No announcement yet.

My new project thread: 78' GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love this. I'm working on a 78 GS750 of my own, learning along the way. Coming up on doing the forks now and I was wondering where you got your springs.

Also, mind sharing which gauges you ended up ordering?

Edit: Scratch that first question. Amazon Prime strikes again!
    Last edited by Guest; 02-13-2014, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
      Got my valve shim tool this weekend, so today I have checked clearances and figured out what shims I have...

Swapped two shims on the exhaust side but I'm in need of three shims on the intake side to bring them in to spec. So all in all four valves where too tight, and one was too loose.

I've also been in touch with a small company that does sandblasting and paint. I removed the rear wheel and swingarm today, only front forks, seat and rear fairing plus electrical to go now.
      This engine is dirty and ugly!

Wow!

I recognize this area...been cleaning that "Seal, TM Gear Shift Oil" on my "T".

You've got your work cut out for you...thanks for sharing.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by timbutterly View Post
        Love this. I'm working on a 78 GS750 of my own, learning along the way. Coming up on doing the forks now and I was wondering where you got your springs.

Also, mind sharing which gauges you ended up ordering?

Edit: Scratch that first question. Amazon Prime strikes again!
        I'm sorry I can't remember where I got them.

I ordered the gauges from DimeCityCycles, the 2.5" Black ones, I got them in the mail today and they look awesome!

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
        Wow!

I recognize this area...been cleaning that "Seal, TM Gear Shift Oil" on my "T".

You've got your work cut out for you...thanks for sharing.

Ed
        Definately. But I have recently figured that the perfect way to deal with this sort of grime is WD40, spray it on generously and let it work for a little while then remove with brush or rag or whatever and finally use a waterbased degreaser to get rid of the last few bits and whatever is left of the wd40

Got some packages today, pictures to come

Comment

^^WD40....OK, I've been using Isopropyl Alcohol but I will try the WD.

Ed

EDIT: Because of the strong smell, I may not use it as vigorously as the "quick-dry" alcohol.
          Last edited by GSXR7ED; 02-15-2014, 09:19 AM.
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
            ^^WD40....OK, I've been using Isopropyl Alcohol but I will try the WD.

Ed

EDIT: Because of the strong smell, I may not use it as vigorously as the "quick-dry" alcohol.
            Yeah, I saw it on this video about properly cleaning a motorbike. I have tried it on a few things and it truly works wonders.
            This short clip is taken from the '3x Bike Essentials' DVD available from DrivenandRidden.com.

Parts and stuff has arrived!

Frame was cut and shorthened

Comment

Sunday didn't go exactly to plan, we found some rust and as you know there is no such thing as a "minor" rust hole...
              So the better part of the day was used repairing the rust so my plan of getting the frame finished and ready for paint on monday didn't work out.

We managed to fill one of the holes but the other one just got bigger and bigger and in the end we had to cut out a section and weld in some fresh steel...

The ducktail was modified and the rear light mounts flush...

gsxr rearset

A short testride

Comment

Monday night and we managed to get some more work done, including making a bracket for the brakefluid reservoir, the rear indicators and we started on the seatpan!

I think we are done with the welding and the frame, only a couple of minor adjustments needed to get everything aligned perfect.

Need to figure out what I'm gonna do with the seat in regards to mounting it...

Comment

Your having fun!
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Tried on the tank and sidecovers today.

And I've noticed a problem with my right rearset. The gsx-r it's been on has probably been on it's side thus it's croocked...

Gonna try and get it in a press to get it straight again, there's always something isn't it

Comment

A small video of the rust repair...
                      Fixing a hole in the frame of my GS750.Jeg laget denne videoen med YouTubes videoredigerer (http://www.youtube.com/editor)

Comment

Second and final coat is on. Assembly this week, still need to prep and paint engine so in a week or two it should be done (famous last words)

Comment

Started to assemble some parts

Lots of wd40, degreaser and patience, still more to go but it'll do for now until the engine is in the frame and the bike can be wheeled of to a pressure washer.

EDIT: Here's the before picture

Last edited by Spiff; 02-25-2014, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Wow looking very good a lot of work but worth it when done,Brian

Comment

Oh, forgot to mention I changed the sump gasket and drain bolt washer.
                              Horrific sight as I pulled the sump pan, the entire strainer was covered in some sort of black goop. I think it might be old remnants of some silicon sealer or similar as I found a couple of screws also covered in it, maybe some previous owner didn't use a proper gasket or something and tried to fix it with sealant....
                              Got it cleaned up and the oilpump shouldn't have any hard time providing the engine with oil now!

Comment

Got my headlight ears yesterday, a friend of mine drilled one of them so I could fit the ignition barrel there. Mounted up most of the front end. The chassipaint I ordered sunday still hasn't arrived which is a drag 'cause it's the only thing keeping me from mounting the engine and finsihing up the bike since the engine mounts still aren't painted....

Comment

Working...
                                X