Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for any GS shaft drive indepth experience

82 GS1100GK 80K miles

Has been having gear noise increasing over last couple years.
    Myself, lacking in musical ability, I can not describe if a function of engine rpm or if road mph.
    BUt I do know that when change front gear box lube it does quite down the whine some for a while. And the drain lube does have some golden-shiny flecks in it.

Now in recent weeks I have been noticing something of a small shutter sometime when let off the throttle. Happens more at higher rpm. Just a short little shutter, somewhat like ran over a mini-rumble strip, but not comming from the tires.
    I can imagine some worn gears somewhere that have some lash that has to be taken up the other way from power on to power off decelerating .... and I can also imagine someday that something is going to go >>ka grunch<< and I'll be coasting to side of the road, with I-dont-know-all-what busted up.

Anybody have similar expereince....?

What replacement parts should I be looking for...?
    Or is such a failure gonna blow apart the entire gear box / engine case...?

Last edited by Redman; 08-09-2017, 04:30 AM. Reason: delete vidio

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

I'm working real hard to avoid any in depth experience on the suzuki shafty drivetrain. The 650 layout is different from the others, but they both have a dog clutch/ spring to absorb drivetrain shock, as in mismatch of engine speed to wheel speed. At 55 Kmiles, I've noticed that if I let out clutch in 1st abit quick, I can feel/hear this shock mechanism in action - otherwise it's not noticeable.
    If this mechanism wears too much, the secondary bevel drive gears take a beating , maybe those flecks that you find are from the gears themselves. Hopefully, they wear to the point where the noise drives you crazy, before anything else.
    Since new parts are unavailable, your choices are limited....
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I hope you can coast to a stop safely if something happens. On my 1981 GS650L I don't believe that the spring mechanism will wear to much, it is pretty robust. I did how ever break the collar on the gear right at the spring and that took me a while to find the broken collar on the gear. Releasing the spring tension using a tailstock on a lathe allowed me to find the break. There was no noise before it broke and the bike would go through all the gears while on the center stand, but would not budge an inch on 2 wheels. Had me stumped for a bit.
      1981 GS 1000GLX.
      1981 GS 1000G.
      1981 GS 650GLX.
      1975 TS 185.
      1972 100. Kawasaki.
      1968 100. Suzuki.
      1970 Z 50. Honda.
      1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
      1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Try HERE From ArchiveBy GSShopper 1000

likely other good things too. I read quite a few things when I had to get in there for secondary drive repair ("zooks syndrome")

Added: Speculating on the sunny-side....if things are going wrong it may show up easily by checking tooth contact. This is a way you might diagnose easily without a complete teardowns-I'm thinking contact will be changing if things are coming loose in bearings etc...Or It might be just wanting a removal of or a thinner shim normal wear? (but metal flakes are never a good thing
        Last edited by Gorminrider; 08-10-2017, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Dave, why don't you PM Steve and Brian W directly with your question?
          I haven't put enough mileage on mine to have problems yet.
          Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 08-10-2017, 12:21 PM.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Here and in person, I've seen two failure modes:

1) The output flange breaks off

2) The bearing at the rear of the secondary drive fails -- basically, the bearing supporting the output flange.

Quite often, these also lead to gear oil leaking into the swingarm boot.

You can diagnose either one by peeling back the rubber boot at the front of the swingarm and wiggling stuff with a large screwdriver. If you can get the output flange to move around at all (other than rotating normally, of course), it has failed.

And yes, it is possible to remove the secondary gearset with the engine still in the frame.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Photobucket shenanigans ruined the image links... I'll try to repost them elsewhere.

My secondary drive gear broke twice already... more details in this post. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ime-in-2-years

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  have a dog clutch/ spring to absorb drivetrain shock, as in mismatch of engine speed to wheel speed......
                  Thanks.
                  Am not finding such in info I have on GS1100G (&GK).
                  ALthough I do know that the 650s have some things unique to the 650s....

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by habsdoc View Post
                    I hope you can coast to a stop safely if something happens. .......
                    I have been pondering that myself.....

Need to look into "color on the gear".... not understanding at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      Here and in person, I've seen two failure modes:

1) The output flange breaks off

2) The bearing at the rear of the secondary drive fails -- basically, the bearing supporting the output flange.

