No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody have experience with K&L petcocks? I got one from Z1 for my GS750 and didn't really do as much `research' as I should have. The fuel line connection exits from the wrong side (toward the back of the bike) and also the bolts aren't surrounded by gasket like in the stock one so it leaks through the bolt holes.
    Don't think I can return it because I already installed it and had gas going through.

1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Also, I put in fresh boots on the GS750 airbox - Man what a difference!

1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
      1977 GS550

Comment

You might try adding rubber-backed washers to the bolts???? They sell them at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. I've never tried them but it may be a cheap solution. If not, you will only be out a couple of bucks.
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
        1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Where did you buy the boots for the airbox? I'm gonna need those real soon on my GS750 rebuild.
          Ron
          When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
          1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
          1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
          1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
          1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
            You might try adding rubber-backed washers to the bolts???? They sell them at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. I've never tried them but it may be a cheap solution. If not, you will only be out a couple of bucks.
            Thanks for the tip - hadn't thought of that. I was going to whip out the gasket paper and exacto tonight but that is a much better solution... Thanks!

The boots are from Z1 Enterprises and were just over $50 which I thought was quite reasonable. Tons of GS stuff there easy to get carried away...
            1977 GS550

Comment

Was changing out the oil of the secondary drive unit on a 'new to me' GS850G. A LOT of water came out and then some oil... That was quite a surprise. A bit of research here shows that this is not an uncommon problem. But it freaked me out at first! Primary drive unit and engine oil all seemed to be OK though.

IMG_1846.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
                The boots are from Z1 Enterprises and were just over $50 which I thought was quite reasonable. Tons of GS stuff there easy to get carried away...
                one the best purchases I made was new boots, trying to work with the 32 yr old petrified boots was a nightmare...
                1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

I put a new rubber boot thingy over my clutch adjustment at the lever...
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Drained the carbs...fuel in carb #1 had lots of redish brown sediment, 2, 3 and 4 were clean, hmmmm...
                    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Well, didn't "wrench" on it but this was my project today.

The old and busted late 60's or early 70's vintage door had to go.

Out with the old.

In with the new fiberglass unit.

Oak frame and trim but these fiberglass doors withstand the southwest weather much better than wood. Since it faces South the finish will fade in five years, but it's still better than wood.
                      Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A
                      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Installed heated grips on the Bus today...

... looking forward to having toasty hands on my annual Christmas Day ride tomorrow!
                        2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                        2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Im about to tear into a Kitchen Aid Mixer that refuses to run. It ran when it was out away.
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                            Im about to tear into a Kitchen Aid Mixer that refuses to run. It ran when it was out away.
                            Keep us posted on how it goes
                            1977 GS550

Comment

Working on my 900F. Got it clear coated last weekend and hope to have everything put back on this weekend. Yesterday, I just got the seat assembly put back together.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                              Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
                                Keep us posted on how it goes
                                Well it a 2012 Classic mode as indicated by the service manual serial number decode page
                                Made in week 37.
                                White in colour and with some clear indicators of the PO dicking about inside. Damaged screw heads, loose screws etc.
                                The grease is old enough that it has separated in the usual way.

I tore it down to remove the drive and driven gears as being a root cause of failure. All gears are in good shape.

The worm geared motor output shaft spins freely so its not a bearing binding issue.
                                I removed the brushes and the PO buggered up the spring on one. It still forces the brush in place but its twisted.
                                Commutator shows a bit of dirt buildup.

In order to not need adjustment of the speed control I am removing the motor with the controls in place if possible.

I am thinking of just hooking the ac leads to the armature leads bypassing all the electronics and mechanical contact switches.

More to come
                                or none as this may be a shocking experience.
                                This is the most fun I have had in months.
                                Last edited by Cipher; 12-29-2016, 04:33 PM.
                                1983 GS 550 LD
                                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                                X