New GS1100 G Restoration Project. Rebuilding my Dad's bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sight glass

Looking at your blog you had a question about the sight glass. What I have done in the past is to replace it with a watch crystal. They come in any diameter and you don't have to worry about them deteriorating like that down the road. Use epoxy or silicon to glue it in place.

Comment

Originally posted by althomas101 View Post
      Looking at your blog you had a question about the sight glass. What I have done in the past is to replace it with a watch crystal. They come in any diameter and you don't have to worry about them deteriorating like that down the road. Use epoxy or silicon to glue it in place.
      Thanks for that althomas101.

Does it come out from the inside or outside of the reservoir?

How do you get it out?

Greetings
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Boy, I have to say your Blog is top notch. Wish I had the time to do all that with my restorations. And the links you have are great. Very nice project, especially with the history of the bike. Subscribed!
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

When you put the lump back in the frame, pipe insulation protects the paint quite well.

And 3/8" bar through the mounting holes allows easy lifting into place.

-Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Thank you. You are very kind.
            Richard
            sigpic
            GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

Looks like a brilliant way to do things. Thanks allojohn.
              Richard
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                Looks like a brilliant way to do things. Thanks allojohn.
                You're welcome, I'm following you with interest.
                -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Day 91 Engine Photos

Just to show you how much work I have to do. Here are some engine photos:

See them all on the blog: My GS1100 Blog

Bad corrosion at the back.

And front!

I reckon the "before" and "after" shots are going to be sensational (if we ever get that far).

Greetings
                  Richard
                  sigpic

Comment

Day 91 Starter Gear Assembley

I needed to put the stator cover back on in order to seal the engine for washing. It was quite a bind getting all the wiring inside and it was catching on the starter gear assembley. So I decided to take it out for the time being.

Full story on my blog: My GS1100 Blog entry or Full Blog: Full Blog

I lost the thrust washer at first. I heard it falling but couldn't find it. Ended up behind the starter clutch flywheel cog (?).

Greetings
                    Richard
                    sigpic

Comment

Day 91 Engine Clean Preparation

You've all read the threads that look like this:

"took the engine out, cleaned it up, painted it and put it back in".

Don't think my entries will ever be so simple. Well you can see I have the engine out. Now it needs cleaning up before we start work on it. Just this one task is a big job in itself. We don't want any water getting into the engine do we? There's nearly 2 hours work right here.

So I put all the engine covers back on and need to close up the intakes and exhausts.

See the full story here: My GS1100 Blog

She won't miss the rubber gloves.

Greetings
                      Richard
                      sigpic

Comment

Water worries me. Maybe try to use some good degreaser, then clean that off, and then use turpentine after that. I'm sure that many have power sprayed their motors, and yours looks like crap, but what if you miss and punch a hole in that plastic? Not sure of the result. You can get that clean enough to paint, and if you don't want to paint then you can find a way to blast off that thing with soda maybe, then start sanding.

I know that a lot people worry that their paint job won't last. But, I say either have a pro do it or have a can of paint around to touch things up if it flakes or rubs off.

Comment

That's pretty much the standard condition of a lot of UK engines - road salt and our weather I suppose.

But you can make the things look like new again.

I usually strip the engine down and bite off a chunk at a time. The cases are easy to sort, it's the cylinders and head that are tricky. After years of pfaffing around I now get the cylinders media blasted - £20 or so. Then make sure that they are 100% clean of grit - including (and especially) the oilways.The head is a different thing as there are oilways that are really difficult to remove all the blast media from. So I still clean them up by hand - rifle barrel cleaning brushes, a dremel, wet and dry on a lolly stick etc.

Or give Redditch Shotblasting a ring. They claim to be able to blast a complete engine without risking getting any grit on the inside. I think it costs about £250 - and after a few weekends with a wire brush you might think it would have been worth it!
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks wedoo2 - I do want to get all the old original engine paint off so I am going to need paint stripper (VHT ?) and probably grit blasting. Not sure that soda blasting will be strong enough. Don't know yet whether to get a compressor and have a go or just give it to a professional. We shall see.

Greetings
                            Richard
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the offer old skool but actually the valve cover is in good condition. The worst part is the front of the engine and the flat part at the rear. This is just white powder at the moment.

But I am confident it is still useable. The engine turns over good. There is nothing seized. I suspect that I will get away with it. I will pop the head soon and we shall see.

Greetings
                              Richard
                              sigpic

Comment

hampshire I am going to follow your procedure. I will wash the engine (degrease it) as best I can with it all assembled. Then I will strip the top end and start on the cam cover, cylinder head and cylinder. I need to get all the old black paint off. I will try paint stripper and then resort to blasting.

I really didn't want to split the crank cases as it looks like a daunting task. But they do need blasting and I am sure that I can't do that will the crank and gears still in there. So I am slowly coming around to the idea that I have to split them and do a 100% rebuild in order to get the cases up to standard. Looks like I am going to need some more tools like pullers and so on.

Greetings
                                Richard
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X