My Gs850 project bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A528A4E2-AC3F-4B4C-909F-20AE76329698.jpg

Fuse box... needs to be cleaned of corrosion. It’s my first really old vehicle so I’m not familiar with the fuse types. I’m gonna take a closer look and I’m sure I’ll be able to tell if a few are blown.

Comment

CA730B3A-617F-4F33-819A-B627D4B56CE5.jpg

Big bunch of wires behind the headlight. Is this normal?

Comment

28DD8F80-2FF2-4A15-A4DB-1E02850C0B82.jpg

Some wire. One definitely looks burnt

Comment

ED0E5B68-81A5-4A33-8C8E-495905A12D3C.jpg

More wires

Comment

729600F9-79AA-47FA-9F94-78CD041253A5.jpg

Fuse box area

Comment

0C7FD461-C7CE-40CC-8F2F-A2772643567F.jpg

Connector that doesn’t look very good. Looks like wires are missing

Comment

If you sign up to an online photo sharing site like imgur to host photos, you can link up to 10 pics in one post. Just copy the BBCode from the image and paste it in your post. You can post pictures in various sizes, and they show up in the post without having to click to enlarge them.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

All those look rather "normal".

For the breather vent hose, OEM is best, as it's thin-wall and nicely flexible. It's 11mm (inside diameter), which is pretty close to 7/16". If you go to the auto parts store to get some, it will be thick-walled and reinforced heater hose, which is really hard to install. If you purchase OEM hose, it looks rather expensive, until you realize that you get about six feet of it in the package. Unless you have multiple bikes or have a shop and work on others, you're going to have about five feet of hose left over.

If you PM your address to me, I will send you a piece of OEM hose.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The tube style fuses can break under the cap where you can't see them. I would test each out with at least a test light but definitely keep a few on hand. Some of us have replaced them with the more readily available blade style fuse blocks and fuses. Several options are out there one of which is made by Eastern Beaver.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I've been looking at BikeCliff's website, on his article how he uses Evaporust to get rust out of his tank.

I noticed that he removed the fuel gauge sending unit/gas gap and covers the holes with pipe plugs from a hardware store, is this because the evaporust will ruin the units gasket? should I just leave the sending unit/gas cap on the tank and replace the gasket after or should I buy the pipe plugs and do it that way?

Comment

Connector cracked in half when trying to clean it.

Untitled by David Torres, on Flickr

Three of the wires go up to the right handlebar

Bottom wire in the picture below

Other half of male connector (2 wires)

Comment

Glad I kept these, I was told that they did not fit.

This fuse side cover doesn't mount up correctly, but with some zip ties it fits snug. (if you have the model it goes to and need one, I'll trade for the proper one for my bike)

Last edited by BlackThunder; 05-12-2020, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Any idea on where I can find some connections that will work? I tried bikebandit.com and they had to cancel that part from my order because they weren’t able to get it. 2wheelpros.com is out of stock also.

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                            for $33, buy it now. For the connections, I think Triumph still has the best deal and you don't have to put the wires into the terminals, it's already done. just cut the plugs off the ends you don't need, keep the wires and plugs that go into the SH775. Something like this. http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/...SABEgIaGPD_BwE

Comment

Originally posted by BlackThunder View Post
                              Any idea on where I can find some connections that will work? I tried bikebandit.com and they had to cancel that part from my order because they weren’t able to get it. 2wheelpros.com is out of stock also.
                              Ten second google on the part number, and keep your fingers crossed it's in stock.
                              Genuine Triumph Part # T2500676 - Link Lead, Regulator. 456777 > 468703. Fits Street Triple. Ships from Engle Motors, Kansas City MO
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

vintageconnections.com for all your electrical connections I believe.
                                Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                                '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                                '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                                '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                                '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X