Rear Caliper parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Caliper parts

My rear caliper pistons were not moving as they should, one would move out but not go back in, the other piston would stay out but not hit the rotor much. I removed the caliper to clean and rebuild whatever is necessary but it seems the PO may have ditched a couple of parts.

Here' s one half of the rear brake caliper and the parts fiche:
    (1) Will someone please confirm that the inner rubber seal I see in the pic below is #3 on the fiche?
    (2) The PO must have determined that the piston boots (#4) and the caliper shims (#14) were optional, I don't have them. Are #4 and #14 something worth replacing?

yes, 3 is the piston seals and you will need the boots and the pad shims.
    make sure that caliper is spotless when you clean it, especially the groove that the piston seal seats in.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thank you sir.

Comment

And if youll notice, theres an arrow stamped out of the pad shims. This arrow points to the front of the bike.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I believe the arrow points in the direction of disc rotation.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If the pistons are usable I would replace everything you see in that fiche. I would also go as far as tearing down the master cylinder and replacing the line while you have it apart. Its a little more work and not that expensive, well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
              If the pistons are usable I would replace everything you see in that fiche. I would also go as far as tearing down the master cylinder and replacing the line while you have it apart. Its a little more work and not that expensive, well worth it.
              Yeah, I think I will bite the bullet and get new braided lines and rework the whole thing from beginning to end. Never done it before, so consider this post fair warning. This was supposed to be a quick and simple 530 chain/sprocket project, but one thing led to another, and then another....

I'm guessing that moving the caliper and line while removing the rear wheel was just enough to dislodge or move some crap in the line which somehow made the system start misbehaving. It's time though, the lines are cracked and there's sludge throughout.

Ed and Chuck - I'll remember to look for the arrow.

Comment

How do the pistons look? If there is any pitting on the pistons, get the piston kit. (#1 on the fiche.) It will include new pistons, oil seals, dust boots, and the seal in between the calipers (#5). If you don't need the pistons, at least get all new rubber parts.

When you rebuild the MC, make sure that teeny tiny return hole in the MC is not clogged. (Mine had all kinds of gunk in it.)
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                  How do the pistons look? If there is any pitting on the pistons, get the piston kit. (#1 on the fiche.) It will include new pistons, oil seals, dust boots, and the seal in between the calipers (#5). If you don't need the pistons, at least get all new rubber parts.

When you rebuild the MC, make sure that teeny tiny return hole in the MC is not clogged. (Mine had all kinds of gunk in it.)
                  Thanks for the tip on what's exactly in #1, my pistons are pitted and scarred, so I need #1 and #14.

Comment

If they look anything like this, they are goosed (thank you Tatu):

Get some new ones:

You can get them here:

Ebay Shop Sirius

I found this Canadian parts company quick and cheaper than my supplier in the UK.

Greetings
                    Richard
                    sigpic
                    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

You might want to consider Stainless steel pistons and never ever worry about pitting again. You can get them here.
                      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Working...
                      X