weights which I accidentally discovered has a cruise control (throttle grip) in them. Saved a lot of wrist ache:

Greetings
                  Richard
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks, that windscreen looks pretty nice.

cg
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g

Comment

Working...
                    X