what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YESTURDAY,

Got under a Bosch Dishwasher again- drain pump and soap dispenser failures - added up the parts $200 easy repair but decided to total it. Pulled it and then found that Best Buy could not sell me a Fridgaire or Samsung from stock (to match other appliances) so we wait, but got a great deal.

Then almost on cue, the microwave door catch failed. Found out how to remove the frame and found the most ridiculous mechanism for the spring return. Rigged up a fix (son's solution) and now we are cooking.

TODAY

My son has been taken under the wing of the local mechanic after school. It cost more for us to cart him to work, than he makes. I figured it was a good day to take advantage of what he learned and save on labor. In fact it was a great day with the boys, wrenching on an Isuzu Trooper that I rely on for my wife when bad weather hits. We bought this in the last year, addicted to it despite a few repairs. Today's accomplishments cleaned up consumables that were good and spent.

Rear brakes - pulsing and screeching to a stop so parked it until today for rotors and pads. Both sides were shot as one of the photos will tell the story. Pad gone on one and paper thin rotor on the other side.

New spark plugs - didn't quite get 20 years out of the old set. The photos will suggest that the smooth power is now on tap - and a throttle cable adjustment also helped. Went with Delcos in honor Great Grandpa who supervised the making of a million a day during WW2. Good for another 17 years right?

New x-ray vision headlights. This is my second set of the Silverstar Ultra lamps in a truck - glad I spent a little more every time I use them.

New Bosch wipers - the windshield was recently replaced, Safelite made a hard sell that I should get new blades with a new windshield - I elected otherwise, turns out they were right.

Wrapped that up and changed oil in my Chevy with a 496 (8.1), yet another engine that uses oil between changes.

Tried to change oil in the new to us minivan, first attempt failed. The dealer must have welded on the drain plug. Looks like the local mechanic will have to find me a less round head on a the plug. Just gave up laying under a low van. I suspect it will go on the rack and the aforementioned employer of my son with charge me $75/hour for my son to remove it with the advantage of a rack and impact.

On to the pictures.

Off with the old

End of pad service life.

Bolts going back in.

Capping it off.

6 like this makes and angry old Trooper.

In Great-Grandpas shadow - if the light is on, wrenching is happening.
    Last edited by yasser; 01-03-2015, 08:52 PM.
    Hondas
    '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
    Suzuki
    '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
    Kaw
    '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Put a new fork seal in my 450, and I changed the engine oil.

Comment

Brakes, brakes and more brakes. I've got the rear brake diassembled and noticed the one cup was a little stiff (insert pun here). I swapped them over and now they move a bit better. I looked over my shoulder a looked for the workshop gremlin but couldn't see him anywhere, maybe he was in the house hiding my car keys.

Comment

Originally posted by yasser View Post
          The dealer must have welded on the drain plug.
          Who would do that ????
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Jennifer, the stupid cow decided to spring a serious(ish) oil leak on the way to the Classic Motorcycle Club this morning. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Stopped at the garage to draw money from the ATM for breakfast and a few cold ones, only to see the left side of the bike covered in oil.
            A quick poke around revealed it coming from above the head gasket line...Pheeeww.
            Suspected a half moon seal, pulled the two caps there quickly, all dry.
            Got home, pulled the tank and did more thorough investigation, landed up tighting a bunch of cam cover bolts and replacing three of them that would not tighten up.
            We shall see tomorrow if it has fixed the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              Who would do that ????
              Kidding of course, but some kid must have hit it with an impact or other means, beyond a hand tool. One of those flat on your back, blind reaching under dripping air dams jobs. The boys said the engine was moving with each attempt to loosen the plug. I can only imagine how tight the filter is.

Again a new to me minivan. That said my mechanic has been doing oil changes on my other trucks for years and it is never a problem following up on their work. They get the van next.
              Hondas
              Suzuki
              Kaw
              '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Assembled a crib of my wife's single mom friend...My 2 kids are long out of cribs and i forgot how much i dislike assembling that crap.....
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                  Assembled a crib of my wife's single mom friend...My 2 kids are long out of cribs and i forgot how much i dislike assembling that crap.....
                  Ha!
                  That sucks... My day will come for that crap Glen, but at least a couple more years
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                  2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                  Originally posted by Hayabuser
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Disassembled the other 750e forks I have from Tkent02 so I can check them and then put them into my bike.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

My plow , the solenoids that switch the valves are not working they work then don't then work then don't,. It electrical in nature, and of course we have snow and more on the way! Its currently on the truck stuck in the down position and it is a Snoway with down pressure so you have to take the lines off to relive the pressure. Im hoping in the morning I will get it to raise and take it in to the shop where it is warm!

Comment

I just tidied up the workshop a bit after the hurricane of re-organisation, where everything was put someplace temporary. Only thing is, everything has now been moved to a new temporary place
                        I'm gradually working through it and creating more bench, storage and shelving as I progress, to reach the point where everything that I move will be put some place it actually, permanently belongs, in some sensible and logical layout, in which it is easy to put stuff back where it came from instead of leaving it laying at my ass.

One major thing happened though; the engine bench is now finished, and I'll be able to strip/reassemble on that from now on, with an over-bench fluoro light illuminating the whole thing as an adjunct to the general lighting. That makes a huge difference.
                        Last edited by Grimly; 01-04-2015, 10:25 PM.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Not my bike but will be working on it soon. I put 5" lift on my ranger, tie rods, axle pivot bushings,radius arm bushings ball joints. I just got it aligned and it runs great.I still need to put 8.8 explorer rear end in it., and reinstall the front sway bar. It has been an ongoing thing for about 3weeks. I pieced the procomp lift kit together with shocks front and back from rough country scratch and dent on ebay Extended rubber brake hoses from ebay someone else figured out which ones were needed on therangerstation. Its just a work truck, 2 wheel drive but I like it.
                          [IMG]][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
                            My plow , the solenoids that switch the valves are not working they work then don't then work then don't,. It electrical in nature, and of course we have snow and more on the way! Its currently on the truck stuck in the down position and it is a Snoway with down pressure so you have to take the lines off to relive the pressure. Im hoping in the morning I will get it to raise and take it in to the shop where it is warm!
                            Not fun in big snow country.
                            Hondas
                            Suzuki
                            Kaw
                            '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

FIAT windscreen wiper motor. Did a temporary repair to the motor brushes in 2006. Could only find oversize ones this time and had to trim them down and reset the park position as someone must have tried to use the wipers as a snowplough.
                              97 R1100R
                              Previous
                              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by scrapper View Post
                                Not my bike but will be working on it soon. I put 5" lift on my ranger, tie rods, axle pivot bushings,radius arm bushings ball joints. I just got it aligned and it runs great.I still need to put 8.8 explorer rear end in it., and reinstall the front sway bar. It has been an ongoing thing for about 3weeks. I pieced the procomp lift kit together with shocks front and back from rough country scratch and dent on ebay Extended rubber brake hoses from ebay someone else figured out which ones were needed on therangerstation. Its just a work truck, 2 wheel drive but I like it.
                                [IMG]][/IMG]
                                How many miles did it take to wear out all those suspension components?
                                sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                                X