Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any GS1100G owners out there with fork braces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any GS1100G owners out there with fork braces?

I am looking for a close up picture of a fork brace installed on an 1100G. I was hoping that the brace on my 1100E would fit my G but it doesn't clear the fender. I'd prefer not to lower the fender, if possible.
    Thanks,
    Willie
    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
    '82 GS1100G Resto project

I'm a bit of a GS1100G nut (having 2 of them).

Why do you need a fork brace? What will it do for you? These shaft drive beasts are for touring and I've just taken mine up here:

Standard bike handled perfectly. Check front forks and add more than the specified amount of fork oil to bring them under control.

Greetings
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Wow! NICE road and great picture! To answer your question re: my objective. I'm trying to improve the performance of the front forks. I've ridden alot of twisties with it, although none as twisty as the road in your picture, and have been very happy with it. However, riding my E shows me how the G could handle. Both bikes have the same tires but the E has a brace, emulators and Progressive Suspension springs. I've got a new pr of PS springs for my G and have gotten the necessary adapter made to install emulators. The only thing I'm lacking is the brace.
      I appreciate your comments and advice. The picture is icing on the cake
      Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

I'm about 99.9% certain that the center-to-center distance between the fork legs is different between the 1100E and 1100G forks, so the fork brace does not transplant.

I don't even really remember exactly why I measured these a while back, but I do remember they were different.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I just measured that distance this morning. Its close enough that the slots in the mounting holes allow for any difference, which appears to be very minimal. The problem I found was that the cross brace is mounted too low. The fender prevents it from making contact with the clamp on the fork leg.

FWIW, I've been talking with my machinist cousin about fabricating a clamp for my G. If this project reaches fruition, I believe he'll make a dozen or so and make them available for, hopefully, a lot less than what is currently available on the market. I'm hoping that fellow G owners might be interested if the price is right.

Willie
          Last edited by willie; 10-30-2014, 02:21 PM.

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post

FWIW, I've been talking with my machinist cousin about fabricating a clamp for my G. If this project reaches fruition, I believe he'll make a dozen or so and make them available for, hopefully, a lot less than what is currently available on the market. I'm hoping that fellow G owners might be interested if the price is right.

Willie
            If they fit the 1000G i'll be interested.

Comment

I had a micron fork brace fitted to my 1000G but when I fitted a chrome mudguard it woudn't clear it.
              It fitted OK with a fibreglass mudguard though

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                Why do you need a fork brace? What will it do for you?

All of these 80's UJM benefit from a brace to keep the forks in line better and stiffen things up a bit. If you're happy with your bike, that is fine but they certainly offer nothing like perfection in suspension or handling and a brace is just one component that improves performance noticeably.

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I for one don't attribute any great improvement in handling to fork braces, but all the same I'd like to get one for my G's. I figure it can't hurt. I've upgraded the springs and the 1100 g does nicely. I might upgrade the rear shock or get these leaky ones fixed. "Fast from the Past" sells braces for these bikes. I had one one my GS450e http://www.fastfromthepast.com/PDF/f...dimensions.pdf

cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

...if you needed to see another pic...
                    This is my '82 1100G with a board sitting on the dust caps.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Joe. Your picture clearly shows how little space is available above the fender.
                      Also, FWIW, I looked up the appropriate brace for the 110G on the Fast from the Past site. It lists a brace for the 1100 G/K.
                      I believe they mean the GK model vs G and the GK model. If that's the case, they don't have brace for the G model.
                      Anyone else want to comment on this thought?
                      Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

The 1000g one from Tarozzi is identical to 1000E except the centre plate is lifted up a bit to clear the fender...
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks Joe. Your picture clearly shows how little space is available above the fender.
                          Also, FWIW, I looked up the appropriate brace for the 110G on the Fast from the Past site. It lists a brace for the 1100 G/K.
                          I believe they mean the GK model vs G and the GK model. If that's the case, they don't have brace for the G model.
                          Anyone else want to comment on this thought?
                          Willie
                          Fast from the Past's fitment chart is full of typos and (read pain in the arse) misleading information. You need to measure the various dimensions and confirm what fits. I believe the GK has 41mm fork tubes and that the G has smaller ones. I bet if you confirm the dimensions that #24-0032 will fit. I'd give them a call (after measuring) to confirm before ordering.

cg
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g
                          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                            All of these 80's UJM benefit from a brace to keep the forks in line better and stiffen things up a bit. If you're happy with your bike, that is fine but they certainly offer nothing like perfection in suspension or handling and a brace is just one component that improves performance noticeably.
                            Mark
                            Ditto. Every time I've fitted a brace, things have taken a turn for the better. A perfectly set up front might or might not need it, but the extra stiffness keeps the performance in the envelope, especially when miles take a toll.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I am looking for a close up picture of a fork brace installed on an 1100G. I was hoping that the brace on my 1100E would fit my G but it doesn't clear the fender. I'd prefer not to lower the fender, if possible.
                              Thanks,
                              Willie
                              Just found these - and I don't suppose there aren't any on ebay.com
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X