No announcement yet.

How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noonan went 246mph on the salt flats with that bike. Still it was street driven motorcycle. Nothing like a turbo to have that extra WHAM BAM thankya MAAM horsepower. Me 143mph 1974-900kaw(1018) and 146mph 1985 yamahopper V-MAX. Don't know yet on my 1981GS1000 or my 1991GSX1100. I'm older now and body parts heal slower.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Jedi
      Dunno, I suspect ~130 on my '82 GS1100EZ a few years back.

Going from San Diego to Yuma for a training op in '94 (USMC), The bike was new (to me). I had just gotten it back from the shop where I had a tune-up, safety check, and tires done. I had not ridden it any real distance yet, and had not ridden a bike that could move for years (traded my old '80 Honda CM400 for it. 'nother story).

I went out on Interstate 8 or 10, I forget which. The one that is a straight shot to Yuma anyway. After a bit, I noticed the roads open, clean, and dry. It was a warm day, but not hot yet, so melted asphalt was not a problem yet. I decided to go 85 and watch the radar detector. I lay down on the tank bag, feet back, and cruise....
      semper fi
      I notice I am passing cars like they are standing still. No radar, a sky scan tells me no speed planes... So I just keep going and watching.

A few hours later, "Yuma 14". What? Yuma is still hours away! I notice I am near redline. At 85? Quick check, Yup, top gear. Hmmm... And what's this little peg by the 85 on my speedo?

D'Oh!

Nearly out of gas, I let the throttle go, and the needle finally moves off 85 at about 3500 RPM. Sunofa...

I was checked in, got my room, a base pass, and already back out the gate headed for town before my next fastest colleague came in. Another bike, of course (Honda V45). His speed was intentional, though.

God, I miss that bike. Beyond doubt the best bike I have ever owned. Blew the shifter shaft O-ring while a friend was riding it. Seized up once it ran out of oil. I sold it to him for $500, about what I had invested in it.

Comment

Did a little research out of curosity, after reviewing several bike publications and road tests of the period, I came up with the following MEASURED top speeds for several models discussed. This into was found at several bike sites with road test info incl. bikez.com(an encyclopedia site)
        All speeds listed are actual :
        1980 GS850- 123mph
        1982 CBX- 129mph (aerodynamic coefficient of 2 bricks)
        1981 GS1000- 130mph
        1981 Z1000- 131mph
        1981 XS1100- 133mph
        These were new, freshly built bikes run by professionals.
        I believe it is a bit of an overstatement to suggest slight mods such as a pipe, jet kit and gearing changes will "easily" add 15mph on the top end
        of any of these machines. These mods will increase quickness and help with throttle response, but not produce that much difference. Even the mighty 1990 GSXR1100 was "only" listed at 144mph, with wind tunnel designed streamlining at that. I don't know much about dogs or puppies, but I do know that there are not many unstreamlined 1980's street bikes that will "easily" top 140mph

Comment

What is the conversion for km's to miles? I can do about 160km/h with my dinky 400. Oooo yeah! 8)

Comment

fast/ Tiff

1965 BSA lighting Rocket with full sifton motor built, to max street 127mph , 1971 triumph street tracker, 650 .040 over ported, forged pistons, mega cycle cams 124mph, 1979 gs 1000L stock about 120mph according to speedo but may have been more or less the other 2 bikes where on radar, the bsa at 127 got me in jail, but my court date was the day before Xmas and the highway patrol cop didn't show and the judge had to let me go, may xmas to me oh Tiff 160khm is about 100mph

Comment

Originally posted by Tiffany
              What is the conversion for km's to miles? I can do about 160km/h with my dinky 400. Oooo yeah! 8)
              One mile is 1.602 km so about a ton then, did you know you are not allowed to ride that fast? Bad girl! :twisted:

Comment

KM * 0.621371192237334 = Miles

Comment

I guess then the 1150E is one of the "not many" huh? :-)

Earl

Originally posted by oldschoolGS
                  Even the mighty 1990 GSXR1100 was "only" listed at 144mph, with wind tunnel designed streamlining at that. I don't know much about dogs or puppies, but I do know that there are not many unstreamlined 1980's street bikes that will "easily" top 140mph
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Yes, I would say you are correct. The mighty 1985GS1150E was listed at 139mph. I suppose with a pipe, jetting and regearing- 140+ should be attainable, if you can hold on. The GS1150 and Yamaha V-Max were probably the two strongest bikes prior to 1986 and are certinely capable of 140mph.

Comment

Holding on is good. :-)

Earl

Yes, I would say you are correct. The mighty 1985GS1150E was listed at 139mph. I suppose with a pipe, jetting and regearing- 140+ should be attainable, if you can hold on. The GS1150 and Yamaha V-Max were probably the two strongest bikes prior to 1986 and are certinely capable of 140mph.
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

dont forget about the honda v-65 sabre

Comment

I cut the tip off the speedo needle on my 1100EZ to get past the stop peg. Don't know the actual speed but the needle will go straight down!
                          Used to be VERY scary at those speeds 'til i rebuilt the forks and swingarm.

Comment

hey

I've reached a dangerous 80mph on my bike. it needs some adjustments..... but then again it is a GS400E...... can someone help me with puttin a 4 cylinder engine in my bike.....

Comment

I used to hit 180km/h on a regular basis on my 84 GS1150 back when I was riding to work in sunny Alberta, where the roads are straight and wide, and not a whole lot of traffic (or cops!).

That's about 112mph (indicated) for our neighbours to the south.

Comment

Steve,
                                They make a 4 cylinder GS400E, I've seen pictures.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X