Quite often, these also lead to gear oil leaking into the swingarm boot.

You can diagnose either one by peeling back the rubber boot at the front of the swingarm and wiggling stuff with a large screwdriver. If you can get the output flange to move around at all (other than rotating normally, of course), it has failed.

And yes, it is possible to remove the secondary gearset with the engine still in the frame.

Thanks Brian,

Thanks for sharing your expereince and knowlodge. I an trying to study your comments here in great detail.
                      But, I am comming to the conclusion that I will first need to learn some more about all this.
                      Such as first learn what all is in there, and what those parts are called.
                      And what is in where, and what is accessable by doing what. And what comes apart where. (THese exploded views are not good for that....)

Am starting by looking here

Hum.... that section and the section on transmission of my Clymers manual is clean. Most all other sections have greasy smudges ..... some significance there.
                      I have always said "I never want to see transmission gears".

At the moment, I begine with learning "Primary", verses "secondary" verses "final".... I had always thought of only "front" and "rear".... so that tells you of where I am on the learning curve.

Other thing: The clymer manual says about "many special tools and considerable expertise". (Maybe I should not have read that.)

I shall investigate this all more.
                      Last edited by Redman; 08-12-2017, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gordinho80 View Post

Thanks.
                        Am comparing the photos to what I am learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                          Try HERE From ArchiveBy GSShopper 1000

likely other good things too. I read quite a few things when I had to get in there for secondary drive repair ("zooks syndrome")

Added: Speculating on the sunny-side....if things are going wrong it may show up easily by checking tooth contact. This is a way you might diagnose easily without a complete teardowns-I'm thinking contact will be changing if things are coming loose in bearings etc...Or It might be just wanting a removal of or a thinner shim normal wear? (but metal flakes are never a good thing
                          Thanks.

Good material to help in my learning.

Is that what I looked at, but had the photobucket problem... and then was comments about updating that... but not seeing those comments now....

Comment

Yes, the 650 layout is different. But here's a ebay link showing a 850 trans layout - my guess is your 1100 is similar. If it's not in the bevel output to prop shaft ,suspect the dog/spring gizmo getting tired

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

What do you see when you peel back the boot on the swingarm and look and wiggle things?

The problems that have been seen are with the output side, which is everything on the top half of the "Secondary Bevel Gear Assembly" diagram. This is all one assembly held together by the nut #17 on the shaft, the top half of #1.

One of the problems I was talking about was the large bearing at the end, #12 in that diagram. If this bearing gets damaged or fails, it will also take out the seal.

I think the more common issue, or the root of the issue that will also damage the bearing and other parts, is when the threaded part of the shaft (two shafts are marked #1; I'm talking about the top one) breaks off. The output flange (#15) is still engaged with the splines and can't really go anywhere, and the nut is trapped between the output flange and the driveshaft flange. But without the nut keeping tension and holding everything together, it makes noise and clunks and will soon destroy itself. That shudder on decel is the bit that concerns me -- it's one of the symptoms of this issue.

Diagnosis is easy. Peel back the swingarm boot and look and poke and wiggle things. Wiggle the output flange around with a screwdriver or small prybar. Any motion other than normal smooth rotation means it's stuffed, knackered, cabbaged.

You can replace the output side of these gears as a unit with the engine in the frame -- remove the swingarm, and it's held in with four bolts. You may need to loosen the engine mounting bolts a squidge to create a little clearance. It also may help to loosen the nearby case bolts a little. A little symmetrical prying and it'll slide out.

What to replace it with is another matter -- it's hard to find just this unit on the ol' FleaBay by itself, but a little part number research may be needed to wident the pool of compatible donors. I know, for example, that the output flange and driveshafts are verrrrrrry slightly different but incompatible on the early GS850 (79-81) vs the later (82+) models. Guess how I learned this... But anyway, I've pulled this assembly out of an '83 engine and transplanted it into an '82 with no issues.

Other than the potential for the threaded part to break, this is an enormously robust mechanism and the gears are ridiculously oversized. They should never really develop detectable wear or need reshimming.

Not sure about the 1100G/GK/GL models and what interchanges, but a few minutes rummaging through the parts fiches should make it clear.
                              Last edited by bwringer; 08-13-2017, 12:08 AM.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                              X