Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 Wes Cooley in the garage....finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats - strange greenish tint to everything though

Wait a minute - something affecting my vision !!!
    78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
    82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
    83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
    2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
    Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

That's a sexy bike!

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
        Sure, the 1979 model had the 140 mph speedo and the 1980 had the 80 mph.

Post up what you need for parts, I may have a few cooley bits laying around.
        It could be just a US thing, but it wouldn't be unusual for a few bin parts leftover from the 1979 production run to be used up in the early releases of the next model year, though...I've seen that on a few of the smaller displacement models.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
          It could be just a US thing, but it wouldn't be unusual for a few bin parts leftover from the 1979 production run to be used up in the early releases of the next model year, though...I've seen that on a few of the smaller displacement models.
          Good point D it's manufacture date is 12/79
          No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
            Good point D it's manufacture date is 12/79
            The mandate for the 85 mph speedometers was 9/79. I think it was fairly common to swap the 85's for the 140's.

Comment

The mandate for the 85 mph speedometers was 9/79. I think it was fairly common to swap the 85's for the 140's.
              I love the history of these bikes. Didn't know the exact date of the mandate. Thanks.
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism

Other than the speedo it looks like the seat was shaved down in the front and the turn signals were changed. No worry unless you want to try to put it back to stock.
                I thought the '80 version had the rectangular turn signals as opposed to the round one on the '79?

Comment

We took the fairing off and Rob, Mark and I all think there is no way the gauges have been swapped out. Nothing looks like it has ever been disturbed from the factory...I will post pics we took. As for the signals...yes they should be the round chrome ones...Europe though had the rectangular ones in 80...the seat has been shaved indeed but done well...my thought on this is that the first owner likely made these changes early after purchase like so many did...Kerker, Derale cooler...etc

Gave it a quick wash before we started taking it apart...cleaned up real well...

Once we had it ready to start...it fired up in ten seconds!

Gas tank has rust in it so we put 20 litres on apple cider vinegar it for a few days...should take care of it...

All the electrics work...including the clock...

Gauges look original...

Cold compression looks good....

No signature

Comment

Carbs have some issues....lol

I think I can wash that filter and it will be good to go...

Squirrel!!!

Rob is very talented...did all this with just two tools...

Done for the evening....thanks so much to my buddy Rob...I have a lot of parts already here but now I need rear shocks, wheel bearings, 530 chain and sprocket conversion, float bowl gaskets, brake and clutch levers, grips and I am going to sent the mirrors to a "guy" to restore them. I have Sonic fork springs ready to go as well...
                    This bike has great bones..no rust what's so ever....very well looked after...

No signature

Comment

Trevor, Looking good, they sure do come apart fast, good to see that you have good help too.

I'm pretty sure the speedo was changed but probably done at the dealer before it rolled out of the shop. (the SN speedo would drop right in)

We have seen only one or two 1980 ST US bikes with the 140MPH speedo's so a few were done for sure.

My Boise Beauty has the 85MPH Speedo and the Canadian Cooley is built for Canadian market so has the 240KM/hr speedo.

While you have it part check the swing arm bushes, both mine were bad on the left side and needed replacement. (bike on side stand and moisture/water runs left)

Look forward to following your refurbish/rebuild, always nice to see another Cooley getting the love.

David.
                      2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                      2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                      1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                      2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                      1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                      1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                      1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                      Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Congrats Trevor

I've watched Rob field strip a GS 1000 in an hour or so

If you want to keep those S&W shocks, try this

1. Strip and clean
                        2. Drill a 4 mm hole on the side, just above the bottom
                        3. Pump the old oil out
                        4. Inject some Seafoam Transmission treatment into the hole, leave the shock body upside down for a day or so.
                        5. Tap the hole for a button head Allen bolt
                        6. Remove the Seafoam, rinse with some fork oil. Inject a few ounces of fork oil, plug the hole and reassemble/paint/etc

Worked on my GPz

But, knowing you, there will be some Ohlins on there soon
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                          Congrats Trevor

I've watched Rob field strip a GS 1000 in an hour or so

If you want to keep those S&W shocks, try this

1. Strip and clean
                          2. Drill a 4 mm hole on the side, just above the bottom
                          3. Pump the old oil out
                          4. Inject some Seafoam Transmission treatment into the hole, leave the shock body upside down for a day or so.
                          5. Tap the hole for a button head Allen bolt
                          6. Remove the Seafoam, rinse with some fork oil. Inject a few ounces of fork oil, plug the hole and reassemble/paint/etc

Worked on my GPz

But, knowing you, there will be some Ohlins on there soon
                          How the heck did you know those were SW shocks??? lol And are they good enough in the first place to rebuild them?
                          Cheers
                          No signature

Comment

Trevor, you forget how old I am.
                            Besides, I have a pair that came with my GPz
                            They were only an average grade shock BITD, which is why they weren't rebuildable
                            But, they're a cool vintage item
                            If you don't want them, I could use some nicer yellow bits
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                              How the heck did you know those were SW shocks??? lol And are they good enough in the first place to rebuild them?
                              Cheers
                              Too funny. I spotted them right away too. Had a set on my '77 750 Yamaha, couldn't afford the Koni's. Sometimes us old guys just surprise you with stuff don't we? LOL. If there are paint stripes still on the springs they'll tell you the spring rates are. That's if you can find a chart. Anyway, congratulations on getting it home. It's going to be a great project.
                              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Yes very cool Trevor.Was going to offer blasting services but doesn't sound like you will need any.I would replace those carb fittings with aluminum ones like these http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Suzuki-Carb-F...YAAOSwZ8ZXBsVD .That's odd no outer crossover listed,I would contact him to see if he had those to.Have them on my 1000,they are nice!

Comment

Working...
                                X