Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 Wes Cooley in the garage....finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 Wes Cooley in the garage....finally!

Well since the thread I started back in June has been "purged" I will start a new one as I have good news today.

This is from another forum where I wrote the same thing...with pics that the po sent me and I based my decision to buy...

So, I had decided that after my 83 had gone to the grave I would not try to simply replace it with another 83 1100e...I thought I would be harder to get it out of my head thinking it wouldn't be the same. So I decided I would not get another bike...it wasn't like I needed one...lol...

Then a couple of weeks ago...just like on here, I posted on a "German bike forum" that I was going to Vegas to "clear my head" from my recent loss.
    The guys on the forum were very supportive as of course I had posted many times and pics about my GS bikes...got a lot of love there for our old Suzukis.
    Anyway, one of the guys says to me..."sorry about your bike, I know it was special as your dad had painted it"....I have a 1980 gs1000s...I think it's a Wes Cooley....if you are interested..."?......I said.."I'm listening..." lol....We pm'd back and forth and now I'm going to have a Wes Cooley in my garage.

He explained that the bike was purchased years ago from an ex brother in law that had died suddenly of a brain aneurysm. And it's been sitting in his barn...yes barn ever since...he hadn't even put the bike in his name.
    It for sure is going to need some work...he thinks the mileage is correct..no reason to not. He said he started it up years ago and it ran great but the carbs were leaking. The damage on the left side is likely from a drop in the driveway.
    So I'm taking a bit of a leap of faith buying something not seen in the flesh....but hey..it's a Cooley...

No signature

Congrats! Looks very good and correct. Even has a Telefix fork brace on it. That level of paint damage can be touched up so it is barely noticeable and the original paint is preserved. Does it have the 2 position on/off switch (turns off the clock) tucked in behind the right side of the gauges and does the clock work?

Comment

Hey this is a cooley!! Nice job, you are a lucky one.
      Could you if possible take some more pictures about the mirrors because i am going to try making new ones... thanks boris

Comment

Originally posted by Ray916MN View Post
        Congrats! Looks very good and correct. Even has a Telefix fork brace on it. That level of paint damage can be touched up so it is barely noticeable and the original paint is preserved. Does it have the 2 position on/off switch (turns off the clock) tucked in behind the right side of the gauges and does the clock work?
        i will be putting a battery in it tomorrow. Yes the paint...it for sure can be fixed and like you say preserved. I will investigate the clock tomorrow.

Originally posted by boris.h View Post
        Hey this is a cooley!! Nice job, you are a lucky one.
        Could you if possible take some more pictures about the mirrors because i am going to try making new ones... thanks boris
        Yes my internet seems to have crapped out on my lap top but be patient I have more to post.
        cheers
        No signature

Comment

Congratulations Trevor. Nice to see you got the bike.
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Good looking bike Love the blue paint scheme.
            gs1100gk 1985 (x 2)
            gs850g 1980
            Previously owned
            gs1100gk 1984(just sold).
            gs850g x 2 '79, '80, gs1100gk x 2 '84, '85, gs1000 '78, gs1100g '82, gr650 '82, Buell x 2 '99 & '09, Harley xlch '65, Yam vmax '95, FJ1100 '82, Honda 500/4 '74, Kwaka z250 '80...

Comment

Great news Trevor and congrats!

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Cool(ey). Glad its finally in your garage.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Congratulations! This bike will clean up awesome! It's unlikely that you will ever learn what the true mileage is, considering the speedometer/odometer have been swapped and the PO has passed on. But who cares it's an '80 Cooley!!

Comment

Congratulations on the new arrival Trevor, looking forward to seeing it in person one of these days.

Did you go to the border and clear the bike yourself or did you use a broker?

BTW if you need anything, I know a little about them.

Cheers,

David
                    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                      Congratulations! This bike will clean up awesome! It's unlikely that you will ever learn what the true mileage is, considering the speedometer/odometer have been swapped and the PO has passed on. But who cares it's an '80 Cooley!!
                      Thanks everyone!
                      Vmass..can you tell me why again why it's not the original speedo? Thanks buddy...

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                      Congratulations on the new arrival Trevor, looking forward to seeing it in person one of these days.

Did you go to the border and clear the bike yourself or did you use a broker?

BTW if you need anything, I know a little about them.

Cheers,

David
                      Oh don't worry buddy, you will see it in person as I plane to ride the wheels off this bike!
                      Yes I had Bosch Brokerage do all the paper work...I just went to the border and showed the original paper work...Title and bill of sale and gave them the ITN number that Bosch provided for me. Cost me $125us for that.
                      No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                        Thanks everyone!
                        Vmass..can you tell me why again why it's not the original speedo? Thanks buddy...
                        Sure, the 1979 model had the 140 mph speedo and the 1980 had the 80 mph.

Post up what you need for parts, I may have a few cooley bits laying around.

Comment

The guy said he remembered me saying two years ago when I joined the BMW forum and was showing pics of my gs bikes...he told me he had a cooley...I said..apparently..."if you ever wanna sell let me know...."....And he also said he wanted me to have it because he felt I would "fix it up, ride the sh*t out of it and not flip it" I promised him I won't do that. Not that I'm very good at selling bikes anyway...lol

So why did it take so long?
                          The po had never put the title in his name in all those years, it just sat in his barn waiting for him to get the inspiration to fix it up.
                          So he sent away for the title and 6 weeks later it came back denied as it was not in his deceased brother in law's name but someone else's...he wanted me to take my money back while he figured it out...of course I said no, I'm good.thanks. So he tried contacting the family to find out who this person was...and tried again..came back denied a second time 6 weeks later...then he had to take it to the Sherriff...twice to have the vin inspected...then sent away again and low and behold 5 months later the title was in his name...lol

So had it shipped to this place to hold it for a week until I could get there to get it....cool name eh? lol
                          My good buddy Rob came with me on the 7am ferry and we got there around 10:30...this place is one minute across the border...I had a brokerage company do all the paper work the week before so it was pretty quick to clear customs....

After 5 months of waiting, this was my first look at the bike...

And I remembered to wear the appropriate shirt for the occasion....

Holy crap...I have a Cooley in my truck!!! Lol

At the border...

At the ferry....

It's going to need a good cleaning...I'm getting at that this morning then Rob is coming over and we are going to see if we can get her started....

And it's in my garage.....

No signature

Comment

Looks very good. Hope all is well inside too.
                            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Nice, Trevor... and congrats man. Subscribed!
                              '80 GS1000ST
                              '92 ZX-11
                              Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X