Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 Wes Cooley in the garage....finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes on the fuel Tee and Crossover tubes. Get them from Z1 at about the same price but faster to get to you. I buy them from Z1 everytime i come across those schlitzzztzy plastic crap ones. The oring kits from Robert Barr will have the new orings for the metal ones so unless you mysteriously snap a metal one off you will never be replacing them again.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Sorry Chuck Z1 doesn't list them for the 80 Cooley,would be worth a call though.

Comment

Same as the 78 1000 nipples if i recall correctly.

Hey Trevor, measure your tee and crossovers from shoulder to shoulder and let me know the numbers. I will measure up the skunk and let you know what they are so youll have some numbers.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Look at how beautiful that thing is....... Well, until you ripped it apart! What are your plans for the bike, are you doing a restoration or just maintenance and cleaning?

Comment

Damn, on first view I was thinking they were the "after" photos! Stunning.
            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
              Look at how beautiful that thing is....... Well, until you ripped it apart! What are your plans for the bike, are you doing a restoration or just maintenance and cleaning?
              Well the plan...
              List of things I will be doing..

carbs are with Mark in his ultra sonic cleaner
              I bought parts that I thought I would need for sure for the bike months ago...Avon Tires, Sonic fork springs, Robert Barr o-ring kit, inner and outer carb boots, oil pan gasket, valve gasket, clutch cable, exhaust gaskets, etc...
              I still need brake and clutch levers, wheel bearings, probably should change the swing arm bushings, float bowl gaskets..

I will clean everything on the bike while it's apart. Including going through the wiring and cleaning and greasing connectors. The battery sitting in the bike all those years caused some rust and corrosion in the battery box and swing arm, so I will clean that up and paint them.
              Oh and I need to get braided lines for the oil cooler too.
              It's all only money right??
              This bike is already in nice shape so I don't think it will take much for it to be a very nice example of a 1000s...
              The bike will be a keeper and I plan for it to be the one that will get the loin's share of riding come spring.
              Last edited by trevor; 10-15-2016, 12:24 PM.
              No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                ...the loin's share of riding come spring.
                Nice slip up there Trevor, LOL!
                -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post

Hey Trevor, measure your tee and crossovers from shoulder to shoulder and let me know the numbers. I will measure up the skunk and let you know what they are so youll have some numbers.
                  The 80 S and E came with BS CV carbs not the VM's the 78 and 9 had.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post

Sorry Chuck the 80 1000's had BS series CV carbs not the VM's of the earlier models.

Comment

I know that!!! BUT the fuel tubes are the same size and length is what I meant. There are a few carbs ( BS) that have closer intake port spacing ..depending on the bikes CCs..but the 1000s should be the same. Least this is how I remember things. Thats why i asked Trevor for some shoulder to shoulder measurements and I can see what the VMs for the 1000s are spaced at. This will give him some more options when looking for replacements.

Comment

Here are examples of the 79 VM tubes with dimensions. If these measure the same as what Trevor has he has options when ordering.

Comment

Hi chuck,
                          2"
                          thanks buddy
                          No signature

Comment

Had an interesting find on the Cooley while cleaning the underside of the seat today. Found a piece of tape with the following written on it..

3/25/81 speedometer
                            current mileage

So it looks the first owner swapped it out for a new one in 81....so with the 18,000 miles in the one now it looks like my bike sits at a little over 20,000 miles....So cool that the guy put this under the seat 35 years ago..

Got lots of work done this weekend...new tires mounted along with new wheel bearings...all cleaned up...

Picked up some classic Grab On Grips to match the decal on the gas cap....lol

Exhaust sandblasted and ready for paint...

Cleaned up the frame and engine..forks off for new springs..

Last edited by trevor; 10-17-2016, 01:23 AM.
                            No signature

Comment

brand new! could you take some pictures of the mirrors on the cooley fairing? thanks

Comment

Nice bike Trevor.
                                Rob
                                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                                X