what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trevor View Post
    Not really wrenching...but made a make shift paint booth in my garage today to paint my Yosh exhaust in preparation to install on my new to me 750
    Any paint booth with records, a turntable and Tom Petty playing is O.K. in my book.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Not actually done any wrenching today, but yesterday I replaced the yellow (8oz) spring in the SU carb with a less stiff red (4.5oz) spring. Reason I had stuck with the yellow spring was that after improving the airflow with a better filter the setup just popped and farted, bogged and hesitated with the red.
      The other day, I discovered why - I have a collection of red springs and one stood out as being different from the others. They all tested approximately right but some of them were a bit on the low side, like just a touch under 4oz. The one that stood out tested as being bang on 4.5oz and was a bit longer. I think I'd bought that at the same time as the yellow one, but actually fitted one of the weaker ones instead.

Anyway, the proper red (4.5oz) fitted and it burst into life without a pop or a fart or any hesitation yesterday. Same needle, jet, filter, everything.
      I suspect the improper compressions pre-rebuild were having an effect. Now that everything's running properly the carb is more in its groove, kind of thing.
      The weather was foul, so left it until today for a run out.
      It's definitely running ok, but now I have to make up an easy-on / easy-off harness for the AFR gauge so I can set it up right.
      The needle selection until now has been seat-of-the-pants guesswork backed up by plug chops, so not all that accurate and I've been very leary of working it too hard in case I run into a hard lean condition at full throttle - melted pistons are so much fun.
      Last edited by Grimly; 09-29-2019, 11:11 AM.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Changed the stator cover gasket after adding new screws & rollers to the starer clutch.
        Did try to use it for the 6th time, split in 3 places & it finally failed to hold oil.
        Left boot was spewed on a recent ride, actually felt oil hitting rear tire on left handers.
        It rained hard after ride, so my negligence got washed away.
        Not a pleasant 200 mile + ride knowing oil is leaking out. Got a fresh one in, all is well now.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
          Not really wrenching...but made a make shift paint booth in my garage today to paint my Yosh exhaust in preparation to install on my new to me 750

Very nice header and pipe!
          Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
          2006 GSXR 750

Comment

We had perfect weather for painting today so i Striped the GS1000G tank and got to light sanding a few imperfections to find lots of loose cracked body filler (skim coat) with rust under it. A simple light rub to get it ready became a full blown respray. Anyway, All gouged out now and sanded and treated and re filled. The tank was originally painted white. So may have been an ex police tank? Will finish shaping and final prep tomorrow before primer goes on.

Comment

Decided I'd tempted fate enough with the worn Conti Blitz on the rear (tramlining like it's going out of style, every journey became an adventure) so plucked another rear wheel out of the stash and set to fitting a Golden Tyre G201 * onto it. That's a radial, so I'm looking forward to getting the winter out of it with (hopefully) better road manners. The Blitz was fine actually, until it got well worn, but the last 3mm or so of tread just vanished really quickly.
              That above was the plan - get stuck in and fit a couple of tyres or more, until I looked at the clock and realised I'd spent most of the afternoon clearing crap off the the tyre bench to make way for the action. By that time my back was yelling at me to stop.
              Tomorrow it is, then.

* One of these
              ---- Dave
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Replaced a leaking drain plug o-ring on the #3 carb on my wife's 850. Wasn't leaking enough to leave a puddle, but just enough to make the bottom of the carb wet and stink up the garage.
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Moved the fuse box and installed the SH775 R/R on my '82 GS550L

20191019_161943.jpg

Comment

Converted the TUX over to Suzuki Alloy Snowflakes from some of my GS parts bikes.
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                    Originally posted by Hayabuser
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

That's more like it.
                      The previous oil temp gauge was giving me conniptions by its tendency to wander off the top of the scale when I was pressing the bike hard.
                      At first I believed it, but then realised that things didn't quite ring true as there wasn't really much more heat rising off the engine than I'd been used to.
                      After a good run, the new gauge (with its proper matching sensor) reads a sensible temperature.

---- Dave

Comment

For the first time since I began street riding in 92... I drained the gas from the carbs. I haven’t been on the bike since the end of August and since I won’t likely get a year ending ride or mid winter rip, I figured it would be smart to do. The gas was well on its way to badness and looked like pizz. Even with stabilizer added.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Finally got my '81 GS450L running better.
                          Was troubleshooting what I thought was a carb problem, but turned out to be a bad ignitor.
                          Didn't want to get burned with buying a bad used ignitor again, so substituted with HEI modules.
                          Works great.
                          HEI pic.jpg

Comment

Changed the oil/filter in my 91 Vanagon, I've owned since 1998.
                            15/50 Mobil 1, Mann oil filter- 250k.
                            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by rfkac View Post
                              Was troubleshooting what I thought was a carb problem, but turned out to be a bad ignitor.
                              Didn't want to get burned with buying a bad used ignitor again, so substituted with HEI modules.
                              Works great.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]59374[/ATTACH]
                              Excellent stuff.
                              Using the original triggers?
                              ---- Dave

Comment

Originally posted by rfkac View Post
                                Works great.
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]59374[/ATTACH]
                                Details please! I attempted this on my 82 450 when I rebuilt it and discovered my ignitor was dead, but all the information I found to do it referenced signal generators with higher impedance figures and the firing was just all wrong and I never got it running beyond an idle. I ended up getting a hold of another ignitor fortunately.

On another topic... this week I have repaired my horn mount on the Kat and got the VM33 Smoothbores installed again with the altered slides ready to start tuning.
                                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                                X