X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swanny,

Driver/builder error......

two major factors:
    1) I didn't have a push/pull throttle installed just a pull. I knew the carbs were hanging up but "I could handle it"
    2) my rear brake was not hooked up due to lazyness and having to re/re it a couple of times.

Ad a little freezing rain and you have the front end being pushed out very quickly. I grabbed the clutch as well but it was too late.

I had cracked the throttle on a very short stretch...(also dumb) aproaching a light. So it was a left turn, crack the throttle followed by a hard stop. the stop was much harder than expected.

I was a complete idiot, I admit it and deserve my plight completely. If I had made sure my throttle was correct and my rear brake was active...this wouldn't have happened.

The carbs had hung up a few times but it wasn't a probem till I had no rear brake.

When the front end washed out I hit the road in a nano-second..it was an instant with no time to react. Chock one up for stupidity..
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Katman, when they go, they go fast.

Not having a rear brake and the throttles the way they were explains a lot. I've done some stupid thing also. You lived through this one - some don't.

Comment

I have been procrastinating on the throttles and since I was only going on very short test runs I thought I would get away with it....I didn't

my problem is I usually do.
        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

I know EACTLY what it feels like to roll over and leave my shoulder behind. It's a scary feeling ;-) I turned the head of my humorus into a half a dozen slivers. :-(
          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro
            I know EACTLY what it feels like to roll over and leave my shoulder behind. It's a scary feeling ;-) I turned the head of my humorus into a half a dozen slivers. :-(
            NOthin funny about that.............
            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Man, That throttle jamming open musta felt freaky.
              Glad I ran push/pull from day one :?

Comment

it's more like a hangup. it comes down but slower...though this time it kept giddeon up....

Never again without the push pull.... I got off lucky I figure.. could have hurt someone else in the process and that is unacceptable....

I am two blocks from the hwy and thought if it sticks there, which it had a few times...it is easy to control..lots of room. but I got caught with my pants down. Pride will get you in trouble every time.
                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

return cables

Running smoothbores without a return cable is very risky buisiness and running flatslides without them borders on suicidal. Did you have trouble finding them, if so Barnett will supply you with cables. They are not expensive.

Comment

A good fix is to get the right bar control from a DR400S, the Dual sport model. (mine was from a 2000). It has the starter button and kill button not integrated into the throttle like the GS bikes. then add the push/pull from Mikuni and it looks factory. The DR also has a push/pull throttle that will work.

Comment

Thanks guys,

I was running an sv1000 push pull but it broke so I ran the stock just to sort out the carb problem. it took a lot longer than antisipated. the sv also has the seperate control so I think I will just buck up and order one from APE or PINGEL or somewhere......

Does the DR cables fit this??

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

They look the same. Check part numbers

Comment

what year and model DR do you recommend? I prefer this throttle to the standard gs p/p one.

thanks,
                          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

I was waiting for a set of p/p cables that a guy I know said he was sending me..another reason why I didn't go out and buy a set. Still no excuse on my part.
                            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Glad to see you and the bike are not worse Rob. 8O
                              That's minimal damage for sure, glad they are going to operate on your shoulder so quick.

I have been gone the past 2 wks, and come back to the boards, and count 17 accidents.

wow

If you need something just holler, and I will check the garage.

Heal quick,
                              Ron

Comment

When I was looking for a push pull throttle for my 38 smoothies I had used a set off a mystery bike that were the right length. When I put the 89 gsxr front end on I had to get longer cables, so I just made them. They didn't last!! The problem was finding a set with the right ratio. The newer bikes have a shorter distance to open the carbs and that is the last thing you want with the smoothies. I think it would be like running a 1/4 pull throttle. What I ended up using was (I think 78 or 79) gs 1000 throttle. The cables are a little long but work. Keep in mind my bike is not the beauty yours is and appearance is not a big thing for me. They seem to work but I will be watching to see what you end up with to see if it will work for me.

Good luck and heal well, Gerry

Edit to show the big spring that helps.

and the cables

Comment

Working...
                                X