anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
    Ill always vote for buying beer !! What did you get ?
    just a six of genny (genessee), it's the local old guy beer.
    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
    82 gs1100L probably the next project
    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Went out looking for a riding game tag and got distracted when I saw another bike with an old Vetter fairing. I turned into the same parking lot and parked where we visited for an hour. It was fun discussing the differences in these old bikes. I also got a lot of good route ideas from this guy and who knows maybe we'll hit some of those roads together sometime.

His 78 KZ 1000 took him four years off and on to restore.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

25 degreesF this morning.
        But upper 40s just after noon. THats good enough.
        Headed out. Destination about 55 miles north, wandered out on some roads thru national forest.

Stopped in only one place ... just watched the creek for a while and took some pictures.

Did make it to a couple different disc gold courses, including this one

Byy the time I was heading back, was low 40s.

About half way home the tach dropped to zero. THought of stopping to investigate, but thought probably just came loose from behind the tack.

ANd by the time I was near Spring Lake it was about sunset, thought of this boat launch might provide view over water in direction of the sunset.
        Yep.

This is what I found when got home.

Ew, about lost it. Had to clean a lot of gritt off of it, and relube it, and reinstall it.
        Not that often that need to use degreaser on chrome.
        Last edited by Redman; 11-13-2016, 12:00 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Blasting away on the TUX! Scrambler baby!!!

Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Really doesn't look to super in this picture but here is the "Super Moon".
            1982 GS 550 L

Comment

Another run on one of my favorite Mountain passes... for a 250 air-cooled thumper, she's got gumption!
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

IMG_1518.jpg
                I finally took my GS850G out today and put 41 miles on it. Actually my first time ever riding a motorcycle (with the exception of a 0.2 mile test run on the same bike). Enjoyed it a lot. Took advantage of it being Sunday and spent a while practicing slow-speed stuff in the empty parking lot. Might try to go take the road test tomorrow.

Comment

Chaz, a lot of us here are proponents of MSF courses.
                  Good luck tomorrow if you do take the test.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz View Post
                    I finally took my GS850G out today and put 41 miles on it. Actually my first time ever riding a motorcycle (with the exception of a 0.2 mile test run on the same bike). Enjoyed it a lot. Took advantage of it being Sunday and spent a while practicing slow-speed stuff in the empty parking lot. Might try to go take the road test tomorrow.
                    Good to hear you are enjoying it, and had a good 41 mile ride.
                    I would say that for your first time having a bike, you should spend lot of time in a parking lot... starting and stopping and making sharp slow speed turns (going down roads running thru the gears is the easy part).

Intersting that your 80 850G has a chrome front fender.

Do tell us more of you adventures.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      Originally posted by Chaz View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]48397[/ATTACH]
                      Good to hear you are enjoying it, and had a good 41 mile ride.
                      I would say that for your first time having a bike, you should spend lot of time in a parking lot... starting and stopping and making sharp slow speed turns (going down roads running thru the gears is the easy part).

(....)
                      Around here, one has to take a mandatory driving course, which takes either 8 hours or 12 hours (depends on already owned licences for different vehicles). Slow speed stuff, maneuvering, driving technique, emergency braking, driving with a passenger etc. is all teached & practiced there.

Those driving courses however are not intended for absolute beginners, it's recommended to have put in at least a few hundred miles before taking the courses.
                      For the exam/test, it's recommended to have at least 2000km (1200mi) under one's belt.

Up until the exam, you need to have a Learner's sign (L-Plate) next to your number plate.

In my opinion, it's a very good system.
                      Last edited by roeme; 11-14-2016, 04:22 AM.
                      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

I should add that while I've never ridden a motorcycle in the past, I've always driven with the mindset of someone that does (or worse...lol). I've also read up on it.

Yeah, I was slightly concerned about the low-speed stuff (watched too many youtube clips?). I actually had no trouble with it, though. Spent a few minutes doing it and could already throw it around pretty confidently. Glad I didn't buy a "starter" bike.

Not sure what the deal with the fender is (I've seen pictures of a few other "G" bikes with them...one actually a Suzuki ad). It's actually an '81, FWIW.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                          Around here, one has to take a mandatory driving course, which takes either 8 hours or 12 hours (depends on already owned licences for different vehicles). Slow speed stuff, maneuvering, driving technique, emergency braking, driving with a passenger etc. is all teached & practiced there.

Those driving courses however are not intended for absolute beginners, it's recommended to have put in at least a few hundred miles before taking the courses.
                          For the exam/test, it's recommended to have at least 2000km (1200mi) under one's belt.

Up until the exam, you need to have a Learner's sign (L-Plate) next to your number plate.

In my opinion, it's a very good system.
                          Interesting.

I had to pay $10 and score 80% on a basic 20 question test to get the "instructional permit"...no passengers, daylight only, no limited-access roads...wear a helmet and try not to die...lol. You can take the actual test at any time to get the full license: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d_jqRsjW4M

Comment

I took the MSF nearly a decade after getting my endorsement... Best thing to do with your time and skill set! I fell in love with the MSF course bike the TU250X (why I have one now).

Enjoy and good luck!!! It's a great time!
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Speaking of MSF and MSF bikes, here's me getting after my modified TUX!
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

I have done electrical work on the very first tu250x to ever be imported to the u.s., before they were available here. Neat bikes.

Comment

Working...
                                X