Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Triumph Speed 400 and Scrambler 400 - Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triumph Speed 400 and Scrambler 400 - Thoughts?

So here in the states, the new Triumph Speed 400 is suppose to hit the dealers in January.
    As I approach 70, i find myself very interested in a low cost, light weight, more standard bike.
    Seems to me, at 375 lbs wet and 40hp it could be a lot of fun. Especially at the $5K price, (probably close to 6K with options, fees and taxes).

Anywho....I configured one in blue, and sent it to my dealer. See what they say....

Street on the left, Scrambler on the right...

Early cycle world review: https://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycl...t-test-review/
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

If it's kept under 6k sticker, it looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

Comment

Agreed on all points, Bob, especially the blue.

You're going for the Street, I assume?
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Agreed on all points, Bob, especially the blue.

You're going for the Street, I assume?
        Most likely, although the Scrambler is tempting.

Also, CFO is not "officially" on board yet. But working on it...

Comment

I think you'll love that bike in either version. My brother and a local friend here bought the 390 KTM Adventure a few years ago and just love the balance of power and lightweight which is quite comparable to the Triumph. That bike has pretty much become their daily rider. They are very user friendly for lack of a better term.
          Last edited by Sandy; 12-08-2023, 05:22 PM.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post

Most likely, although the Scrambler is tempting.

Also, CFO is not "officially" on board yet. But working on it...
            LOL, I've always referred to that as "Clearing it with corporate"

Those are sweet looking and interesting bikes, I'm thinking about the Speed 400 myself. I assume you've seen this video?

Thanks to Progressive for sponsoring this episode of CTXP. Learn more about America’s #1 motorcycle insurer at https://rvz.la/3su6b6LUmling La is the highest...

If you're on the Adventure Rider forum there's a big thread on the Scrambler version.

The other new lightweight bike that's really caught my attention is the new Royal Enfield Himalayan.
            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I was looking at the baby scrambler as possibly my next bike, before the Tiger popped into view. I do still prefer the styling of the Triumph Twins (yes, I know the 400 is a single, but looks like the bigger twins, otherwise). Maybe if my son starts looking for a new bike, I’ll gently nudge him toward the 400X. He’d have no choice but to keep it in my garage, and I’d have no choice but to make sure it got fresh gas run through it regularly.
              Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 12-09-2023, 09:17 AM.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post

Those are sweet looking and interesting bikes, I'm thinking about the Speed 400 myself. I assume you've seen this video?

Thanks to Progressive for sponsoring this episode of CTXP. Learn more about America’s #1 motorcycle insurer at https://rvz.la/3su6b6LUmling La is the highest...

If you're on the Adventure Rider forum there's a big thread on the Scrambler version.

The other new lightweight bike that's really caught my attention is the new Royal Enfield Himalayan.
                Rich, i've watched that video twice now.
                The camerawork is as spectacular as the scenery, the comaraderie between the leads is fun and oh yeah, the bike are impressive, too.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

So the local Triumph dealer here in Knoxville wants a $1000, NON-refundable deposit to hold one.
                  And that's not going to happen....

Guess I can check other dealers within a couple hours....

Comment

That road will definitely tighten your sphincter. I've done it twice in a Toyota Qualis { Indian version of a Landrover } ..... The second time I took a mountain bike and would have my driver let me out at pass summits. Sometimes you can get 10 or more miles of downhill ..... Sometimes you have to back up a mile or so to pass the truck coming the other way because the road is so narrow.... And even when you do pass the road is still narrow and a thousand or more feet straight down on one side. The first time my driver passed a truck in one of those sections I couldn't believe the wheels were still on the road because looking out the window I couldn't see any road just cliff.... After that I had him drop me off in those places and after he passed the truck I would get back in .....Those drivers seem to know exactly how wide their vehicle is .... { Though my personal opinion is they're just plain nuts ! }
                    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                    1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                      So the local Triumph dealer here in Knoxville wants a $1000, NON-refundable deposit to hold one.
                      And that's not going to happen....

Guess I can check other dealers within a couple hours....
                      I'm thinking of waiting until next fall. Ought to be some pristine, low mileage used ones available, without all the BS add-on fees.

I see you found the AdvRider forum.
                      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I'm thinking of waiting until next fall. Ought to be some pristine, low mileage used ones available, without all the BS add-on fees.
                        Well, I normally buy used. In fact, I've only bought one new motorbike in my life, and that was in 1975, so I kinda wanted to try it again.
                        I have a list of other Triumph dealers within 2-3 hours from the house. I'll call around next week.

I see you found the AdvRider forum.
                        LOL....I registered there years ago, but had to start over and re-register...

I did read the whole 400X thread...Interesting.
                        Last edited by Baatfam; 12-09-2023, 04:26 PM.

Comment

I think a smaller bike would be fun. For me, that currently looks to be a DR650 on the horizon, but I have such good memories of RZ350s and a GS500E.
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                            I think a smaller bike would be fun. For me, that currently looks to be a DR650 on the horizon, but I have such good memories of RZ350s and a GS500E.
                            Have you looked at the new RE Himalayan? Vast improvement over the current version. As with the Triumph, there's a huge thread over on Adventure Rider.
                            Also about a billion really cool videos on YouTube, RE has done a phenomenal promotional job with this bike.

Comment

Yep, I did a bunch of reading on pretty much all the middleweight adventure bikes. To be honest, if money allows, I might buy a Tenere 700, but it's hard to beat the DR for reliability, parts and modification availability, and a vast body of knowledge about every detail of the machine. The Tenere's engine is also a proven commodity. Not so much the new Sherpa engine in the RE.

Edit: Something else I am taking into consideration is weight. The RE weighs almost as much as the Tenere, gassed up, but has half the horsepower and less suspension travel. The DR weighs 75 pounds less but makes about the same horsepower as the RE with far more suspension travel.
                              Last edited by GS1150Pilot; 12-10-2023, 11:45 AM.
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X