• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ouch....this will hurt...

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
      Are you SURE about that? True, there's been a few scuttlebutt's in that region during the course of their lifetimes but I'm not sure that equates to the experiences of a full out war. My grandfather served in the south pacific during WWII, I'm not sure that qualifies me to say I'm honestly battle-ready.
      Hmmm...

maybe I better explain that "blanket statement" I used to described the people of Ukraine.

<Well-familiar with war>

What I mean is, Ukrainians have seen conflict by living in the middle of it.

What kind of conflict? That is not easy to describe because WE Americans don't live there.

I did spend a year in Iraq from 2007-08 so I have seen Iraqis live their lives not knowing who is infiltrated (opposing clans) within their communities to target people they deem a threat. Although I lived inside the wire, there were Iraqis who went home outside the wire.

I can't compare Iraq to Ukraine because they are two totally different countries BUT the infiltration part may be a similarity.

I'm not saying Ukrainians are battle-tested...just familiar with conflict because they live in it.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
        Hmmm...

maybe I better explain that "blanket statement" I used to described the people of Ukraine.

<Well-familiar with war>

What I mean is, Ukrainians have seen conflict by living in the middle of it.

What kind of conflict? That is not easy to describe because WE Americans don't live there.

I did spend a year in Iraq from 2007-08 so I have seen Iraqis live their lives not knowing who is infiltrated (opposing clans) within their communities to target people they deem a threat. Although I lived inside the wire, there were Iraqis who went home outside the wire.

I can't compare Iraq to Ukraine because they are two totally different countries BUT the infiltration part may be a similarity.

I'm not saying Ukrainians are battle-tested...just familiar with conflict because they live in it.

Ed

Thanks for clarifying that. Let's not forget that life in hostile territory exists all over the planet and it's effects can often take generations to work themselves out. Understand this as a factor in the personal condition of others, don't use it as a reason to endorse an excuse for further behavior. $h!t happens, move on.
        Last edited by LAB3; 02-27-2022, 11:01 AM.
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Oh peachy ..... The wing nut just got wingier ..... A little birdie is telling me the Russian fail safe system isn't as good as the Yank's .......
          President Vladimir Putin has ordered Russian nuclear forces on high alert amid tensions with the West over his invasion of Ukraine.
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
            Oh peachy ..... The wing nut just got wingier ..... A little birdie is telling me the Russian fail safe system isn't as good as the Yank's .......
            https://apnews.com/article/russia-uk...e5a2f936725550
            I simply don't understand. Ukraine didn't turtle so now he gone to the north Korea playbook.
            I assume he's safe in a bunker afraid of assassins. Bunkered leadership never ends well.

So now if Ukraine holds for several days it may come down to high level mutinies
            I can't see putin surviving if this drags on. He will be hung by his heels if it fails outright.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Belarusian special forces are loading onto airplanes in preparation for an air assault on Kyiv in what would be a widening of the war, military sources have claimed.

Ukrainian intelligence has reportedly learned from within Belarus that ‘special ops’ troops have been spotted loading up planes for a major attack.
              The Ukrainian state security service has officially reported that a rocket attack on Zhytomyr Airport - located some 93 miles west of Kiev - was launched from the territory of Belarus.
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I've herd many reasons for this invasion...none make sense to me.
                Not worth human suffering for either side ...

Comment

Increasing anti war in Ukraine protests in Russia.
                  As Russian troops were closing in on the Ukrainian capital, more and more Russians spoke out Saturday against the invasion, even as the government's official rhetoric grew increasingly harsher. According to OVD-Info, rights group that tracks political arrests, at least 460 people in 34 cities were detained over anti-war protests on Saturday, including over 200 in Moscow. Open letters condemning Russia's invasion of Ukraine kept pouring, too.
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Ongoing developments in Ukraine. Putin's days are getting darker and shorter.
                    As Russian troops were closing in on the Ukrainian capital, more and more Russians spoke out Saturday against the invasion, even as the government's official rhetoric grew increasingly harsher. According to OVD-Info, rights group that tracks political arrests, at least 460 people in 34 cities were detained over anti-war protests on Saturday, including over 200 in Moscow. Open letters condemning Russia's invasion of Ukraine kept pouring, too.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Excerpt:
                      "
                      McMaster added that Putin had failed to understand that Ukraine is not an autocratic regime where a political decapitation would be effective.
                      "The Ukrainian people are fighting for their freedom. They're fighting for democracy. They're fighting for one another and their sovereignty and that just doesn't go away"

As I said previously, the Ukrainians aren't going anywhere. They're home, are going to stay the course and are not inclined to return to a system of Russian boots on their backs. I think Putin greatly misjudged their resolve in thinking he would run over them in 2 or 3 days and it would be a done deal.

H.R. McMaster, who served as former President Trump's national security adviser, said on Sunday that Russian President Vladimir Putin "got a lot more than he bargained for" when he invaded Ukraine last week.Appearing on CBS's "Face the Nation," McMaster said Ukrainian forces have done a "tremendous" job."I think Putin got a lot more than he bargained for. He's in a very difficult position," McMaster told host Margaret Brennan. "And I think...

Comment

It's refreshing to see heroism in a nation's head of state. Putin may forever be "The Bad Guy" in history ( assuming he or his ilk don't get to write it).

Comment

Remember when Bush the Younger said he looked into Putin's eyes and saw good? He was fooled because Putin knew a few quotes from the bible.

To a man, every other person who has looked into Putin's eyes has seen evil. Or a blank nothingness. Or, to quote Mitt Romney, "I saw the KGB."
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Although I'm tempted to comment on Shrubs ability to judge good from evil it's more important to note that those who operate without objective observers to provide feedback often create fantasies they cannot escape from.
                            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Would anyone care to comment on whether or not these guys are telling the truth, which seems to be that Putin, anticipating a walk in the park, sent in trans Ural troops with a story about an exercise?
                              The Russian government is not releasing details about the number of casualties it is sustaining in its invasion of Ukraine. But Ukraine is posting images of killed and captured soldiers, asking Russians to help ID them.
                              97 R1100R
                              Previous
                              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                                Would anyone care to comment on whether or not these guys are telling the truth, which seems to be that Putin, anticipating a walk in the park, sent in trans Ural troops with a story about an exercise?
                                https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-russ.../31726619.html
                                Or sent in trans Ural reservists as cannon fodder knowing their loss would not arouse mass demonstrations were they from Petersburg or Moscow.
                                1983 GS 550 LD
                                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                                X